ReefCleaners.org

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

30 minutes ago, calvin said:

Googling where I can find roofing tar medication

I have Coal Tar Shampoo, would that suffice?

• Like 1

Ok, I have wifey agreed to setting up a QT/hospital tank. Now if I can get her to agree to two! I want one for fish and one for corals. I already have the light for the coral tank and petco is running their $1/gallon sale, so this shouldn't cost me too much

1 minute ago, calvin said:

Ok, I have wifey agreed to setting up a QT/hospital tank. Now if I can get her to agree to two! I want one for fish and one for corals. I already have the light for the coral tank and petco is running their $1/gallon sale, so this shouldn't cost me too much

My 15g Macro tank will be emptied tomorrow, at least that's the plan.....

But if you have to medicate it, it might better for you to just get a 10g. 

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

My 15g Macro tank will be emptied tomorrow, at least that's the plan.....

need to borrow a bucket or two? 

and what are you gonna do with the old tank?

4 minutes ago, calvin said:

need to borrow a bucket or two? 

and what are you gonna do with the old tank?

I could unquestionably use a bucket or two. :flower:

No plans yet for the old tank, that's the 15g I mentioned. 

A sign of new life is certainly welcome - spotted this little guy on the front glass this morning. Apparently some of the cerith babies from weeks ago survived. 

IMG_1024.JPG

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, calvin said:

A sign of new life is certainly welcome - spotted this little guy on the front glass this morning. Apparently some of the cerith babies from weeks ago survived. 

IMG_1024.JPG

Hooraaay, your Cerith babies survived too!!!

I'm seeing lotsa Stomatella babies recently too, mebbe you can get some when they're big enough if you like. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Now 4 weeks after the last death in the tank, it's time to rebuild. Nitrates are at or near zero in the DT and I now have a QT setup. I took Bella to the lfs today and we get our next little buddies. 

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

The QT is just a 10g with an AC20 and tiny Tunze ph i got from weetie. I have some filter floss and a couple of Murinepur spheres in it and another couple of spheres in the tank.

• Like 2

I need to pick up some pvc elbows or something to give the new couple some shelter if they want it.

I'm prophylacticly treating them with Prazipro for a while and will monitor them closely. I have some cupramin ready to go if needed. I'm not messing around this time.

• Like 3

I traded some codium with weetie for some c. barbata. I probably need to do some more macro trimming, but things are starting to come together again. I also got a cheap water container to use as an ATO reservoir to replace the ugly paint bucket that's been on the counter for a while. I've also started adding a little kalkwasser to my ATO water and will slowly add more to find the right level.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, calvin said:

Now 4 weeks after the last death in the tank, it's time to rebuild. Nitrates are at or near zero in the DT and I now have a QT setup. I took Bella to the lfs today and we get our next little buddies. 

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

The QT is just a 10g with an AC20 and tiny Tunze ph i got from weetie. I have some filter floss and a couple of Murinepur spheres in it and another couple of spheres in the tank.

Hooray, glad you two found some fishies you were happy with!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hooligan_78 said:

Cal, sorry if I missed it, but what skimmer did you end up going with?

Aquaeuro nano skimmer. It's not great but I do get wet, tea-colored skimmate out of it. 

And it's cheap

2 minutes ago, calvin said:

Aquaeuro nano skimmer. It's not great but I do get wet, tea-colored skimmate out of it. 

And it's cheap

I have the same tank, originally I was using the Tunze 9001, it required a little modding of the return. Skimmed okay, but then I got lucky and found one of the old style IM skimmers, round body, not that Ghost stuff they sell now.  The classic one skims like a beast.  I found it on ebay for like $50.  I'm also using the IM Spinner on my return, works really well.  

• Like 1
On 8/17/2017 at 1:04 PM, hooligan_78 said:

I have the same tank, originally I was using the Tunze 9001, it required a little modding of the return. Skimmed okay, but then I got lucky and found one of the old style IM skimmers, round body, not that Ghost stuff they sell now.  The classic one skims like a beast.  I found it on ebay for like $50.  I'm also using the IM Spinner on my return, works really well.  

I don't have much overhead clearance, so my options are limited.  

My new clowns turned their noses up at Prime Reef flake. Which is just as well since my toddler got a hold of the bottle today and dumped the entire contents. <_<

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, calvin said:

My new clowns turned their noses up at Prime Reef flake. Which is just as well since my toddler got a hold of the bottle today and dumped the entire contents. <_<

Let me guess what you'll be doing tonight... :lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, calvin said:

Oboy....

I bet the frozen Cyclops would work.