Pod Your Reef

Cal's Resurrection Desktop IM 20 - A lounge rat's contest tank

calvin

• 2 weeks later...

Contemplating  a skimmer. Don't have the overhead clearance to put one in the back chambers but maybe I could swing a HOB. Recommendations?

RayWhisperer

Stay away from eshops and bubble magus. Those are the only 2 hob skimmers I've tinkered with. Both were crap. Though, surprisingly, the eshops was the better of the two.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, calvin said:

Contemplating  a skimmer. Don't have the overhead clearance to put one in the back chambers but maybe I could swing a HOB. Recommendations?

Aquamaxx HOB

• Like 1

The resurrection tank needs some resurrection. Was out of town all last week and the decline continues. Fire shrimp died. BTA died. My last remaining fish is hanging in there but looks really skinny even though she eats every day.

I did another large wc last night and nitrates are <10ppm. I also replaced my Purigen which had definitely browned out. Carbon and floss were replaced end of last week.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next. I'm not having any algae issues. I'm actually contemplating ordering one of those Triton tests just to see what it comes up with.

Aquamaxx makes a reactor that I think I can actually fit in the back chambers, even with my limited overhead clearance.

My daughter was so sad when she found out our shrimp and nem had died. I just can't bear seeing her crying face over and over.

Anyway, many thanks to Weetie for looking after the tank last week while I was out. Things would have been much worse without her oversight.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, calvin said:

The resurrection tank needs some resurrection. Was out of town all last week and the decline continues. Fire shrimp died. BTA died. My last remaining fish is hanging in there but looks really skinny even though she eats every day.

I did another large wc last night and nitrates are <10ppm. I also replaced my Purigen which had definitely browned out. Carbon and floss were replaced end of last week.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next. I'm not having any algae issues. I'm actually contemplating ordering one of those Triton tests just to see what it comes up with.

Aquamaxx makes a reactor that I think I can actually fit in the back chambers, even with my limited overhead clearance.

My daughter was so sad when she found out our shrimp and nem had died. I just can't bear seeing her crying face over and over.

Anyway, many thanks to Weetie for looking after the tank last week while I was out. Things would have been much worse without her oversight.

Wish I coulda saved the Nem. :(

I have a couple of simple skimmers I could loan you just to get things back on track. 

One is a basic in tank wooden airstone model and the other is something you could hang on the side, on either end, again just temporarily cause it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. 

I suspect between the Gorg and the Brittlestar dying it just drove the 'Trates up and the tank needs time to get back into bacterial equilibrium/balance. 

You could also try adding bacteria. 

It's good that you got the 'Trates down and the Corals and Macros are looking fine, so it's not a total loss or anything. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wish I coulda saved the Nem. :(

I have a couple of simple skimmers I could loan you just to get things back on track. 

One is a basic in tank wooden airstone model and the other is something you could hang on the side, on either end, again just temporarily cause it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. 

I suspect between the Gorg and the Brittlestar dying it just drove the 'Trates up and the tank needs time to get back into bacterial equilibrium/balance. 

You could also try adding bacteria. 

It's good that you got the 'Trates down and the Corals and Macros are looking fine, so it's not a total loss or anything. 

Thanks, Weetie. I've found a small, inexpensive skimmer that I think I may try.

Ordered a small skimmer today.

Good news: nitrates appear to be down a little. It seems the purigen is doing its job.

Bad news: my last remaining fish, the B&W clown (why did THAT fish have to be the one that survived?), is still looking really skinny. But she still eats every day so I'm still holding out hope for a recovery.

• Like 1
reeftankguy

You'll live.

I'm don't have any fish and I'm fighting the brown stringy stuff atm. I don't plan on winning, but I am enjoying re-reefing just a tiny bit.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying it. GHA is under control and the ATO is the coolest thing ever. I need some nice coral colonies but I always end up buying frags. 

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

This thing is a friggin boat anchor. I've gotta feed x amount, then dose x amount. Everyday, topoff x amount, once a week waterchange x amount. Plus, my orange fleshy limpet decided to chow down on my orange tunicates. About 2/3 of that is gone now. So, now I've gotta get that turd out before the rest of my tunicates are toast. I miss not having a tank.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

This thing is a friggin boat anchor. I've gotta feed x amount, then dose x amount. Everyday, topoff x amount, once a week waterchange x amount. Plus, my orange fleshy limpet decided to chow down on my orange tunicates. About 2/3 of that is gone now. So, now I've gotta get that turd out before the rest of my tunicates are toast. I miss not having a tank.

You can send me your orange fleshy limpet for the Macro Experiment Tank. :)

23 minutes ago, duderubble said:

Sorry for your loss Cal. 

about to have another one. Just pulled a couple of hermits off of my last remaining fish. she's still alive and swimming around now but is banged up. I turned off my powerheads to make it easier for her but I'm sure she's a goner. 

I really don't want to have to tell Bella that our last fish has died. She's gonna be devastated. :(

7 hours ago, calvin said:

about to have another one. Just pulled a couple of hermits off of my last remaining fish. she's still alive and swimming around now but is banged up. I turned off my powerheads to make it easier for her but I'm sure she's a goner. 

I really don't want to have to tell Bella that our last fish has died. She's gonna be devastated. :(

Nooooooo!!!!! :(:(

reeftankguy
8 hours ago, calvin said:

Guys - can we bring the focus back to my death tank please?

This is just the first major bump in the road for your reef. Things will get back on track soon.;)

... Feel better now?:blink:

• Like 1

So besides stress, can you think of any other reasons a fish would go from fat to very skinny in 2 weeks, even while eating every day? My fish ate twice yesterday, then died that evening. I gave it a good once over and didn't notice anything unusual. 

I do have what looks like tiny isopods that I think came in with the gorgonians a couple of weeks ago, but from what I've read those tongue-eating isopods are pretty darn rare in the hobby.

edit: and I did notice rapid breathing

36 minutes ago, calvin said:

So besides stress, can you think of any other reasons a fish would go from fat to very skinny in 2 weeks, even while eating every day? My fish ate twice yesterday, then died that evening. I gave it a good once over and didn't notice anything unusual. 

I do have what looks like tiny isopods that I think came in with the gorgonians a couple of weeks ago, but from what I've read those tongue-eating isopods are pretty darn rare in the hobby.

edit: and I did notice rapid breathing

I am far from an expert on fish ailments, but wouldn't internal parasites do that?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I am far from an expert on fish ailments, but wouldn't internal parasites do that?

that's definitely one of the possible culprits. this was a CB fish, but I guess it could have gotten parasites from other wild-caught inhabitants in the tank