Pod Your Reef

SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion

SaltyBuddha

59 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I couldn't even imagine! Besides, I don't know how you keep it cool. My IM10 wants to push past 81 degrees right now in the summer and I even have a chiller on it!

I keep my a/c in the mid 70's and the tank heater set on 79, so it stays around there.  In the south, a/c is a necessity of life lol.  It's also currently lid-less so that helps.

A previous 5.5 I had with T5 bulbs and a glass lid with a Hydor Theo 25w heater would consistently stay in the mid-80's in mid-winter no matter what I set that stupid heater on.  Needless to say, that tank did not do very well.  I think I threw the heater out entirely, not even keeping for water changes, especially after reading stories of them exploding.  Why Visitherm Stealth heaters got recalled and that junk didn't, I will never understand. :wacko:

SaltyBuddha
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I keep my a/c in the mid 70's and the tank heater set on 79, so it stays around there.  In the south, a/c is a necessity of life lol.  It's also currently lid-less so that helps.

A previous 5.5 I had with T5 bulbs and a glass lid with a Hydor Theo 25w heater would consistently stay in the mid-80's in mid-winter no matter what I set that stupid heater on.  Needless to say, that tank did not do very well.  I think I threw the heater out entirely, not even keeping for water changes, especially after reading stories of them exploding.  Why Visitherm Stealth heaters got recalled and that junk didn't, I will never understand. :wacko:

Yeah I am here in southern CA but I don't want to run my AC all the time. Can't afford an electric bill like that so I just bought the chiller. Next I will just get a 20 or 30 gallon so I won't have to worry about it as much :rolleyes: besides, you always need room for more corals and fish!

2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Yeah I am here in southern CA but I don't want to run my AC all the time. Can't afford an electric bill like that so I just bought the chiller. Next I will just get a 20 or 30 gallon so I won't have to worry about it as much :rolleyes: besides, you always need room for more corals and fish!

Would a single-room a/c be doable?  Would def be cheaper than running central a/c lol.  And yeah, bigger tank = more room for everything and more $$ to pay for it! :lol:

• Like 1

@SaltyBuddha I like your LPS ledge a LOT!  Did you get storms today?  We got some rain in Burbank and a little thunder yesterday, but nothing today :(.  It's been soooo hot!  When my A/C kicks on at 7am, I know it's going to be a brutal day LOL. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
21 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Would a single-room a/c be doable?  Would def be cheaper than running central a/c lol.  And yeah, bigger tank = more room for everything and more $$ to pay for it! :lol:

For the time being the little chiller works pretty well. Next tank will definitely have a sump with a bigger refugium and a skimmer and this and that....eventually lol

20 hours ago, gena said:

@SaltyBuddha I like your LPS ledge a LOT!  Did you get storms today?  We got some rain in Burbank and a little thunder yesterday, but nothing today :(.  It's been soooo hot!  When my A/C kicks on at 7am, I know it's going to be a brutal day LOL. 

Thanks! Love my LPS ledge. Keeps them away from all my other corals. The toadstool was leaning over towards the frogspawn for the longest time. It finally got stung and now its hovering more on the other side. Amazing that these corals react like that.

It has been really nasty out lately! It rained yesterday and the day before here in Irvine. It has been hot and muggy ever since.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

For the time being the little chiller works pretty well. Next tank will definitely have a sump with a bigger refugium and a skimmer and this and that....eventually lol

Thanks! Love my LPS ledge. Keeps them away from all my other corals. The toadstool was leaning over towards the frogspawn for the longest time. It finally got stung and now its hovering more on the other side. Amazing that these corals react like that.

It has been really nasty out lately! It rained yesterday and the day before here in Irvine. It has been hot and muggy ever since.

Yep...corals are "smart" :).  Some aren't though LOL.  They just keep on taking a beating.  I thought today was going to be cooler, but nope.  Feels just as hot and muggy.  We're headed to Santa Monica soon to escape this nonsense and do a little school clothes shopping.

You'll have to check out RAP in the fall, if you've never been. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Haven't had an update in a while. This summer has been crazy. The tank has survived multiple (5+) 2 to 5 day leaves with no losses.

Battled Montipora Nudibranches and won. Actually got rid of them with the first treatment but followed up with another three just to be safe.

Cyanobacteria or Calothrix Battle

I've been battling this for a while now, but I don't know exactly what it is. It DOES NOT affect my corals or fish or even the aesthetics of the tank. You really have to look for it in the tank, but I want to get rid of it. 

Here is a summary of this nuisance in my tank:

• It ONLY grows in no or low light areas (under shelves, behind rocks, under equipment, etc.)
  • Dense hair-like and semi-translucent
  • Only grows between 1 and 2 cm
  • Easily removed with a toothbrush or by rubbing with finger
  • Comes back slightly within a week but does not explode in growth
  • Started in the back but has moved to new places after the first scrub
  • Produces air bubbles
  • Phosphates - 0 (I believe this is what it is using the most)
  • Nitrates normally between 10 and 20

I believe it is a form of Cyano. From what I've read there are many kinds (Calothrix included) that can show up in nature and reef tanks. What I have never seen in any of my research is a type that thrives in no to low light.

My small fuge mod has not been working. The chaeto does not grow and I believe this is due to the phosphates being used by the Cyano. My nitrates are therefore only controlled by water changes and they have been rising to levels that I do not like (20+).

How I plan to battle this unknown entity

• I am removing my chaeto system entirely. It is not exporting at all and has been stagnant. 
  • Bi-weekly Chemi-Clean additions
  • Introducing Phosguard to compete with the Cyano
  • Setting up a nano-skimmer to export excess nutrients
  • Introducing mangroves to the DT (mainly for fun but also to help export a little)

I will keep my LR rubble in the fuge area for the extra biological filtration.

I'm also doing some work on hanging the lights (main tank and mangrove lights) to give me some extra room around the tank.

If anyone has any other suggestions for steps to take, it is much appreciated.

• 6 months later...
SaltyBuddha
43 minutes ago, Segalplayer said:

March Nuvo 10 birthdays! Mines a year on the 30th

Awesome man!!! The only problem now is that I dont have any more room for corala or fish.....time to upgrade soon? :D

• Haha 1
Segalplayer

Do you mind posting pics of your micro chiller? I almost bought one of those instead of the 1/15 JBJ and wanted to see it how it fits and works. Thanks ahead of time!