Coral Vue Hydros

SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion

SaltyBuddha

48 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I had it less than 10 days. I read that the brown jelly is normally a bacterial infection due to some kind of damage. I am assuming this damage happened when they fragged it or during shipment to me. After losing the first 3 heads, the other 2 never thrived. I really wanted a Duncan, and I'll probably try again later if I find one that is acclimated under LEDs. I'm happier and less stressed without it in the tank though. Everything else was looking good this morning. First time I have seen my toadstool with polyps out in almost a week.

Really glad things are looking better. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I had it less than 10 days. I read that the brown jelly is normally a bacterial infection due to some kind of damage. I am assuming this damage happened when they fragged it or during shipment to me. After losing the first 3 heads, the other 2 never thrived. I really wanted a Duncan, and I'll probably try again later if I find one that is acclimated under LEDs. I'm happier and less stressed without it in the tank though. Everything else was looking good this morning. First time I have seen my toadstool with polyps out in almost a week.

Most likely damage from shipping would be my guess.  Brown jelly can be hard to save a frag from.  Lost my turquoise trumpet frag to that.  Maybe for a duncan just find one locally so it doesn't have the stress of shipping. :)

Glad the toadstool is peeking out again!

SaltyBuddha
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Most likely damage from shipping would be my guess.  Brown jelly can be hard to save a frag from.  Lost my turquoise trumpet frag to that.  Maybe for a duncan just find one locally so it doesn't have the stress of shipping. :)

Glad the toadstool is peeking out again!

That is the plan! I'll probably stop by the LFS this weekend to see if they have any nice frags. Thinking about another hammer or trying out another frogspawn. Maybe a ric cause they just look really interesting.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Really glad things are looking better. 

Thanks. I definitely feel much better knowing all my corals are happier now.

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

Also my little feather duster is getting bigger!

Sounds like a shroom it is! I'm going to move my hammer up into one of my shelves this weekend. It will be in more light and will have a little less flow too. He goes on the aggressive shelf where I want hammers and frogspawn. The ric can take his place in the bottom corner.

• Like 2

Sorry for you loss. and glad that the tank is back to its normal routine. That's the risk order online unless you know they are trust worthy. I just got a plate anemone, when I place her into my tank, she seems to release some mucus thing. But today after water change all the tentacles seems to come out and I'm relieve. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
3 hours ago, WolveX said:

Sorry for you loss. and glad that the tank is back to its normal routine. That's the risk order online unless you know they are trust worthy. I just got a plate anemone, when I place her into my tank, she seems to release some mucus thing. But today after water change all the tentacles seems to come out and I'm relieve. 

Yeah, they have a good reputation and they were packaged really well too. It might just be the shipping was too stressful. I'm going to pick up something else today, so we will see if it acclimates well.

I've also noticed a lot of my corals will release some kind of mucus/slime when introduced into the tank. They are just stressed out from the dips and what not. Glad your plate coral is feeling better today! I've been looking into those but Idk if they would work well with a goby/shrimp pair in such a small tank

• SaltyBuddha changed the title to SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion - Two Month Anniversary!
SaltyBuddha

Two Month Anniversary!

Added a nice frogspawn and it seems to like the "aggressive" shelf too! It seems to like the tank as well.

The clownfish is officially eating! Pellets, mysis shrimp and Rod's food. Such a messy eater!

Also got a little ric that is behind my toadstool in the picture. It attached to a piece of rock that I didn't really want it to, but I guess I will let it do its thing. My toadstool is currently attaching to that rock in a lower flow area of the tank; which is why it is not standing up. I will give it another week before I move it to the left shelf in a higher flow area. Looking forward to seeing it stand up enjoying life.

All in all, it has been a good week for the tank. Everything is happier now that the lights are turned back up. Except the cleaner shrimp is kind of annoying. He basically attacked the new corals looking for food and he has taken up on zoa island. Because he goes on there so much, the zoas have been closed up more often. I'm hoping they get used to it and open up faster after he gets off them.

I also got Salifert test kits for all the major parameters. I'll be running some tests after a WC change to compare API tests to the Salifert. I've seen a lot of people hating on API, but I've also seen some reports that are contradicting what people are saying. I'll test my waters and compare. Stay tuned!

• Like 4

API is for simple test because the accuracy seems vague. The range between readings is subject to viewer opinion. Salifert's are quite accurate compare to API. I had API for Ammonia, Nitrate, KH and Nitrite. These test doesn't need much accuracy. I have Salifert for Magnisium and Calsium. Haven't got any other test kit yet.

SaltyBuddha
2 minutes ago, WolveX said:

API is for simple test because the accuracy seems vague. The range between readings is subject to viewer opinion. Salifert's are quite accurate compare to API. I had API for Ammonia, Nitrate, KH and Nitrite. These test doesn't need much accuracy. I have Salifert for Magnisium and Calsium. Haven't got any other test kit yet.

Just did the tests for all the major parameters. Very close results. API if a simple test kit with a range that varies due to the operators interpretation. None the less, the results were pretty close.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Just did the tests for all the major parameters. Very close results. API if a simple test kit with a range that varies due to the operators interpretation. None the less, the results were pretty close.

IMG_1713.GIF

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

Everything is doing well in the tank. Clown fish is turning into the pig that everyone says they are. All the corals (besides one little zoa colony) are all coming out and puffy. Corals are always willing to eat.

I do have some hair algae growing in the fuge between the chaeto and the glass. I can also see a little bit on an underside of a rock in the DT. Hoping my bigger CUC will take care of it. Most likely because I was feeding more trying to get the clown to eat.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the red algae in the back right or maybe moving a little bit to another spot. It just seems to build up detritus there. I even put another powerhead in to get behind my rocks. 

Also hoping to get a tripod for the DSLR. My phone does not do photos of the tank well at all. 

Next time I see a goby shrimp pair on divers den, I am grabbing it! 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
SaltyBuddha

Tank has been doing well. Been super busy lately so I've only been maintaining it. Chaeto isn't growing as much and there is some other algae growing in the fuge. Better than in my DT.

Got a Yasha goby and Randall pistol shrimp 2 weeks ago. Shrimp went right to digging and the Yasha hid in the back. The goby disappeared 3 days ago and I figured they paired up. Looks like they did :happydance: they came out to eat together for the first time. The shrimp already has at least 5 entrances to his network of tunnels.

Going away for 6 days next week so I got an automatic feeder. I'll do a big WC the day we leave and I hope everything goes well. I'll feed pellets every other day and hope the goby and shrimp get enough.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Tank has been doing well. Been super busy lately so I've only been maintaining it. Chaeto isn't growing as much and there is some other algae growing in the fuge. Better than in my DT.

Got a Yasha goby and Randall pistol shrimp 2 weeks ago. Shrimp went right to digging and the Yasha hid in the back. The goby disappeared 3 days ago and I figured they paired up. Looks like they did :happydance: they came out to eat together for the first time. The shrimp already has at least 5 entrances to his network of tunnels.

Going away for 6 days next week so I got an automatic feeder. I'll do a big WC the day we leave and I hope everything goes well. I'll feed pellets every other day and hope the goby and shrimp get enough.

Everything looks good!!

Every other day feeding should be fine, and it's better to set it to feed light than heavy. 

Like you said, better to have algae growing in your fuge than in the main tank, and once you remove the algae, that's manual export of nutrients. 

Hope you have a great trip and come back to a happy tank!!

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
13 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Everything looks good!!

Every other day feeding should be fine, and it's better to set it to feed light than heavy. 

Like you said, better to have algae growing in your fuge than in the main tank, and once you remove the algae, that's manual export of nutrients. 

Hope you have a great trip and come back to a happy tank!!

Thanks, Weetabix! That is my plan. I've already left the tank for 4 days with my fiance doing the feeding. Only thing I lost was my monticap; it was on the sandbed acclimating to the lights when my pistol shrimp decided to pile sand on it. Then my nerite snail decided to push it into my Acan to finish it off.

• 1 month later...
SaltyBuddha

The tank held up through the wedding ans honeymoon. Glad I can be home to give it the attention it deserves. Everything is good. Toadstool is standing straighter and leaning away from the frogspawn now. Today the goby came all the way out into the water column to feed.

Got two new spas today and two monti caps. Rasta spas, red cap, green cap with red polyps (spots?) And unknown zoas. Don't worry. Those are little feather dusters; not aiptasia.

• Like 3
On 7/30/2017 at 11:05 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

The tank held up through the wedding ans honeymoon. Glad I can be home to give it the attention it deserves. Everything is good. Toadstool is standing straighter and leaning away from the frogspawn now. Today the goby came all the way out into the water column to feed.

Got two new spas today and two monti caps. Rasta spas, red cap, green cap with red polyps (spots?) And unknown zoas. Don't worry. Those are little feather dusters; not aiptasia.

Tank looks great, and Congratulations on wedding and honeymoon!!!

Did you change the rockwork?

At any rate, I like the way it looks.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Tank looks great, and Congratulations on wedding and honeymoon!!!

Did you change the rockwork?

At any rate, I like the way it looks.

Thanks! Rockwork is the same, just been moving some corals around and stuff. I'll probably get a few more zoas and put them on the rock under the toadstool. Let it all fill out and see how it goes. You run out of space quick with a little 10 gallon. 

• Like 1

Yay happy wedding!

9 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Thanks! Rockwork is the same, just been moving some corals around and stuff. I'll probably get a few more zoas and put them on the rock under the toadstool. Let it all fill out and see how it goes. You run out of space quick with a little 10 gallon. 

Haha try a 5 gallon! :P:lol:

SaltyBuddha
16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yay happy wedding!

Haha try a 5 gallon! :P:lol:

I couldn't even imagine! Besides, I don't know how you keep it cool. My IM10 wants to push past 81 degrees right now in the summer and I even have a chiller on it!

• SaltyBuddha changed the title to SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion