Top Shelf Aquatics

SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion

SaltyBuddha

ReefWeeds
On 5/1/2017 at 9:39 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Yeah it's most definitely the salt mix. Using Red Sea Pro Coral Mix. Unfortunately, I still have over 55g of the mix left unopened. Do you think I should get a new brand of maybe the batch I'm using is a little off?

I'm really still not sure if it is hair algae. There are some strands left on the frags, but those strands are clear. So I'm assuming it is dead. I pulled off some of the stuff from my rocks and it melted in between my fingers. That sounds more like diatoms, right? Its a really small amount right now, less than 1mm by 1mm tuffs. And only 2 or 3 of those at the moment.

I've got peroxide on standby if it gets any worse. I definitely do not want to battle something like GHA for a long time.

RSCP mixes high for mag, calcium and alkalinity.  I used it for a few years with success.  I have just switched to Fritz RPM because I started having trouble, even with dosing, keeping the levels stable after water changes.  I would say you're fine, stability is key.

Sounds like you have diatoms, not hair algae, if it's brown and on the rocks/sand.  Does it blow off easily?  It could be mixing with some GHA.  Diatoms is a sign that your cycle has ended and things are progressing and a small amount of hair algae is normal for a newly cycled tank as your phosphates may be high due to new sand, nitrates still high due to cycle, etc.  

The candy cane may not be happy due to the fact that your biofilter is most likely not fully establishes yet and things like nitrates, phosphates, etc. are fluctuating.  LPS is more finicky in new tanks than say your toadstool.  Also, it will take some time for macro algae to truly establish and grow, regardless of nutrients.  Whenever I first get new macros, they take a few weeks to really start growing.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Thanks for all the tips. Actually, my phosphates are at 0 (salifert test kit). I cured the rocks for a month before I used them. I don't think it is GHA, just diatoms. Very small amount so far since it is starved of phosphates. Now that my chaeto is taking up nitrates (due to the new JBJ nano glo) I'm thinking my CUC will make quick work of them.

I'm going to pick up some other test kits (besides API) this weekend. Want to do an experiment to see how close the test kits actually are. Also need a kit for mag anyways.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the candy cane but it's been doing better since I ramped the lights up. Hopefully the feeder tentacles will come back out soon so I can feed it. Got some mysis shrimp just for the little guy to beef up :happydance:

• Like 1

Do you have any Lugol's on hand?  If you note the candy cane continuing to do poorly you can do a Lugol's iodine dip, a couple drops in a cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes (I usually do 4).  It can really help sad corals lol.  I use Kent Marine brand.

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Do you have any Lugol's on hand?  If you note the candy cane continuing to do poorly you can do a Lugol's iodine dip, a couple drops in a cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes (I usually do 4).  It can really help sad corals lol.  I use Kent Marine brand.

I've been meaning to order some just to have on hand. Its actually doing much better with the higher lighting! Way more fluffy and I say some tentacles come out a little. I'm going to try and feed it tonight when lights go out if they come out more. Im thinking it will make it :lol: I'll see if my LFS has some Lugols this weekend

1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I've been meaning to order some just to have on hand. Its actually doing much better with the higher lighting! Way more fluffy and I say some tentacles come out a little. I'm going to try and feed it tonight when lights go out if they come out more. Im thinking it will make it :lol: I'll see if my LFS has some Lugols this weekend

If the LFS doesn't Amazon does!  It's great to have on hand and something I highly recommend.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Candy Cane - Eating Breakfast!

Went to bed last night and the corals were all deflated. Woke back up and the Toadstool was extended and the Candy Cane was puffed up. I think it is trying to puff up as much as it can but it's just really small. Unfortunately, I can see the skeleton on two of the lower heads. Just a very tiny amount. Maybe they aren't getting as much flow or light as the rest.

But, on most of the heads I could see the mouth sticking out! So I decided to try and feed it some mysis. I was able to feed every head except the ones with the skeleton showing :tears: the other heads did take a lot of shrimp and some of them ate it really fast. I'm taking it as a good sign that it likes the new spot and the lighting is better for it. Hoping to see some more tentacles out tonight now that it knows there's food around 

Also, chaeto growth is really taking off! Nitrates are down to 10ppm from 15 to 20 without any water changes.

• Like 1
Weetabix7
48 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Candy Cane - Eating Breakfast!

Went to bed last night and the corals were all deflated. Woke back up and the Toadstool was extended and the Candy Cane was puffed up. I think it is trying to puff up as much as it can but it's just really small. Unfortunately, I can see the skeleton on two of the lower heads. Just a very tiny amount. Maybe they aren't getting as much flow or light as the rest.

But, on most of the heads I could see the mouth sticking out! So I decided to try and feed it some mysis. I was able to feed every head except the ones with the skeleton showing :tears: the other heads did take a lot of shrimp and some of them ate it really fast. I'm taking it as a good sign that it likes the new spot and the lighting is better for it. Hoping to see some more tentacles out tonight now that it knows there's food around 

Also, chaeto growth is really taking off! Nitrates are down to 10ppm from 15 to 20 without any water changes.

If you can get it to eat, it will get stronger, so that's encouraging. 

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha
21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you can get it to eat, it will get stronger, so that's encouraging. 

That is what I'm thinking. Especially since it is willing to eat in the later morning as opposed to night 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Powerhead vs Candy Cane

The candy cane has been doing really well the past few days since I turned the lights up. So, of course, my powerhead decided to take a swing at it. I was adjusting it to get a bit more water agitation. I was moving just the back magnet piece and the powerhead ended up losing connection with the magnet and fell right into the candy cane :tears: Some pretty bad damage on the flesh for two heads. It was pretty mad when I left for work this morning but I'm hoping they pull through. It was the happiest head on the coral and ate the most yesterday. In the future, I will make sure I have a hand in the tank securing anything from falling. 

20170508_073706.thumb.jpg.d19afca8a59aa7b862bbabe04835d937.jpg20170508_073646.thumb.jpg.50492fb1e0eeaca0e41d4089a39c9131.jpg

After some research, a lot of people say they come back easily so I'm hoping they will

Also, got a new inhabitant yesterday :happydance: the little guy has been swimming all around the tank and has explored everything so far. Really looking forward to having this energetic shrimp in my tank.

• Like 2
Weetabix7
34 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Powerhead vs Candy Cane

The candy cane has been doing really well the past few days since I turned the lights up. So, of course, my powerhead decided to take a swing at it. I was adjusting it to get a bit more water agitation. I was moving just the back magnet piece and the powerhead ended up losing connection with the magnet and fell right into the candy cane :tears: Some pretty bad damage on the flesh for two heads. It was pretty mad when I left for work this morning but I'm hoping they pull through. It was the happiest head on the coral and ate the most yesterday. In the future, I will make sure I have a hand in the tank securing anything from falling. 

20170508_073706.thumb.jpg.d19afca8a59aa7b862bbabe04835d937.jpg20170508_073646.thumb.jpg.50492fb1e0eeaca0e41d4089a39c9131.jpg

After some research, a lot of people say they come back easily so I'm hoping they will

Also, got a new inhabitant yesterday :happydance: the little guy has been swimming all around the tank and has explored everything so far. Really looking forward to having this energetic shrimp in my tank.

Cool new shrimpy!!!

I may get one of those someday. 

Actually, it's really good that those heads on the Candycane took in food yesterday, cause that means they should now have fuel to help them recover. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cool new shrimpy!!!

I may get one of those someday. 

Actually, it's really good that those heads on the Candycane took in food yesterday, cause that means they should now have fuel to help them recover. 

Exactly what I was thinking. That head took in the most food out of all of them! They really seemed to open up to the tank within the last few days so I'm hoping they will come back even stronger.

The shrimp is super cool! This morning (before the powerhead incident of May 2017) he was jumping off from the rock, swimming in the current of the powerhead, and all the way to the back side of the rock. Then he would repeat. He is also super inquisitive and has been checking me out when I go up to the tank. Not shy one bit.

I'll try to get a video of him swimming laps. It was super cool. I do foresee problems spot feeding corals since he is so fast in the tank. I'll have to teach him "No" with the feeder lol

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Quick update

Everything has been going well with the tank. The blue legged hermits have been coming out more but they seem to be active more at night.

The candy cane seems to be recovered and is puffing up well. The flesh has been moving up closer to the heads and exposing the white skeleton. I've read that this is okay so long as the heads are eating and expanding, and they are.

I put the Toadstool in the spot I want it. It is a little mad and I'm waiting for it to stop being so limp. Polyps come out everyday so that is good.

Also moved some zoas up to the very top rock. They were extending a lot on the bottom rock and They have been going down slowly since I moved them higher. They are very close to the light so we will we how they like it.

The fuge is working fantastic. The nitrates just keep going down. So much so that I'm worried the tank will be too clean for the zoas. Sooooo I ordered my first fish!!!!! 

The Picasso ORA clown will be here tomorrow. All my LFS have great reviews but they all use copper in their tanks. I really don't want to chance it with a fish so I am willing to pay the extra money for shipping and a fish bred in captivity. 

Really excited for the new fish. Also have 5 more corals coming from Cultivated Reef but shipping was delayed because of the storms. Should have them early next week!

• Like 1
  • SaltyBuddha changed the title to SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion - First Fish!
SaltyBuddha

First Fish - Picasso Clown!

Got my first fish yesterday :D Gorgeous Picasso Clown fish from Live Aquaria. She is captive bred from ORA. I really wanted a healthy fish that was captive bred and had time in a tank before I received it. I did not want to go through the process of getting Ich. All of my LFS use copper in their tanks, and I did not want to risk it. Especially since I only want two fish in this tank, I figured I could pay for the overnight shipping to compensate. 

She really is a pretty fish. Great colors and I don't see any marks on her. Fins are all super clean and she has been very active playing in the powerhead stream. She has not moved much from that spot but she is really fun to watch. She does look a little skinny, but I'm going to try and feed her later on this morning. I can't get a picture with my phone, but here is a short clip of her

Fuge Update

The fuge is working out fantastically. My nitrates and phosphates are down to 0 and the chaeto is growing out great. I'm going to trim it tomorrow and send some to a friend of mine. In return he is going to send over some live plants for my FW tank :happydance: I've actually been worried that my tank is too clean for the zoas since I've heard they like the water a little dirty. That was part of the reason I got a fish this weekend.

Coral Updates! New Hammer!

So my Candy Canes have definitely recovered from the powerhead incident. They are still puffing up and are putting out feeder tentacles every night and sometimes during the day. I've been feeding them occasionally. Had to use a plastic 1L bottle to shield them from the cleaner shrimp. At first I was able to give the shrimp and algae wafer and he would go off into his corner happy as can be. Then he realized I was giving the good stuff to the corals and I had to fight him off with the tweezers lol such an energetic little guy. It was cracking me up.

The toadstool is doing well, but not straightening up in the new spot. I'm going to try and stand it up with some toothpicks or fishing line so it can attach to the taller rock. Still getting good polyp extension and color on it though. It is also getting used to be stepped on by the cleaner shrimp lol 

You probably don't remember, but I received two random polyps after my first trip to the LFS store. They were closed for a really long time, but are starting to open now. One is a really really bright neon green and the other is a dark brown. They are still super small and haven't taken to eating yet. We will see how they go.

Also stopped by a new LFS on Friday. It was an amazing store. Great displays with tons of fish options for both FW and SW. Tons of frags for good prices and a great selection of corals. Only issue was some of the tanks has some aiptasia in them. Other than that, it was a great shop. Picked up some FW rocks and live plants as well as a new hammer!

The new hammer is pretty small but I got it for only 25 bucks. It has some great color on it too. It does not extend a crazy amount, although it is extending the same that it was at the store. I'm hoping it will just grow out eventually, or maybe it is one that stays a little tighter? Anyways, I'm acclimating it to the light and will move it up in a few days when I think it will do better.

Cleaner shrimp has been playing too close to the powerhead lately. He even goes on the front part when it is surging up!!! :scarry: 

• Like 1

That fish is a really nice addition, very pretty!!!

Those Candycanes are def looking better. 

Your Shrimp likes to flirt with danger, love that you named him Tom Cruise!!!

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

That fish is a really nice addition, very pretty!!!

Those Candycanes are def looking better. 

Your Shrimp likes to flirt with danger, love that you named him Tom Cruise!!!

Thanks! Now I just need to wait for the Candy Canes to get bigger

The shrimp is crazy (but in a good way). He likes to swim upside down (like Maverick from Top Gun) so my fiancé felt it was a fitting name. He was on the face of the powerhead when it started to surge (it ramps up in 30 second intervals to about 200 GPH). He was holding on for dear life and I almost thought he would get sucked in! I was about to stick my hand in to grab him but he was able to get himself off....

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Toadstool Mounting

The Toadstool was leaning down too far and had already attached itself to a lower rock. I took it off and propped it up with a kabob stick. Hoping that it will take to that spot and leave me room on the lower shelf for some other corals

What a beautiful fish!  Tank is looking really, really nice.  Glad the candy canes have recovered, and that Tom Cruise did not meet an unfortunate fate! :lol:

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
21 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

What a beautiful fish!  Tank is looking really, really nice.  Glad the candy canes have recovered, and that Tom Cruise did not meet an unfortunate fate! :lol:

Thanks! Candy canes are loving life and Tom Cruise will live another day! 

5 More corals coming in from Cultivated Reef this week. Looking forward to getting the tank fuller. Your tank looks great after the recent cleaning!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Thanks! Candy canes are loving life and Tom Cruise will live another day! 

5 More corals coming in from Cultivated Reef this week. Looking forward to getting the tank fuller. Your tank looks great after the recent cleaning!

Haha thanks, it's so nice to have more room to spread out!  I'm glad I upgraded. :)

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Alright my 7 followers. Prepare for a teeny tiny update.

I received some corals from Cultivated Reef today and they look great. They actually listed something not in stock and so I swapped the hammer for a Duncan. They hooked it up and have me a really big Duncan with like 5 heads. Super stoked.

Only bad thing is that my clown fish is not eating yet. It has been about 72 hours. I've heard they can take some time but even so it makes me worry a bit. She is very active and seems really healthy. She has a spot on her underside which people have said could be a coral sting. I keep trying all kinds of food. Only thing I have not done is soak the food in garlic.

New corals are still mad from the Coral RX dip but they are testing the waters. I'll get some better pictures in a few days.

Here is a quick one to quench your thirst. And, yes, that is a zip tie around my Toadstool.

20170516_205533.thumb.jpg.8558978de3d0eddf92a65f788c9f5fd6.jpg

• Like 1

Your cleaner shrimp is doing a back flip? I think is ok with the clownfish not eating for a week. they are adjusting to the environment. Moreover, they might be eating those pod. Just give them some time.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
13 minutes ago, WolveX said:

Your cleaner shrimp is doing a back flip? I think is ok with the clownfish not eating for a week. they are adjusting to the environment. Moreover, they might be eating those pod. Just give them some time.

Yeah that's what I am thinking.

He is actually hanging out on the powerhead...he lives life on the edge 

• 2 weeks later...
SaltyBuddha

End of May Update - 2 Month Anniversary!

It has been a rough couple of weeks. The Frogspawn coral I received polyp bailed the next day after it was in the tank. He was looking great and all puffed up. I decided to keep the head in a little plastic cup for awhile, but I didn't think it was going to do anything. So, unfortunately, I tossed it :tears: First coral down.

Now to my second coral loss. The Duncan. It really really did not like the lights on my tank. I did not really have a spot to put it so it would be in the shade. I had to turn my lights down from 65% to 25% and it still was not happy. I tried moving it around and keeping the lights down but it just ended up making all my other corals really unhappy. On the 3rd day I had it, I lost 3 out of the 5 heads to brown jelly. I immediately removed it and fragged the remaining two heads. I had the other two heads for quite a while. It seemed that to keep these guys semi-happy, I had to make the rest of my tank unhappy. My zoas weren't coming out as much and when they did they would stretch like crazy. My toadstool was waxing almost everyday and the candy cane just wasn't puffing up as much. The other two Duncan heads were starting to polyp bail and I had to toss him as well :tears:

Honestly, I am much happier now that I don't have that Duncan in the tank. My tank is much happier too. Unfortunate that I lost them, but that is part of the learning game. I do not think I will be ordering corals online anymore. And I will also focus on moderate to higher light corals as well. I've heard Duncan corals can acclimate to higher light, but this one was just not happy anywhere in my tank. 

In better news, my Picasso is eating more now! She also had a one night stand with the powerhead, thanks god it was only for one night! She seems to host two corners depending on her mood and she really likes to swim and play in the powerhead stream. Tom Cruise also decided to molt! I initially freaked out but realized in half a second what it was. Super clean molt too. 

• Like 1

I have heard of them hosting powerheads!  Sorry about the losses, wonder if part of the reason the duncan was unhappy was that it was already going downhill?  You lost it pretty soon after getting it, right?

SaltyBuddha
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have heard of them hosting powerheads!  Sorry about the losses, wonder if part of the reason the duncan was unhappy was that it was already going downhill?  You lost it pretty soon after getting it, right?

I had it less than 10 days. I read that the brown jelly is normally a bacterial infection due to some kind of damage. I am assuming this damage happened when they fragged it or during shipment to me. After losing the first 3 heads, the other 2 never thrived. I really wanted a Duncan, and I'll probably try again later if I find one that is acclimated under LEDs. I'm happier and less stressed without it in the tank though. Everything else was looking good this morning. First time I have seen my toadstool with polyps out in almost a week.

• SaltyBuddha changed the title to SaltyBuddha's IM10 Fusion