SaltCritters.com

Reef Glass skimmer

gone_PHiSHin

gone_PHiSHin

i've been looking at this simple skimmer for my IM10 for a few weeks now.  it's basically the same as the Mame skimmer, just made in the US.  

there isn't much about it on the forums but i've seen a few youtube video reviews of it.  i love the simple, low profile design but i'm not sure it's worth the price tag of $85 for what it is, and then you need to buy an air pump.  

anyone used one of these that can chime in?  i've tried asking about this skimmer before but no one really has much input on it, however someone is selling one in the classifieds and i'm entertaining the idea.

It's like you said its the same thing as the Mame skimmer, they work relativity on the same principle. I made a DIY version of that skimmer and it works pretty well, from what a read you need a drainage container and a air pump. I only had the air driven skimmer for like a month before I got tired of listening to the air pump, so I went ahead and bought a eshopps nano skimmer and its dead silent for me. I have the same tank as well.

I've been running one and it's okay. For the price I paid for it plus the cost of the air pump I should of gone with the eshopps skimmer. Can't seem to get good skimmate at all. Im ghost skimmer did a better job in my opinion. I'm going to be selling it soon with air pump. 

I have the kessil a80. what I did was move it off to the side a little and took out the mounting block the came with the mount and got a small piece of acrylic and put that on, giving me enough room to mount the skimmer back there. I currently have the skimmer off, its there for piece of mind at the moment because my tank is some what new and lightly stocked.   

gone_PHiSHin

this is pretty much the response i expected.  i didn't expect it to perform like a 'real' skimmer, and the price is just too high for what it is.  i would gladly pay it if everyone was impressed by the skimmate produced. 

i really don't want to deal with 'mods' or an offset light mount though if i got the eshopps. i'd have to figure that out once i got the skimmer, which is why i hesitate to get one.

i may just say screw it and keep running skimmerless...

yeah I can understand, Like I said I only have the skimmer there for piece of mind and I maybe upgrading to a Nuvo 20 soon :D .....but just to give you an idea how I set mine up....

image1.JPG

I can't speak to the Reefglass but I have a Mame and it blows doors on any nano skimmer I've ever used, and I've used all of them. Once you get the air and water level dialed this type of nano skimmer is hard to beat. 

I wouldn't even bother with a skimmer in an IM10 if you employ good husbandry. I understand though, watching skimmers work is fun. Especially when they are glass and you can see everything happening. There is a certain elegance in the simplicity of air pump driven skimmers.

• Like 1

Everyone has their own way of doings things, also what products and equipment that works for them. I guess the best way to say it, is do whats best for your needs. 

gone_PHiSHin
On 4/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, canoman said:

I've been running one and it's okay. For the price I paid for it plus the cost of the air pump I should of gone with the eshopps skimmer. Can't seem to get good skimmate at all. Im ghost skimmer did a better job in my opinion. I'm going to be selling it soon with air pump. 

what air pump are you running with it?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased the reef glass skimmer.  It works pretty well.  It produces mostly wet skimmate and not that much of it.  For tanks 30 gallons and under you probably don't need a skimmer.  I got it because I am dosing NO3PO4X and it requires one.  If you like toys, knock yourself out.  Unfortunately, if it is in the back of your tank you won't be able to see all the bubbles travel up the tube which is cool, but it still would be effective.

Just thought I would add on to this, so I had the eshopps skimmer before and the motor fried.

So I returned it and decided to get a new skimmer. I did get the Reef Glass skimmer to see how good it was and I got it on sale for $75. Not sure if it is still on sale. I have to say this skimmer is great, I did purchase a new air pump and its dead silent... which is a plus. 

image2.thumb.JPG.b8a3ddbc8861568ad286ce0155ff4246.JPG

image3.thumb.JPG.da78330a58f400b10c01db4fd1703b87.JPG.

I have not even had the skimmer a week and it's pulling some stuff out of my tank.

I like it so far.

• Like 1

Well I did some maintenance on my reef glass and of course with my luck it broke in my hand! Got a nasty gash on my finger. I was just starting to like the skimmate it was producing. So be careful with it guys. 

IMG_0210.JPG

gone_PHiSHin

i'm definitely buying one soon, before i put my picasso clown in the tank...i'm just not certain what air pump i want so i keep putting it off

gone_PHiSHin
On 5/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, JD_Aqua said:

I'm using the tetra whisper 20. I just got lucky with that one. 

when you say you got lucky with that one, do you mean whisper 20s are normally not silent?  it seems like a well reviewed pump

Just have a couple friends that use these pumps and were a bit noisy. Sorry I meant to say, that this is the first pump that I have bought in a long time and it works well/silent.

gone_PHiSHin

has anyone found an airstone that works with this other than the one on Premium Aquatics that is $4.99 a piece?  i know it's best to replace these relatively often and spending 5 bucks a month for an airstone seems silly 

there are much cheaper options on ebay and Amazon but i'm not sure they fit or are quality