Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zoa And Ricordea Questions

TheBig053

So I just added both of these corals to my tank on Friday and I got some questions.  

First, it looks like something noshed on a few of my Fire and Ice Zoa polyps.  All but six polyps have opened since being added to the tank.  These six are all next to each other and there appears to be some frayed chewed on looking fleshing hanging of them.  You can see it in the photo below.  I did catch one of our hermits bothering them twice now, but each time it looked like he was just picking some algae out from around them. Will herms eat zoas?

IMG_1166.thumb.JPG.965e45c7fbe3a7e778b68bcad46abd29.JPG

Second, my new recordea has had one side folded up like you see in the picture below. Im guessing this is just normal, but wanted to be sure something wasnt agitating it. I have it glue to a plug in the sand bed but moved it under s ledge because i thought it may be getting too much light.  Perhaps its just upset about being glued to a plug?

IMG_1168.thumb.JPG.f0d0d74daa3afc3ef12b2bd6f9befa31.JPG

Thanks for the input folks!

You mentioned they just opened and are new.  Was the fire and ice damaged when received or not sure because this was the first time they opened?  Also, did you dip them before adding them to the tank?

Do you know what kind of hermits you have?  From what I've been reading, crabs are all scavengers and will eat anything if hungry or the mood strikes.  I've had second thoughts regarding even my peppermint shrimp.  I try and make sure enough food hits the bottom for them and it does not drift into any corals so they don't "accidentally" get any forbidden fruit :)  Sorry to hear about the damage.  I hope they heal quickly you have no additional damage.

It almost looks like they shedding an outer layer of skin.  More flesh is dangling now and i can see the polyp tuck inside glowing under the actinic light.  Not sure they do this or not but perhaps the stress of shipping caused it. 

The hermits were sold just as "hermit crabs" by the LFS.  My guess based on the photos ive seen online are that they are dwarf red leg.  I'll take a closer look at the tank they came from next time over there.  

Pinner Reef

The zoas were most likely damaged during transit... they may or may not heal up but the hermits were probably just inspecting the new frag (which is pretty common). As long as there are a couple opening the frag will survive. The ric looks like it'll be fine. Keep it shaded to start as they are light sensitive when first introduced. 

Never seen a hermit eat coral. They will clean them and in between them.

The zoas were eith damaged or its detritus. Try using your new turkey baster on them.

All mushrooms fold, it could be due to flow. Rics like light.

Thanks everyone.  I am starting to think the damage most likely came from shipping/stress.  Hopefully the damaged polyps pull through.  The Rastas that came in the same shipment are looking great though! 

I do remember reading that Rics like light, so I placed it out in the open initially.  Then read a few comments about giving them some shade while they acclimate.  I hadn't thought about the flow though. I bet that is what's causing it.  Since moving, it has unfolded some. The new spot is out of the main flow that surrounds the rock structure.  

Unfortunately I dont think the zoa polyps are going to make it.  They looked much worse today and seem to just be rotting away.  I don't think whatever is happening to them is affecting the ones that have already opened but I keep checking to make sure. Real bummer to have some of the first corals I added to the tank die on me. 

Here is a photo from just now. 

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.1f93d254a409054159f4d2a69e4b6fa5.JPG

I find zoas sometimes just do that with no explanation to why.

I have zoas that have taken off and then some that just wilt away.

Yeah, I'm going to cut the dead ones out tomorrow and reposition them.  My Turbo just actually jarred them lose from the rock. 

Archived