Coral Vue Hydros

What fish is this??

Derrick1980

That's a lot of fish and they are on big trouble. Get some hermits. I doesn't appear like your tank has any established algae, so no turbos or astreas...they'll starve.  Did you use live sand? Wow. Overwhelming.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derrick1980
1 minute ago, Nidilsky said:

That's a lot of fish and they are on big trouble. Get some hermits. I doesn't appear like your tank has any established algae, so no turbos or astreas...they'll starve.  Did you use live sand? Wow. Overwhelming.

Live sand, live rock, and yes I have algae.  A little green on one of the rocks and brown all over the rocks and I have to use the magnet on the glass daily.i know I need snails though!

Hopefully, you can get through this. I will say that the fish are going to get stressed and possibly sick. Upside is that those are hardy fish. I really suggest that you read some of the articles found on this site. Particularly, the ones concerning the nitrogen process and cycling your tank.

At this point avoid adding ANY Ammonia or cycle starters. Do as many water changes as will keep the ammonia levels and nitrates as low as possible.

Derrick1980
2 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

IMG_1561.GIF

You sure don't care too much about your fellow members, do you... Well, I was going to stay but if I'm REALLY not wanted here I can leave.

gone_PHiSHin

you went out of your way to make a thread titled "..." just to tell everyone you were leaving.

turns out, people around here do care about their fellow reefers and this hobby enough to take the time to give advice to others who don't know what they are doing.  

also turns out you didn't care enough about your fellow reefers' opinions, therefore getting the overwhelming response you did.

lesson learned hopefully, that way you won't get treated this way again when you go to the next fish forum.

Derrick1980
9 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

you went out of your way to make a thread titled "..." just to tell everyone you were leaving.

turns out, people around here do care about their fellow reefers and this hobby enough to take the time to give advice to others who don't know what they are doing.  

also turns out you didn't care enough about your fellow reefers' opinions, therefore getting the overwhelming response you did.

lesson learned hopefully, that way you won't get treated this way again when you go to the next fish forum.

Turns out ppl here care about bashing other ppl they know nothing about.  You don't know me.  All you know is what I say on here and that's because I'm trying my hardest to make this tank work, despite the fact that everyone I know has told me I will be tired of it in 2-3 months.  I am not only trying to prove them wrong, but I am want to have a beautiful reef with corals and healthy fish.  So yeah, I'm real... I'm really trying to get advice.  And if I can't get it here I'll get it somewhere else.... 

Derrick1980
5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Just getting too easy. 

IMG_1562.GIF

And this is in the ID forum?

WTF is wrong with you?  Are you a juvenile?  

Derrick1980
Just now, 1891Bro said:

Lol. 

I'm just like you.36 married and two kids. But, I got no....

IMG_1563.GIF

Lol well I do.  Life is better with them.  I notice y'all don't treat anyone else on here like shi$

Derrick1980
3 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Dude I have your back. Blow that money as you see fit! This hobby is expensive anyway. 

Yeah it is... I'm about to spend another $700... Getting pricey

Derrick1980
Just now, Nidilsky said:

Be patient, dude. Please! The point is to keep the stuff alive, not replace dead things. Do some reading first.

I'm going to do like everyone has recommended and not add anymore fish for a while.  Give the tank time to sit and mature.

9 hours ago, Derrick1980 said:

I'm going to do like everyone has recommended and not add anymore fish for a while.  Give the tank time to sit and mature.

Good because I can gurantee you we are the most chill fish forum out there.  Post this stuff on the other forums and it would be nuclear war.  Trust me...  They are extremely uppity. Remember (or if you dont know)  until recently nano reefs were "breaking the rules" hardcore.  Every convention got turned upside down pretty much.  Picos like Natalia's bowl and Brandon's are still breaking convention and showing you can have a thriving tank in an unconventional setting.

HOWEVER, there are some things that don't change because its like gravity:

-the nitrogen cycle needs to happen and can kill your livestock if it does not occur before adding livestock

-you can "overwhelm" the biofilter by adding too much too fast and kick start ANOTHER cycle which can kill your livestock

-tap water will always have contaminates you can't control in a reef tank.

-when you want/need maximum control over water quality for optimal coral health and growth (not to mention being able to say i know its not because of the water is why my fish are dying), you need an ro/di unit in your home or buy distilled but honestly, there is going to be an emergency where nothing is open and you're out of water and you will have to watch your tank die.  true story from a friend who's nephew dumped a bottle of food (and something else, we dont know) in the tank christmas day. Moral of the story: an rodi unit would have saved her tank because she would have been able to make water and do water changes.

If you want to stay, great.  justknow we are people too and so far your behavior with the tank is akin to me watching my 3 year old repeatedly do the same shit I have told him not to do 50 bajillion times and I am getting ready to chug the vodka in my freezer straight. We arent mean, but we have watched you from the get go with your salt sniffing post to now. And that's.... frustrating. Like my 3 year old.

We are a forgiving community. Just read.  For love of all that is holy, please read. Google. dont stop reading.  you said this is a new found love, then embrace it, become obsessed with it. Read all of the Tank of the Month threads and read Advanced Aquarist and Reef Builders, get a subscription to CORAL.  Read all of the stickies this forum has. 

If you love it, slow down and research.  

I hope you stay because I think NR is the best reef forum with the kindest and most chill members with insane experience and results. Testing boundaries and making the impossible, possible.  i love it here. But don't be offended when we get frustrated because you're ignoring our advice. Like I said, its like watching my son.  Think of this all like a internet equivalent "WAKE UP AND LISTEN", listen, and it'll all be just fine.

Derrick1980
16 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Good because I can gurantee you we are the most chill fish forum out there.  Post this stuff on the other forums and it would be nuclear war.  Trust me...  They are extremely uppity. Remember (or if you dont know)  until recently nano reefs were "breaking the rules" hardcore.  Every convention got turned upside down pretty much.  Picos like Natalia's bowl and Brandon's are still breaking convention and showing you can have a thriving tank in an unconventional setting.

HOWEVER, there are some things that don't change because its like gravity:

-the nitrogen cycle needs to happen and can kill your livestock if it does not occur before adding livestock

-you can "overwhelm" the biofilter by adding too much too fast and kick start ANOTHER cycle which can kill your livestock

-tap water will always have contaminates you can't control in a reef tank.

-when you want/need maximum control over water quality for optimal coral health and growth (not to mention being able to say i know its not because of the water is why my fish are dying), you need an ro/di unit in your home or buy distilled but honestly, there is going to be an emergency where nothing is open and you're out of water and you will have to watch your tank die.  true story from a friend who's nephew dumped a bottle of food (and something else, we dont know) in the tank christmas day. Moral of the story: an rodi unit would have saved her tank because she would have been able to make water and do water changes.

If you want to stay, great.  justknow we are people too and so far your behavior with the tank is akin to me watching my 3 year old repeatedly do the same shit I have told him not to do 50 bajillion times and I am getting ready to chug the vodka in my freezer straight. We arent mean, but we have watched you from the get go with your salt sniffing post to now. And that's.... frustrating. Like my 3 year old.

We are a forgiving community. Just read.  For love of all that is holy, please read. Google. dont stop reading.  you said this is a new found love, then embrace it, become obsessed with it. Read all of the Tank of the Month threads and read Advanced Aquarist and Reef Builders, get a subscription to CORAL.  Read all of the stickies this forum has. 

If you love it, slow down and research.  

I hope you stay because I think NR is the best reef forum with the kindest and most chill members with insane experience and results. Testing boundaries and making the impossible, possible.  i love it here. But don't be offended when we get frustrated because you're ignoring our advice. Like I said, its like watching my son.  Think of this all like a internet equivalent "WAKE UP AND LISTEN", listen, and it'll all be just fine.

Thank you, I will slow down, listen and stay. :)

This is definitely the most chilled and supportive reef forum- all the others are full of ppl who would and do tear ppl apart. 

We are trying to help you by telling you what was done wrong, how to correct it, and to research and listen. 

We could just say "its ok" and wait for the "my tank crashed" thread but we aren't doing that. 

We do this to guide you to a simpler system that will survive. 

The reason most are telling you, you will be tired in 2-3 mnths is because when the system is started wrong and continued wrong- it ends up with nothing but problems which are exhausting, frustrating, and eventually lead to a tank crash or voluntary shut down. 

Archived