Top Shelf Aquatics

BRStv Investigates: Three nitrate test kits... Two rise to victory, one falls flat!

Randy_BRS

Hey guys!

The wait is over...

In today's episode, Ryan and team document their struggles with achieving accurate test results from two industry leading nitrate test kits and one laboratory testing machine. During their attempt to uncover which hobby test kit is the most accurate, they quickly realize the difficulty with testing nitrates in saltwater which eventually leads to a hybrid testing solution with surprisingly accurate results! 

This one is worth watching a couple of times, (I did!). :)

How about reviewing some "low end" Nitrate test kits like API that cost a fraction of the price of these ones? Are they that useless? They've worked just fine for me for years.

1 hour ago, Aquacrazed said:

How about reviewing some "low end" Nitrate test kits like API that cost a fraction of the price of these ones? Are they that useless? They've worked just fine for me for years.

For some reason I can't see the video but yeah I was hoping they would compare API to say NYOS or Red Sea. I always use API for Nitrate, phosphate, and ammonia and have never had any issues. Sure it's still informative though. 

Wow, guys!
You did it again!:D

Personally, I just switched from the old Salifert nitrate test kit to the Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit, and I really don't find the procedure that complicated. The Hanna Calcium Checker is the most complicated test that I'm using, atm:lol:

BRS Investigates, together with the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing, comprise the best of the best of reefing information, on the internet. Beginner to advanced:)
Keep reefing, guys and gals! B)

Thanks for another well presented and informative video. I agree that API should have been included. I would be willing to bet that more than half of the new hobbyist start with that brand. 

Thanks guys! 

Most of us have used API tests at some point in the hobby. I've found that they just aren't as accurate in their measuring abilities than some of the multi reagent tests. Most API tests I've used have graduations (ppm reading points) that are too far apart for the accuracy I'm looking for and the color graduations seem a bit more difficult to judge. :-)  That being said, API is my go-to test kit for when I need a quick ball park of ammonia, phosphate and nitrate! 

-Randy

Archived