ReefCleaners.org

Upgrading Fusion 20 Lighting

Just_Pete

So it's been around a month or so since I setup my Fusion 20. I promised myself 6 months to run with the equipment my kit came with...

Unfortunately the addiction is real :( I'm breaking that promise early to upgrade my lighting. (the wife doesn't know yet)

So I'm giving myself a budget of $250 and I NEED to stay as close as possible to that price point. My goal is to stock my F20 with mostly softies, LPS and a few fish.

Aesthetic is very important, I want my future lights to look good... the stock lights (2x Skyye) that came with the F20 sold me. But their functionality and output is not up to par, literally ;)

So I've put together a quick list of lights, top to bottom being my favorites:

AI Prime HD with the metal mounting bracket.

Controls, minimal look, wifi, all nice selling points. My only concern is will one be enough for a F20 especially when I plan on having a few corals around the edges of the tank, near ground level?

Current USA Orbit PRO

Under budget, remote control, not WIFI, spans the width of the tank and low-profile. My concern is the power level of the lights? Will these be enough for what I'm planning on stocking my tank with? Also will these light promote coral growth?

AquaMaxx NemoLight

Way under budget, controls on the unit, no remote, spans the width of the tank and low-profile. I'm concerned with the controls, timer being reset on lose of power and just general setup of scheduling. Also the power level of these lights and coral growth?

SBOX Elite 16 with ramping

Under budget, controls on the unit, no remote. My least favorite looking but comes with high recommendations as my brother-in has these. Will this be overkill on my F20? Anyone using these on a F20?

Ocean Revive T247

Under budget, controls on the unit, no remote. My least favorite looking. Anyone using these on a F20?

Nano Box - Wishful thinking!

I know I'll probably get recommended these and I do understand they are a favorite to a lot in the community... but for me right now, they are just waaaay out of budget.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Specially for reefers with a similar tank size ;)

I have the Current Marine Orbit Pro on a 20L (30x12x12) and it does a very fine job growing soft corals and LPS. I don't know the exact dimensions of the IM 20 but I believe it's deeper and wider than a 20L, and the spread of the Pro barely cuts it on my tank.

However, the Current Marine Orbit (non-pro version) has something like 2x the spread of the Pro. I know this first hand because I have both fixtures. Have you looked into the non-pro version at all? I grew all kinds of soft corals and LPS with it, no problem. It can also be attached higher above the tank with a mounting arm. It's really very sleek looking and barely noticeable, doesn't take away from the beauty of the tank at all. 

I don't have experience with any of the other fixtures you mentioned, but I will say the Orbit has worked great for me.

2 hours ago, samnaz said:

I have the Current Marine Orbit Pro on a 20L (30x12x12) and it does a very fine job growing soft corals and LPS. I don't know the exact dimensions of the IM 20 but I believe it's deeper and wider than a 20L, and the spread of the Pro barely cuts it on my tank.

However, the Current Marine Orbit (non-pro version) has something like 2x the spread of the Pro. I know this first hand because I have both fixtures. Have you looked into the non-pro version at all? I grew all kinds of soft corals and LPS with it, no problem. It can also be attached higher above the tank with a mounting arm. It's really very sleek looking and barely noticeable, doesn't take away from the beauty of the tank at all. 

I don't have experience with any of the other fixtures you mentioned, but I will say the Orbit has worked great for me.

Hope I'm not hijacking but a couple more questions on the Current Orbits you mention  

What are the other differences between the Pro and non-Pro versions besides the spread?  Can the Pro be attached to the mounting arm?

Would the 36" Pro's spread be OK for a tank that's 36" x 9.4" x 8.3"?  I've been thinking about getting one that size.  

Even considered 2 x Kessil A80? A bit out of budget with 2 mounts. Will be in budget if you have other ways to install them. Enough power for the tank size with softies and LPS. 

If you end up upgrading later, you will still be able to use them as supplement light on the edge. quite utility. 

gone_PHiSHin

i would say of all your options, the Prime HD is your best bet, you'll just have to be a little more aware of coral placement and use the outside edges of the tank for your lower light stuff.

i hate to say it, and you knew it was coming, but the Nanobox Duo is perfect for this tank :D

i understand a budget, but in this hobby, for me the light is what i'd spend all my money on.  you can slowly add corals/livestock here and there over time, but i never want to upgrade my light, just increase its intensity!

On April 7, 2017 at 3:44 PM, SeaFurn said:

Hope I'm not hijacking but a couple more questions on the Current Orbits you mention  

What are the other differences between the Pro and non-Pro versions besides the spread?  Can the Pro be attached to the mounting arm?

Would the 36" Pro's spread be OK for a tank that's 36" x 9.4" x 8.3"?  I've been thinking about getting one that size.  

Pro has higher PAR, wider spectrum, I think it has ultraviolet and magenta in addition to blue and white, better optical lenses, what else... I forget, check it out on their site here if you haven't already, this has spread and PAR specs: http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

More here: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

Apparently the Pro can be attached with the mounting arm, according to the instructions that came with the mount. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it, I eventually gave up and just put the light on the tank. But I recently came across a photo of a pro hanging from one, so it's possible. 

Tank sounds super cool, the shallower and the longer, the better! Custom made or is that Mr Aqua? My guess is that the 36-48" Pro would be good for a tank of that size but honestly I don't know for sure. I have the light pulled way towards the front of my 20L, and all my corals are upfront/mid tank because the spread isn't wide enough. It was the wrong choice for me, but considering your tank is 3-4" narrower it could be perfect. And IF you can figure out how to mount up onto the arm, even better.

As much as I understand the struggle of dropping serious coin I am very pleased with my decision of getting a nanobox. Here is a used one for close to your budget that I would deff jump on!

5 hours ago, samnaz said:

Tank sounds super cool, the shallower and the longer, the better! Custom made or is that Mr Aqua?

@samnaz Thanks for all the info on the Orbits. Yes, it's the Mr. Aqua - I would probably go with the low iron glass version. I think your right, the 36"-48" Pro would probably be perfect for that tank.  And I like the look of it mounted on the arm but would be fine with it right on the tank. 

@Just_Pete I'm guessing you saw Marine Depot has NemoLights on sale right now through the end of the month so you'd be WAY under budget and could spend the rest on corals and fish! I've read in other threads that these lights are more than fine for softies and LPS.  So, if you could be OK with the controls and timer programming nuances it could be a good choice if budget was the biggest factor. If not, @gone_PHiSHinmakes a good point to get the light you won't have to upgrade down the line.  

gone_PHiSHin
1 hour ago, smiz said:

As much as I understand the struggle of dropping serious coin I am very pleased with my decision of getting a nanobox. Here is a used one for close to your budget that I would deff jump on!

oh man i'd definitely hop on this if you can come up with the extra cash.  he might even do $300, ya never know unless you ask

do not smoke the reef(er)

have the Prime HD on my nuvo 20. Easy to use app and makes the tank look great. Since your keeping LPS and softies this should be good for you. Just have to keep in mind that coverage is limited towards the ends of the tank, maybe a good place to put some lower light corals. 

I will say it will leave you wanting more, especially if you end up wanting to keep any SPS. I agree with @gone_PHiSHin one spending more on a light, can always use the lights on an upgrade! Going to grab some radions this weekend.

15 minutes ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

have the Prime HD on my nuvo 20. Easy to use app and makes the tank look great. Since your keeping LPS and softies this should be good for you. Just have to keep in mind that coverage is limited towards the ends of the tank, maybe a good place to put some lower light corals. 

I will say it will leave you wanting more, especially if you end up wanting to keep any SPS. I agree with @gone_PHiSHin one spending more on a light, can always use the lights on an upgrade! Going to grab some radions this weekend.

On this note, I've done 3 upgrades and every tank revolves around my light and what it will work with :) best place to invest IMO

I have an AI Prime over mine. I initially planned to add another down the road if needed but I don't think I will now. I run it at 70% around 10" above the water. You can see pics in my tank thread! I have been very very happy with it, and the control you have through the app is amazing. 

8 minutes ago, ry05coupe said:

I have an AI Prime over mine. I initially planned to add another down the road if needed but I don't think I will now. I run it at 70% around 10" above the water. You can see pics in my tank thread! I have been very very happy with it, and the control you have through the app is amazing. 

Awesome. I ended up going with the Prime and aluminum mounting bracket. I checked out your build thread, nice!

6 minutes ago, Just_Pete said:

Awesome. I ended up going with the Prime and aluminum mounting bracket. I checked out your build thread, nice!

Sweet! I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

On 4/11/2017 at 7:21 AM, samnaz said:

Pro has higher PAR, wider spectrum, I think it has ultraviolet and magenta in addition to blue and white, better optical lenses, what else... I forget, check it out on their site here if you haven't already, this has spread and PAR specs: http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

More here: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

Apparently the Pro can be attached with the mounting arm, according to the instructions that came with the mount. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it, I eventually gave up and just put the light on the tank. But I recently came across a photo of a pro hanging from one, so it's possible. 

Tank sounds super cool, the shallower and the longer, the better! Custom made or is that Mr Aqua? My guess is that the 36-48" Pro would be good for a tank of that size but honestly I don't know for sure. I have the light pulled way towards the front of my 20L, and all my corals are upfront/mid tank because the spread isn't wide enough. It was the wrong choice for me, but considering your tank is 3-4" narrower it could be perfect. And IF you can figure out how to mount up onto the arm, even better.

Where did you see the Pro light mounted?  Please share link.  I purchased the Pro as well and can't figure it out either.

17 minutes ago, stacks said:

Where did you see the Pro light mounted?  Please share link.  I purchased the Pro as well and can't figure it out either.

It was on an eBay sale, I no longer have a link for it but I took screenshots. Here are some. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived