Pod Your Reef

What Salt to Use

mcameron2479

mcameron2479

I'm trying to decide on which salt to go with.  Since I am setting up a 20g display and a 20g QT, which will eventually become more or less a frag tank/coral QT once all fish are populated, I am not so much concerned about the cost.  I'm not using a huge volume of water.  That being said, I see no need to spend $80 a bucket if $60 a bucket is no different.  Thought I would see what people are using and what their opinions are.  Thanks

Just went with the cheap IO stuff for my cycle. When the tank is better stocked I'll probably switch over to Red Sea (more concentrated levels) Since I'll be doing bi-weekly WC's. 

17 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Switched from RSCP to Fritz RPM.  I like it so far.

I switched from IORC to Fritz RPM at the suggestion of my LFS. Their main system and display tanks look phenomenal. They said they were getting too much variation batch to batch with reef crystals. They haven't had that problem with Fritz RPM because it's made in smaller batches and they test more rigorously. My LFS is awesome, they sell the 55lb box for $45.

First, pick your parameters.

Then find a salt that mixes to those parameters so that your water changes won't cause fluctuations. :)

burtbollinger
5 hours ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Why did you switch?

Mixes fairly clean to 8.5 with nice high mag. levels, and 8.5 is what I want to run my tank at and dose 2 part to maintain.  RSCP was mixing at 11, and I didn't want to be that high and I didn't want to bother with RS blue bucket.  Plus LFS guy who seems smart raves about it.  Small batches and 50 bucks for 200g also had my attention.

mcameron2479

Thanks for all the input.  Since this build is a big step up in all areas from the BioCube I had years ago I will be having a bit of a learning when it comes to dialing the higher quality lighting and other pieces of equipment that I don't have experience using.  I plan to take it slow, get to know my equipment and how the various livestock responds to different adjustments I make.  I also hope to get to a point where my tank is successful enough that regardless of what salt I am using I will need to start dosing.  That means my corals are thriving.  So I decided the best coarse of action would be to start with Reef Crystals and evolve from there over time.  Thanks again for all your opinions.

I don't like IO, mixes poorly, quality control is nil, needs a long time to mix.

Didn't like reef crystals, inconsistent numbers with each water change

Rscp- mixed well, mixed consistantly but I didn't like the high alk. Corals seem happier with my alk in the 8 range

Now using aquaforest which i really like. 

CronicReefer

I've used Brightwell, Fritz RPM, and Tropic Marin. Fritz is probably the best for the price but all three mix at relatively same levels (8-9dkh, 400-420 calcium, 1280-1350 magnesium. They are all manufactured with anhydrous salts which are of better quality/purity and get you about 160 gallons per bucket.

gone_PHiSHin

i am thinking of switching to Fritz.  i currently use RSCP.

i just missed the $45 sale for it though at my LFS <_<

burtbollinger
11 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i am thinking of switching to Fritz.  i currently use RSCP.

i just missed the $45 sale for it though at my LFS <_<

Switching from RSCP to Fritz was a super smooth transition...and the more I use Fritz, I actually like it better than RSCP.

Archived