Cultivated Reef

Stacks' new 20 gal. IM Peninsula

stacks

So, at the very last minute, I had a strong desire to jump on a plane to Mexico for a quick, little vacation.  My partner, in short, said, "no."  And I bought a new fish tank instead.

Money originally planned for sipping pina coladas [3 oz (3 parts) Pineapple juice, 1 oz (one part) White rum, 1 oz (one part) Coconut cream] at the beach instead went to BRS, where I ordered the new IM Fusion 20 gal. Peninsula tank.  It's on sale right now for $200 instead of $250 - which felt like the opportunity of a lifetime to me (that's how they getcha!). I added to the order the Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off by Tunze because if the order was over $200 I could use the $10 off coupon (that's how they getcha!), and if the order was over $250 you can get FREE upgraded shipping (that's how they getcha!).  Plus, I've never had an ATO and decided a long time ago that my next tank would have one.  More on that later.

My current tank is a 14 gal. BioCube.  I love it.  It's been great, but I'm ready for an upgrade.  It's been going for 3+ years and was a wonderful saltwater starter tank.  I had a freshwater tank for some years as a teen.  As most of you know, the BioCube has it's own lights, and that means I had to buy a new light setup.  That took me to Marine Depot, where I purchased the 24-36 Inch Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED Aquarium Light.  I, of course, used my $5 off $50 coupon (that's how they getcha!).  I picked this light because it's long, and I was a little concerned about coverage with one of the circular lights, like the EcoTech Marine Radion.  The tank will not be in a location where I can hang a light like that from the ceiling, and with the Peninsula I was concerned about how much of the tank would actually get coverage by using a mounting arm.  Plus, the Current USA light is WAY cheaper.  I'm hoping it will work out.  As far as I'm concerned, it has to be a nice upgrade to the stock BioCube lighting, so I'm happy.  Or at least I hope I will be happy with it.  You'll hear about it if I'm not.  Of course, the mount doesn't come with the light (that's how they getcha!) so I also had to order the Current USA Orbit LED Adjustable Tank Mount Bracket; which I ordered from Amazon because it was, like, 30% less expensive there!

New tank, ATO, light, light mount - that's enough, right?  Not really.  That's airfare, but I still had money for hotel, and pina coladas left over.  What else does this new Peninsula tank require?

The protein skimmer.  That took me over to MarineandReef.com where I used their 10% off coupon (that's how they getcha!) to order the Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB Protein Skimmer.  Is it overkill?  Perhaps.  But I wanted a good HOB skimmer to save a little bit of room behind the filter wall for other goodies..  I tried the Coralife BioCube Protein skimmer when I first purchased the BioCube.  It sorta worked, but it was more hassle than it was worth, especially with fluctuating water levels due to the lack of ATO - hence it's necessity this time around.  With consistent water changes the BioCube has run well without skimming, but I really want to try and take my reef to the next level over the coming months and years.  We shall see how that goes.  

About a year ago I purchased my 3 gal. JBJ Pico from the folks at MarineandReef.com.  They were great.  And I liked that I was buying from a smaller player in the market.  So I also grabbed the Hydor Rotating Water Deflector.  I have a water mover in the BioCube, but wanted to create some more variety of movement in the new tank.  It was also a few bucks cheaper at MarineandReef.com.  Oh, and then I also got the Continuum Aquatics AquaBlade-M Scraper, 15" with Stainless Steel Blade because I don't think I'll ever feel like a real reefer until I purchase and test ever single glass scraper, especially the ones with magnets, on the market.  They all seem to disappoint.  How can that be?  That's how they getcha!  But don't forget about that 10% coupon which was valid on all three items purchased.  

Remember that Amazon.com purchase?  Well, a few things got added to that as well.  Bio-Spira for the new cycle - check.  Never used it before, but It was nearly half the price on Amazon, so worth a try.  I do need to speed things up as both tanks can't stay up and running in my home.  Have you seen the Seachem Ammonia Alert disc?  That was an add-on item at Amazon (that's how they getcha!) so I thought I would give one of those a try.  Finally, I also ordered Bayer Advanced 700270 Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf Concentrate, 40-Ounce for dipping.  I've never dipped before, but I fee like I've been too lucky over the last few years to get as few pests as I have in my tanks.  Plus, a new tank means new corals!

A few pics of my other tanks will be posted soon, along with photos of all the new equipment and set up.  I really hope to try and keep this tank thread up and running.  Stay tuned... 

Stacks

• Like 5

It's been a busy week.  Here is the  14 gal. BioCube before total break down.  It's for sale BTW.  The Cube it self is completely working.  Plus, you get the InTank media basket that goes with it, and some live rock and sand.  If you're in the Chicagoland area and interested let me know.  

2017-04-12 10.29.32.jpg

(Most) Things are up and running.  

Pics to be posted soon-ish - because I am having a difficult time figuring out how to post photos to this site.  I posted the one of my old BioCube, but then it wouldn't let me post any more.  I've tried reading some of the stuff on photography in the forums, but I guess I need to do more since I've still not figured it out.  If anyone has any suggestions and what to read to help me with this I've love to get them.

As for the new tank.  It's beautiful.  The main things is that there is so much more viewing area due to the dimensions and peninsula design.  That, for me, creates that much more enjoyment because I enjoy spying on the tank and looking at all the little things to be found.  The cube was great, but the viewing area is so much smaller.  It's only 4 gallons larger, but feels like my tank has tippled in size.

I basically moved the live rock from my old tank into the new one, after filling it with a new batch of saltwater and the Bio-Spira.  I tossed in the new heater (which is awesome) and got the pump running and the filter sock installed.  I gave it some days and added the clownfish (his name is Ferguson).  Then I gave it more days, created my first arch using live rock.  That was fun and messy.  My partner was very patient as I had the whole kitchen and dining room filled with boxes and mess for over a week while I worked on things, each day tackling a new portion of the tank and its equipment.  Then I "washed" my live sand and added it to the bed after all the work with live rock was done.  

Lights.  This was not fun and it's still not done.  I really like the fixture - Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED Aquarium Light.  However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to safely add it to the mounting arm I purchased.  The insert said there was a video on the Current USA website, but I've not found it.  So I called them and someone took a message and no one got back to me.  Then I called them again and left a voicemail and no one has gotten back to me.  So, for now, I'm simply using the adjustable arms to keep the light above the water which is not an acceptable long term solution.  Am hoping to get some assistance from Current USA soon or the light and arm are going back for something else.  

ATO.   This is my first time having an ATO and it was really fun to set up.  Right now I'm using a 5 gallon bucket for the reservoir, but yesterday I purchased CRYSTAL ATO 5 GALLON RESERVOIR from TRIGGER SYSTEMS at BRS because they were having a sale.  I need something that has a smaller footprint and I think it will do the job nicely.  The ATO is working great - though there have been some problems that I'll describe later that were not the fault of the ATO.  

Skimmer.  I really fu@ked this up!  I did not do enough research and made too many assumptions.  As you may remember, I wanted a over-sized HOB skimmer, so I got one.  The one I really wanted was the AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer, and that's the skimmer I had in my head.  But, it's about $50 more than the one I got, the Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB.  I thought this would be an easy place to save $50.  Well, go back and take a look at those two skimmers if you're not familiar with them.  The AquaMaxx has the pump inside of the actually box.  Whereas the Octo has the pump outside of the box and is to be placed inside the sump.  Ain't no way that big @ss pump will fit in there on the IM 20 Peninsula.  I even took about twenty or thirty minutes messing around with the sump area to see if I could take down the little wall between chambers 2 and 3.  No go.  So that has to go back.  As a replacement, I ordered the Tunze 9001, which everyone seems to love.   I purchased it from Dr. Foster's and Smith because they were having a sale (that's how they getcha!).  While there I grabbed a new 5 pack of Chemi Pure Blue and Purigen.  Per the recommendation of Steve T at InTank, this is what I've run for the last few years in my BioCube and it's always worked well. 

Media Basket.  After I wrote the first post I decided that I was going to get the media basket, and going to get it from InTank because I emailed Steve and he's always super quick to respond to my questions.  Customer service makes all the difference and I'm happy to also try and support a small business.  However, this is where I've run into some trouble.  My fault, not InTank's.  The media basket chamber on the IM is way smaller than the BioCube, probably close to half the size.  In my BioCube I ran the basket with the 5.5 oz Chemi Pure Blue.  I had a new one on hand and that's what I tossed into the chamber - not a good choice.  It basically clogged the chamber.  Which then caused the ATO to kick on and the tank was nearly filled to the brim.  Luckily I caught it in time and was able to pull it all out and get water flowing through the system again.  Right now there is only filter floss in the system and that works ok, but even when that gets a little dirty it starts to restrict the flow.  I'm going to put the nano Chemi Pure in when it arrives and I'm going to have to be extra good about changing filter floss often.  I used to change it about 2 times per week with the BioCube.  All that being said, I had a similar experience with the filter sock that came with the system.  After a few days it was nearly clogged, especially after I put the sand in.  At that time the ATO wasn't in so it "only" made the pump run dry and added tons of micro bubbles.  I was able to catch that quickly also.  So I've been lucky and was expecting to have to make tweaks, especially in the beginning.  But I must say that I'm a little anxious about having the ATO.     

Continuum Aquatics AquaBlade-M Scraper.  Sucks BTW.

More updates to come...

2017-04-07 17.44.29.jpg

• Like 4
On 4/16/2017 at 7:37 PM, pimp4cheddar said:

Following and waiting. Thinking of buying the new 14gal Peninsula...but not sure if I should just go 20gal.

Post some updates!

If you have a few extra inches my personal recommendation would be to get the 20.  I can't really go bigger where we're currently living otherwise I would have.  My experience has been that the tanks fill up quick and there is often a desire to have more room than what's available.    

SaltyBuddha

Love your catch phrase because it's so true. I ordered the Current IC LED from marine depot during their sale and get this, 10x the points!! So basically got it on sale and money back towards more stuff (that's how they getcha!)

Following along for the ride

pimp4cheddar

Very solid update!!! Really good placement as well - works so well on that countertop!!!

Looks like you're going nuts on this build. 

I'm simply going: Tank, Powerhead, Upgraded Return Pump, Chemipure and Filter Floss. 

No skimmer, No ATO, No Controller - I want to keep it really simple and basic. 

The 20 gallon looks big...actually bigger than I thought. I like it though! It's the lighting that I can't figure out as I don't want to mount a light and have it held up on both sides. I basically want an arm that sits over the rear (side) chamber and extends over to the middle of the tank...and I can mount an LED fixture to. Thinking the Hydra 26 might do the trick if I can find a way to mount it sideways (longways over the tank). 

Right now...the wife and I are in discussions to sell our house and buy another one. So I'm torn if I should just wait or buy this bitch now only to tear it down in 4 months lol

How impatient am I...

Love your posts :-) . Theres a limit on the total size of uploaded photos. I think you can fix it either by becoming a premium member or posting photos in a separate site, and linking them here (like instagram).

2 hours ago, pimp4cheddar said:

I don't want to mount a light and have it held up on both sides. I basically want an arm that sits over the rear (side) chamber and extends over to the middle of the tank...and I can mount an LED fixture to.

That's the exact same thing I'm trying to do!  

3 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Love your catch phrase because it's so true. I ordered the Current IC LED from marine depot during their sale and get this, 10x the points!! So basically got it on sale and money back towards more stuff (that's how they getcha!)

Following along for the ride

Points are great.  Nearly as good as "CASH BACK!"  The 5% on BRS and Marine Depot totally get me.  Even though, I've made a few purchases at each, I have yet to actually receive any of this "cash back" - certainly not in the form of cash, nor in the form of a discount.  

We could probably start a whole new thread on credit cards and how they getcha with cash back and points.  Here's my one suggestion: Always pay that shi& off in full each month!  Don't let all that money we spend on our hobby compound via insane 28% interest rates, please!

2 hours ago, Ranjib said:

Love your posts :-) . Theres a limit on the total size of uploaded photos. I think you can fix it either by becoming a premium member or posting photos in a separate site, and linking them here (like instagram).

That's kinda helpful.  Though I honestly want another website with another username and password like I want a hole in my tank.  HA!

• Like 1

I seriously need skimmer help!

What skimmer have folks tried on the IM 20 gal. Peninsula that have FIT?

If you read earlier posts you know that I got a skimmer that didn't fit - the Reef Octo 100 HOB.  So I decided to do more research.  Looked at websites and saw a site (which will remain nameless) that recommended the Tunze 9001.  I even contacted them and they recommended the 9001 over any of the other skimmers listed (and it wasn't the most expensive!).  Well, you know how this ends.  I got it home.  I was thrilled.  We were gonna get to skimming on this new tank.  And the f@cking thing DOES NOT FIT.  Don't let anyone tell ya different.  

So I'm on the hunt for Skimmer #3, in as many weeks.  Suggestions?  At this point (and I still need to do a lot more research apparently) It looks like my only option may be the IM Ghost, which seems to get mixed reviews.  The other thing I'm considering, but clearly going to have to take measurements for myself (where did I put that ruler?) is the Aqua Max HOB.  It's more $$$, but the pump is on the inside, so I'm hoping it might work.  Anyone try it?

Maybe I'm just frustrated from my own initial mistake, but I'm feeling like IM isn't quiet as flexible a tank as I would like it to be in terms of being able to pick my own gear and have it be compatible.  I'm starting to feel more limited to IM products, and that's no fun.

Are you in the market for a new skimmer?  If so, let me know.  Mine are now for sale.  At this point I may have to open my own online aquarium supply store. 

BTW - Anyone get that PRO light to mount?  I see there is a contest with the 14 Gal Peninsula with the PRO light and arm.  I'm still looking for some solutions with that, too.

pimp4cheddar
On 4/23/2017 at 4:32 PM, stacks said:

I seriously need skimmer help!

What skimmer have folks tried on the IM 20 gal. Peninsula that have FIT?

If you read earlier posts you know that I got a skimmer that didn't fit - the Reef Octo 100 HOB.  So I decided to do more research.  Looked at websites and saw a site (which will remain nameless) that recommended the Tunze 9001.  I even contacted them and they recommended the 9001 over any of the other skimmers listed (and it wasn't the most expensive!).  Well, you know how this ends.  I got it home.  I was thrilled.  We were gonna get to skimming on this new tank.  And the f@cking thing DOES NOT FIT.  Don't let anyone tell ya different.  

So I'm on the hunt for Skimmer #3, in as many weeks.  Suggestions?  At this point (and I still need to do a lot more research apparently) It looks like my only option may be the IM Ghost, which seems to get mixed reviews.  The other thing I'm considering, but clearly going to have to take measurements for myself (where did I put that ruler?) is the Aqua Max HOB.  It's more $$$, but the pump is on the inside, so I'm hoping it might work.  Anyone try it?

Maybe I'm just frustrated from my own initial mistake, but I'm feeling like IM isn't quiet as flexible a tank as I would like it to be in terms of being able to pick my own gear and have it be compatible.  I'm starting to feel more limited to IM products, and that's no fun.

Are you in the market for a new skimmer?  If so, let me know.  Mine are now for sale.  At this point I may have to open my own online aquarium supply store. 

BTW - Anyone get that PRO light to mount?  I see there is a contest with the 14 Gal Peninsula with the PRO light and arm.  I'm still looking for some solutions with that, too.

Just curious - why do you really need a skimmer for a tank of this size? Do you find that one is absolutely needed?

I don't have any advice on fitting one in since the back chamber is so slim...but I've seen hang on back or even externally plumbed skimmers that were hidden nearby (perhaps in a cabinet or something like that to keep them out of clear view). 

Also - where is this contest at? I can't find anything about it on the site :-/

13 minutes ago, pimp4cheddar said:

Just curious - why do you really need a skimmer for a tank of this size? Do you find that one is absolutely needed?

I don't have any advice on fitting one in since the back chamber is so slim...but I've seen hang on back or even externally plumbed skimmers that were hidden nearby (perhaps in a cabinet or something like that to keep them out of clear view). 

Also - where is this contest at? I can't find anything about it on the site :-/

• Like 2

eshopps nano skimmer fits in the back chambers. I have one I used on a biocube and the IM 20. I don't remember how it falls compared to other cost wise though. 

• Like 1

The struggle is real...  Things are a mess...

Why oh why did I get a new tank?  And then try to set it up over one frenzied week?  I could try and blame my partner because she said "no" to vacation, but that would be wrong of me.  I accept full responsibility.  

The problems that started with the InTank media basket and have continued on.  I am still futzing with it.  The IM design is actually very limiting, starting with the fact that the media basket chamber is too small and things don't flow well even with a minimal amount of media.  

Skimmer wars have continued.  One good thing was that I contacted AquaMaxx and they responded quickly and thoroughly.  I will post my questions and what they said separately.  It was great to get such good customer service; I'm sad that I can't use their product.  Ultimately, I went with the IM Ghost.  It fits, which is important.  I'm not in love with it, but it's been in about 5 days and seems to be breaking in.  It's been micro bubble city in the tank, but things are getting better and it's starting to produce good skim-mate.  It's good enough.  Additionally, I purchased it on Amazon.com as a Warehouse deal, so paid $114 instead of $150 - so I saved a few bucks.  

The light is still a problem, but I emailed Ike at Current today thanks to the help of @metrokat.   I'm closely following what's happening on the 100 Days of Nanos thread seeing as My build is very similar to what they are doing, just 6 gal. bigger in volume.   Hopefully I will hear back from Ike and be able to finally put the light problems to rest.  

The big issue is Alk.  I've never had this problem before, but it's huge and killing everything.  With this new tank my dKH has spiked to between 17-19!  I have used the same salt - Instant Ocean since I started reefing with no problems.  I essentially put the old tank in the new tank, same rock, sand, fish, corals, etc.  So I thought I would be able to get this all set up super fast.  I did this with my pico tank at one of my offices and it worked well! So I assumed...

I've tried everything over the last two weeks.  Waiting - Alk didn't drop, as many posts said it naturally would.  My guess is that this has to do with the fact that my corrals are pissed and not doing what it is they do.  I think their systems are shutting down and dying.  I also tried water changes - Alk didn't drop.  I tested the saltwater after I mixed it.  Alk levels at that time = 17.  Bingo!  I found the problem.  It was the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals mix.  So I went out and got the Instant Ocean purple bucket, plain sea salt, hoping that would fix it, thinking it would have less "stuff" in it.  Mixed up a batch.  Alk=17.  Sh!t!  Maybe it's my water.  Checked the water - Alk = 7.  So now I need another salt that's lower in Alk, but I also have a lifetime supply of Instant Ocean if anyone's interested because they have a tank that eats up Alk fast.  In the meantime, I finally took the corrals out and put them in my old tank.  I've kept it alive simply for an emergency like this and it has normal levels of Alk (I truly don't understand why as it's the same water and salt used in both tanks!), but so it is.  

Oh, and I'm thinking of trying the Muric Acid thing - though I can't seem to find any near me (Chicago) and I'm really nervous about it.  

And not to mention I'm in the middle of the worst algae problem I've ever had.  I'm thinking of getting a small yellow tang to help eat it until it's under control, and they trading it at the local fish store.  Does anyone know how if/how high Alk impacts fish?   

• Like 1
kimberbee
3 minutes ago, stacks said:

Oh, and I'm thinking of trying the Muric Acid thing - though I can't seem to find any near me (Chicago) and I'm really nervous about it.  

Sorry I didn't read it all yet, but this popped out at me. You should be able to find muriatic acid at pool supply stores! It's usually used to clean pool filters. :)

Is there a particular brand?  I'm concerned if there will be various additional chemicals in the mix depending on brand or whatnot.  Does it have to be liquid or is solid pellets an option?

Weetabix7

Are you using a new bucket to mix water?

I saw one time in the past where someone had a problem in their tank and they finally were able to trace it back to the bucket they were using to mix water, it apparently had some chemicals left over from the "mold release". 

Just a thought. 

kimberbee
11 minutes ago, stacks said:

Is there a particular brand?  I'm concerned if there will be various additional chemicals in the mix depending on brand or whatnot.  Does it have to be liquid or is solid pellets an option?

Muriatic Acid should be the same thing no matter what brand you get or where you get it from. As long as the bottle doesn't say it has any other additives, you should be fine. 

However, reading your problems, I'm wondering what you want the muriatic acid for? Sounds like you have a lot of things going on in this little tank, you should work on them before adding any fishes. 

Sounds like step one is figuring out your water. What is Instant Ocean supposed to mix to for Alk? Maybe the store will take a bad batch of salt back if it's not mixing right? I honestly don't know, I've never had the issue. 

17 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Are you using a new bucket to mix water?

I saw one time in the past where someone had a problem in their tank and they finally were able to trace it back to the bucket they were using to mix water, it apparently had some chemicals left over from the "mold release". 

Just a thought. 

Interesting.  I will do an experiment and check to see if that's the problem.  

• Like 1

I would contact the salt company and send them the batch # and have them test it. They should replace it with a good bucket. There really isn't any salt on the market that goes that high, so this has to be a bad batch.

• Like 2