Pod Your Reef

xiaoxiy

6 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

How’s that skims algae reactor working out? I want an Arid 

I have no idea lmao. Chaeto is slowly growing; besides that, I have no other observation. At least it looks cool right?

5 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Nice setup

i thought you were supposed to remove the skimmer cup to produce heavy Aeration during the 48 hours of the chemiclean dose?

Yeah, but the skimmer still will act crazy after the termination of your chemiclean treatment until all of the surfactant is removed/skimmed out. I used my restriction method after terminating my treatment; it allowed my skimmer to go back to skimming regularly overnight. It typically takes >1 week post chemiclean to have a normal skimmer again!

Acropora are healing and encrusting relatively quickly.

Here's an acropora mariculture colony that I grabbed 2 weeks ago and immediately fragged in half. The fragmentation site has completely healed up on both halves of the colony, and have begun encrusting again. You can see where the acropora has encrusted over the epoxy over the past 2 weeks.

25799694878_05fc1280b9_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

49 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Yeah! ATI Hybrid Sunpower 4 bulb with 4 NBR arrays.

Heck yes! Shoot me a FTS with the light. I'd love to share. If you get a slight angle showing the LED and T5? :D

• Like 1
On 1/15/2018 at 9:23 AM, DaveFason said:

Heck yes! Shoot me a FTS with the light. I'd love to share. If you get a slight angle showing the LED and T5? :D

Absolutely!

On a side note, we are in the process of setting up a softie/sea horse tank for my fiancee. It's a IM 20 Peninsula tank. I'm trying to convince her to join us on NR and start a tank journal thread.

39740093862_7918f14767_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

Here are some more macros I took this week.

39734012521_da24185524_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

39024800214_76d422d143_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

38835533695_ff522aaf1a_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

25862106428_58305ba2a9_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

24864535527_0776f95cfe_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I love the IM 20 peninsula!  What are you planning to light it with?  I thought for seahorse tank, it's better to be a column shape tank?

Really? I know nothing about sea horses. The one we have our eye on has been in our LFS' intervebrate tank for 3 months. His name is Edward and we fell in love with him when he wrapped his tail around my Fiancee's finger.... He's currently on hold for us.

We're gonna use my old 24Wx4 ATI Powermodule to light the tank. Plenty of light for softies, lps, sps and clams should we decide to go that route!

Hey Xiaoxi, nice thread.  You weren’t kidding when you said you’d had some ups and downs.

Guys and gals, I got to see this tank Saturday afternoon and it is gorgeous.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, IAShane said:

Hey Xiaoxi, nice thread.  You weren’t kidding when you said you’d had some ups and downs.

Guys and gals, I got to see this tank Saturday afternoon and it is gorgeous.

Thanks for dropping by man! 

On a side note, I had a tank nightmare yesterday, as well as Sunday. On Sunday, my Hybrid PSU burnt out so I placed an order for a new one. Yesterday, I came home to find my royal blue channel on the hybrid unresponsive. After some diagnostics, I realized that the RBs on 1 array were poop'd so I rewired the light to bypass that set of RBs and all the other RBs came back on. Then I took a look into the tank, and half of a colony (the green one on the back wall) had RTN'd over the short course of 24 hours....

I feel like I can never catch a break with my tanks :(.

• Sad 1

Aw man, the hits keep coming.  I admire your determination though to tear into the problem and keep going.

I got some green-tipped pink birdsnest, forest fire digi, and scrambled eggs Zoas at Matt’s on Sunday.  

1 hour ago, IAShane said:

Aw man, the hits keep coming.  I admire your determination though to tear into the problem and keep going.

I got some green-tipped pink birdsnest, forest fire digi, and scrambled eggs Zoas at Matt’s on Sunday.  

That's awesome! How was that meet up?

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

That's awesome! How was that meet up?

Pretty good.  We pretty much just hung around Matt’s tanks.  He has quite a few big ones and they’re all packed with coral.  There was a good turnout too.

The birdsnest and digi were free to anyone who came.

14 minutes ago, IAShane said:

Pretty good.  We pretty much just hung around Matt’s tanks.  He has quite a few big ones and they’re all packed with coral.  There was a good turnout too.

The birdsnest and digi were free to anyone who came.

Haha awesome. His tanks are pretty impressive. He has a huge system.

9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Dang sorry to hear about the rtn. Is everything else OK? 

Yeah! It was the only colony to go. :( Out of the blue too, had great PE the day previously.

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Yeah! It was the only colony to go. :( Out of the blue too, had great PE the day previously.

I hate when that happens and there's just no apparent explanation. But at least it was only the one coral.