Coral Vue Hydros

xiaoxiy

Well boys and girls... my pocillopora decided to reproduce. I now have at least 50+ baby pocillopora growing in random places of my frag tank, on frag plugs and eggcrate. They're about 1mm in diameter right now, and are too small to photograph effectively. I don't see any in the display: whew.

38663228714_5c41717c80_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Wow 2

Things have been doing extremely well! SPS are growing, encrusting and have great PE. I've also made some changes to the sump: swapped out my DIY sump for a Skimz UP18, and also got a macroalgae reactor.

38493915335_9b38a54f93_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

Here are some coral updates:

38496597135_7c1a02f9fe_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

27597319699_67508e07a8_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

27597319679_6e0b0c9ab1_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

25504914258_c8c83fa2af_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

25504914238_0d68bf8a0a_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

40 days of Montipora Growth: November 18th to December 29th

37792416994_aa7df19330_z.jpg27597319719_2fa02dd4c5_z.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Everything is looking really good. 

I love that frag tank setup under there!

Are you using a SKimz pump for your return or is that controller for the new skimmer?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Wow! Everything is looking really good. 

I love that frag tank setup under there!

Are you using a SKimz pump for your return or is that controller for the new skimmer?

Thanks man.

The Skimz pump is for the macroalgae reactor! I'm still using my good ol' Ice Cap K250 skimmer.

There is a frag that has been through high hell with me, bleaching, browning, and is now finally getting its color back. I inquired as to the lineage of the frag at the LFS that sold it to me, cause I thought it looked like a Walt Disney now that it has been getting its color back. The LFS owner replied with "Nah.... that was a Jason Fox Homewrecker I sold you". To think that I almost chucked the frag a few months ago, when it was bleached and STNing.

Well boys, that's how I found out today that I have been in possession of a Jason Fox Homewrecker frag for the past 6 months.... Best part is, I definitely DID NOT pay $899 for it. 

Now for a picture of said frag.

27618190369_cbb800f7fd_b.jpg24529698247_19502243bb_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

There is a frag that has been through high hell with me, bleaching, browning, and is now finally getting its color back. I inquired as to the lineage of the frag at the LFS that sold it to me, cause I thought it looked like a Walt Disney now that it has been getting its color back. The LFS owner replied with "Nah.... that was a Jason Fox Homewrecker I sold you". To think that I almost chucked the frag a few months ago, when it was bleached and STNing.

Well boys, that's how I found out today that I have been in possession of a Jason Fox Homewrecker frag for the past 6 months.... Best part is, I definitely DID NOT pay $899 for it. 

Now for a picture of said frag.

27618190369_cbb800f7fd_b.jpg24529698247_19502243bb_b.jpg

Wow, that's really cool! Just don't let that coral know it's expensive, it will kill itself immediately. At least that's what always happens to me :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
35 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that's really cool! Just don't let that coral know it's expensive, it will kill itself immediately. At least that's what always happens to me :P

Lmao. Maybe that's why it survived a full tank crash.....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Lmao. Maybe that's why it survived a full tank crash.....

Exactly. As long as you think of it as a brown turd it will be indestructible!

That frag tank down below is pretty cool. How many gallons is that? I'm running the same tank and with my sump and ato container, space is at a premium. Although I also have 2 brs dosing pumps/reservoirs and a co2 scrubber down there as well. Is all your power cords outside the cabinet? 

7 hours ago, Gatorbait01 said:

That frag tank down below is pretty cool. How many gallons is that? I'm running the same tank and with my sump and ato container, space is at a premium. Although I also have 2 brs dosing pumps/reservoirs and a co2 scrubber down there as well. Is all your power cords outside the cabinet? 

It's a 6 gallon frag tank. I'm not using the stock ELOS MIDI stand. Instead, my MIDI sits on top of an ikea kitchen cabinet, which measures about 48 x 22 x 35. The cabinet has two compartments, my electrical and dosing component, and a sump compartment. The sump compartment footprint is about 29 x 22.

15 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

It's a 6 gallon frag tank. I'm not using the stock ELOS MIDI stand. Instead, my MIDI sits on top of an ikea kitchen cabinet, which measures about 48 x 22 x 35. The cabinet has two compartments, my electrical and dosing component, and a sump compartment. The sump compartment footprint is about 29 x 22.

Ohh... That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. 

Really looking nice. The frag looks a lot like the Walt Disney ( corallites ). The HW I have seen have are a bit different but who knows! Regardless you will have a bad ass frag! 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, DaveFason said:

Really looking nice. The frag looks a lot like the Walt Disney ( corallites ). The HW I have seen have are a bit different but who knows! Regardless you will have a bad ass frag! 

That's what I thought originally too! But I definitely bought this frag from the Vendor before he got his Walt Disney. Super excited to see how things progress.

Now I gotta figure out how to deal with my Cyano....

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

That's what I thought originally too! But I definitely bought this frag from the Vendor before he got his Walt Disney. Super excited to see how things progress.

Now I gotta figure out how to deal with my Cyano....

do not dose chemiclean.  it has made my skimmer go crazy for a month now and i suspect it may have something to do with my dinos...

10 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

do not dose chemiclean.  it has made my skimmer go crazy for a month now and i suspect it may have something to do with my dinos...

Lmao too late. I just siphoned my sandbed and dosed chemiclean 15 minutes ago.

I've dosed it in the past without issue; skimmer usually quiets down within a week. I plan on adding some MB7 after the water change, and also dosing some iron for my Chaeto as well.

10 minutes ago, cobra2326 said:

The scape on this one is just inspirational. If you continue to carefully place corals, when this matures it will be a miniature model of a full-blown reef :)

Thanks man! That's the hope. Unless something dies, I think I'm done adding frags/corals to the display tank! Now I'm at the phase where I am just letting things grow out.

I had some full blown cyano from trying to dirty up my ULNS for a clam. Got a little over zealous and cyano ensued. I'm always a fan of UV filters that helped a lot and a fuge. I still have a little

cyano in the fuge but I try to clean it out as often as possible. But it stays in the fuge and doesn't pass the uv at the return. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gogeta said:

I had some full blown cyano from trying to dirty up my ULNS for a clam. Got a little over zealous and cyano ensued. I'm always a fan of UV filters that helped a lot and a fuge. I still have a little

cyano in the fuge but I try to clean it out as often as possible. But it stays in the fuge and doesn't pass the uv at the return. 

I finally got mad at the cyano after my lights looked purple due to the reflection from Cyano.....

Here's a post chemiclean vid update! Tank is basically free of cyano! 

Chemiclean is notorious for messing up skimmers and causing them to overflow, but I figured out a simple technique to prevent my skimmer from overflowing as chemiclean is being worked out of my system! All you need to do is to open up the outlet to your skimmer and restrict the airflow out of your skimmer cup cap! I just used a piece of tape. This forces the skimmer to skim drier. Use the tape to adjust the skimmate dryness.

24677484067_fba0d6ce0b_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

27768831629_72d5761b94_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

38836142924_a99a916b7a_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty

Nice setup

i thought you were supposed to remove the skimmer cup to produce heavy Aeration during the 48 hours of the chemiclean dose?