inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish sick, Brooklynella or ich?

James Macaluso

James Macaluso

Hey guys, 

Its been week 2 with my first clown so far. Plenty of things good and bad have happened in that short span of the time. This is one of the bad though...

On the first two days of getting him, he developed (ich?). I treated with machelite green and it disappeared in a day. He was eating mysis shrimp since the 2nd day purchased from the LFS. Soon enough he started to venture the tank and his appetite grew quite a bit. He doesn't like the Omega One pellets and stuck with the mysis shrimp instead. 

Since the first outbreak he did better and better, until the same disease came back to strike again. And this time, with red rash looking thing on the band closest to his head . 

First thing I did when I saw it is treat with machelite green again, and after less than 1 day I'm seeing improvements in appetite, decreased whitish spots and the rashes have almost disappeared altogether.  

Im worried if he makes it through again, could the disease possibly strike again next week? How can I remove it completely? 

I also have a very young puffer that I caught myself about as big as the clown or a little bigger. He's very healthy, eats really well and has not gotten sick once for the whole time I've had him. (I plan to donate him to my high school 75gallon that a friend and I set up or to sell to an LFS once he outgrows the tank.) So he won't be in my tank for very long. 

Tank specs: 

10 gallon, cycled for a month now. 

Reads 0 ammonia 

0 nitrite 

and about 40 nitrates (trying to lower asap) *Used tap instead of Rodi* 

Attached are some pics of my clown on the second day of him being reinfected. (Im having an algae problem from putting my tank near natural light) so I'm moving it ASAP

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 8.22.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 8.22.30 PM.png

Looks like Ich on his fin.  Malachite green isn't as effective as Cupramine in a hospital tank.  Here's an article which might help:

• 1 month later...

Archived