Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 12 gallon nano

Braun036

9 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

So today my mom and sister wanted to buy me some coral for the tank my sister bought me a colt and my mom bought me a Duncan.  I really love both corals but my god my tank is way to small for all this. Please review the picture I have post and leave a comment on where things should be going. This is really a lot harder than I thought. 

IMG_1721.JPG

I already had to shift some rocks around a little bit but I am not sure that made a difference 

Your tank isn't too small for this, it actually looks fine to me. :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after a couple of hours with the new stuff in the tank everything started to open back up and looks pretty good.  My Xenia however started to melt today. Not really sure what his problem is.  My water is in good shape. 

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

I guess on that top rock I plan to put mushrooms up there and that is really going to be it. And then I think I am just going to let the tank be.  

Mine has done the same thing.  I was told my tank is to clean....  Moved mine to a vase going to do nothing but top offs and snow see if it recovers but not holding my breath.

Okay that is funny because that is what the LFS just said.  If it doesn't make it then I am done with the Xenia then.  I was hoping for it to spread like wildfire but that just doesn't seem to be the case. 

1 minute ago, Braun036 said:

Okay that is funny because that is what the LFS just said.  If it doesn't make it then I am done with the Xenia then.  I was hoping for it to spread like wildfire but that just doesn't seem to be the case. 

Well, you ARE very careful about keeping your tank "just so". :lol:

That's not melting Xenia in the pic, it's just compacting it's trunk some, it may just be mildly irritated. I'd try putting it in lower flow and lower light. 

Now where am I going to put it I added to much stuff to my tank.  Lol

IMG_1728.JPG

Currently it is to the left the colt and the frog spawn kinda in the middle with low flow 

19 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

Now where am I going to put it I added to much stuff to my tank.  Lol

IMG_1728.JPG

Currently it is to the left the colt and the frog spawn kinda in the middle with low flow 

Try putting it either right next to the GSP, directly to the right of it (they shouldn't bug each other), or on the left, behind the GSP and kinda halfway up the rock structure that the Hammer is at the top of. 

12 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

I like feeding the Duncan it is pretty cool but the cleaner shrimp like to steal his food. 

Yeah, they do that. 

You can make a handy protective dome to put over while it's eating. 

Take either a bottle from bottled water or an empty 2 liter soda bottle, and cut it in half. 

You can put the top half of the bottle over the Coral while it's eating to prevent food from being stolen from it. 

You can use the bottom half of the bottle in the same way if you make a few, small holes in it. 

Omg I love that idea thank you I will definitely do that. 

10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Try putting it either right next to the GSP, directly to the right of it (they shouldn't bug each other), or on the left, behind the GSP and kinda halfway up the rock structure that the Hammer is at the top of. 

Okay I will place the Xenia to the left of the GPS I think that would be a good spot. Maybe the frog spawn is annoying the Xenia. I hear they pack a powerful punch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a updated picture everything is doing well and it is amazing how things grow. I am done adding these to the tank just going to enjoy it now. 

IMG_1770.JPG

So my tank has been up and running for about two months and I am very pleased with how things are going so far. If you have been following my journey with this 12 gallon then you would know that  calcium was also my problem with it being two low. Well now it is a little bit to high coming in at 500 ppm so I have to work on that now. But today I did add a red flowerpot coral today. Which I absolutely love. I think the bright red just looks amazing. I just added it about 10 minutes ago so I am hoping tomorrow it opens up a little bit. But take a look anyways lol. 

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

Weetabix7
11 hours ago, Braun036 said:

So my tank has been up and running for about two months and I am very pleased with how things are going so far. If you have been following my journey with this 12 gallon then you would know that  calcium was also my problem with it being two low. Well now it is a little bit to high coming in at 500 ppm so I have to work on that now. But today I did add a red flowerpot coral today. Which I absolutely love. I think the bright red just looks amazing. I just added it about 10 minutes ago so I am hoping tomorrow it opens up a little bit. But take a look anyways lol. 

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

Your tank is looking beautiful!!!!

Flowerpots are really neat corals. 

You might want to consider feeding them a special food like Reef Chili or Goniopora Power. 

@natalia_la_loca has 3 different ones in her Reef Bowl, but I don't remember what she feeds them.

Weetabix7
5 hours ago, Braun036 said:

I was planning on using coral frenzy.  

That could work. 

I saw a really pretty long-tentacle Green Goniopora frag today that I came super close to getting, but held off cause I'm working on some other tank stuff. 

You should have got it.  They are pretty cool. I will use the reef chili. How often would you say to feed that I am having a hard time finding information on this coral. 

Weetabix7
8 hours ago, Braun036 said:

You should have got it.  They are pretty cool. I will use the reef chili. How often would you say to feed that I am having a hard time finding information on this coral. 

Keep researching, I'm still fine-tuning my own info on feeding frequency for that. 

I'd make an educated guess of 2-3 times a week, and have one of those times be the morning/early part of the day you do your WC.

natalia_la_loca

Reef Roids are said to be beneficial to gonis. I use them in my reefbowl and have 3 kinds of gonis that are doing well.

Archived