Cultivated Reef

5.5 Gallon Mixed Reef

Lorekeeper

33 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Is there a way to change thread names?

The name of this one isn't exactly accurate ;)

Go to your first post and click edit, you should be able to edit the title from there. :)

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Go to your first post and click edit, you should be able to edit the title from there. :)

Thanks!

I was in the middle of reading your thread (page 8 so far), and the tank looks great! Cute pom pom, although I'm still leaning towards the pederson shrimp.

Out of all the things that you've got in that tank, the thing that's stuck out most to me is the red palm macro. I've seen it online, and didn't think much of it, but it's gorgeous in your tank!

I had an idea (Yes, it hurt) thanks to your "coral carpet" on the left side of your tank. I have a good spot 2-3" in diameter front and center in the tank, that I may try to use to replicate that, and then fill in the background with macros, xenia, and maybe a kenya tree or two.

Sorry to hear about the issues you had with it. Hope it turns around!

Pretty excited!

May be getting a ride to KY SW Supplies in Lexington tomorrow to pick up some Live Rock rubble!

This guy has some AMAZING rock (when I was picking out rock for my 29 FOWLR, he gave me some rock that were completely encrusted in coraline for $4 a lb) and he just got a new shipment in!

I'm thinking about picking up a pound and using it in place of the chunk of rock on the left. At the very least, it'll add some new life into the tank to keep me occupied while the tank cycles (I'm impatient... it's a deadly flaw).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Pretty excited!

May be getting a ride to KY SW Supplies in Lexington tomorrow to pick up some Live Rock rubble!

This guy has some AMAZING rock (when I was picking out rock for my 29 FOWLR, he gave me some rock that were completely encrusted in coraline for $4 a lb) and he just got a new shipment in!

I'm thinking about picking up a pound and using it in place of the chunk of rock on the left. At the very least, it'll add some new life into the tank to keep me occupied while the tank cycles (I'm impatient... it's a deadly flaw).

Oooh, cool!!!

Digging and sorting through Live Rock totally brings out the Reef Nerd in me!!!

That'd be really awesome if you could get some coralline encrusted stuff. 

Getting really good quality yet small pieces of LR has been one of the things I've struggled with for my Waterfall Pico. 

Got to dig through the rubble bins at my LFS a couple weeks ago and have 3 small pieces "aging" in another tank before I commit them to the Waterfall. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems like curing the live rock can be one of the most entertaining times in a tanks life.

After reading Lula's thread, I've definitely got a few ideas in my head on what I want to do (I've got a Natalia/Lula/Weetie mashup going on), although I haven't really come up with anything final yet, and I'll probably change my mind again by tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking about a xenia background (I kinda want to attempt GSP instead, but I've never kept them and I don't know if I could get the same effect), the macroalgae planted in both the sand behind the rock and glued to the rock, then having mushrooms and smaller soft corals in the very front of the tank near the sand bed.

As of now, I'm most interested in the macros, but we'll see. The red palm just keeps on getting more and more appealing!

• Like 3

Why not do both Xenia and GSP?

They have very similar requirements and growth rates. 

Do a search for PolarCollision on here, she had a GSP wall on the back of her tank that looked great and she has several pics of it on her tank thread. 

I was actually worried about calcified macroalgae+a bunch of fast growing corals depleting the tank of nutrients and minerals before I could refill it.

Is that irrational? 

Noted.

Just a really off-topic thought, but have you seen this pest tank? 

It's actually kind of a pretty tank... 

• Like 1
Just now, Braun036 said:

I think that tank looks beautiful. And I can't believe how strong that crab is. 

I know! I don't even know what kind of crab that is... a mirthrax on steroids?

I wouldn't mind doing a tank like that one day, in the far future.

Anyone have any clue what kind of macro that is in the corner? The really, really bright green?

• Like 1

If you mean the front right corner of the tank, pretty sure it's Caulerpa Prolifera, the long green bladed one. 

It's pretty but needs to be harvested regularly cause it grows fast. 

• Like 1
Just now, Lorekeeper said:

So in other words nothing I want to deal with in my tank... thanks! Lol.

Well..... Xenia and GSP will grow fast too. ;)

You just frag them and sell or trade to other Reefers or LFS. 

That is true.

If I find some for cheap, I may get a bit and see just how quick it grows. Might be worth it for the color.

My main objective for this tank is to have a good macroalgae tank, so if the xenia or the gsp (or any of the other corals, for that matter) started taking over too fast for me to frag, I'd probably just get rid of them.

I vote for an anemone shrimp! Mine is so cool.  He's out and about most of the time...hangs out in the star polyps, grooms the corals, and last night he was literally doing laps around the bowl...and I don't mean walking - I'm talking swimming.  This thing was zooming around. Fun to watch.  

My trochus snails are very efficient as Natalia mentioned.  I have two and they keep the bowl clean but will knock corals over if they aren't glued down. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Yeah, it seems like curing the live rock can be one of the most entertaining times in a tanks life.

After reading Lula's thread, I've definitely got a few ideas in my head on what I want to do (I've got a Natalia/Lula/Weetie mashup going on), although I haven't really come up with anything final yet, and I'll probably change my mind again by tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking about a xenia background (I kinda want to attempt GSP instead, but I've never kept them and I don't know if I could get the same effect), the macroalgae planted in both the sand behind the rock and glued to the rock, then having mushrooms and smaller soft corals in the very front of the tank near the sand bed.

As of now, I'm most interested in the macros, but we'll see. The red palm just keeps on getting more and more appealing!

The red palm came from LA Reefs, and I was shocked at the size of the frag!  Last time I ordered from them several years ago, my frags were a good bit smaller.  I found the scientific name of red palm once but I'd have to dig around a bit to find it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I vote for an anemone shrimp! Mine is so cool.  He's out and about most of the time...hangs out in the star polyps, grooms the corals, and last night he was literally doing laps around the bowl...and I don't mean walking - I'm talking swimming.  This thing was zooming around. Fun to watch.  

My trochus snails are very efficient as Natalia mentioned.  I have two and they keep the bowl clean but will knock corals over if they aren't glued down. 

I think I've settled on the Pederson's anemone shrimp, although it was close between the shrimp and a pom pom!

2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

The red palm came from LA Reefs, and I was shocked at the size of the frag!  Last time I ordered from them several years ago, my frags were a good bit smaller.  I found the scientific name of red palm once but I'd have to dig around a bit to find it.

Really? I'll watch to see if it comes back in stock! If not, I've found quite a few ebay sellers with it listed.

• Like 1

Be sure (especially on ebay) that you check the size of the frag they are offering so you're not expecting a good size frag and get something teeny!  Sometimes LA Reefs will sell on ebay too, or they did once upon a time.

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be sure (especially on ebay) that you check the size of the frag they are offering so you're not expecting a good size frag and get something teeny!  Sometimes LA Reefs will sell on ebay too, or they did once upon a time.

Thanks for the heads up!

It's gonna be a while till I order, so at least I have time to search around.

LA reefs has a good selection of macros (When they're in stock), so I may do my shopping there.

11 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I love your tank already!!! 

Wish my parents would let me keep a sw one when I still lived at home! 

Thanks Lisa!

It took a lot of convincing to let me have one!

Just did another test:

Ammonia: 3 PPM (Between 2-4 PPM)

Nitrite:0.25

Nitrate: 10 PPM

The Nitrite reading makes little sense to me... I think I did that test wrong yesterday. 

It isn't looking good for me getting any rock today. I can't get a ride to Lexington before 5 :/

Things will be so much easier once I have my License!

29 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Thanks Lisa!

It took a lot of convincing to let me have one!

Just did another test:

Ammonia: 3 PPM (Between 2-4 PPM)

Nitrite:0.25

Nitrate: 10 PPM

The Nitrite reading makes little sense to me... I think I did that test wrong yesterday. 

It isn't looking good for me getting any rock today. I can't get a ride to Lexington before 5 :/

Things will be so much easier once I have my License!

Thats the easier thing yeah. Although I might just ask my dad to bring me to the shop tomorrow as well :rolleyes:

• Like 2