inTank Media Baskets

GFO for a nano reef

StevieGF

I was thinking about a gfo reactor for my fluval 13.5 gallon. Went to BRS calculator and it said the amount of GFO was 1 tbsp? I am not familiar with gfo and fluidized reactors and this sounds like a tiny amount. My question is will this be effective on my nano reef or is it overkill. Putting a lot of time and work into this tank and hoping for great results

ReefSafeSolutions

I tried GFO in my Lagoon 25...I didn't have great luck with it.  Then my dad and I found this stuff, Phosphate RX.  Give this a read/watch:

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/03/16/melevs-reef-explains-phosphate-rx/

If you're trying to remove phosphates, it doesn't get easier than this stuff.  I had around .2ppm phosphates (a TON) and dosed the recommended amount in my tank...next day I had 0.  No ill effects.  Very happy with this stuff.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ReefSafeSolutions said:

I tried GFO in my Lagoon 25...I didn't have great luck with it.  Then my dad and I found this stuff, Phosphate RX.  Give this a read/watch:

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/03/16/melevs-reef-explains-phosphate-rx/

If you're trying to remove phosphates, it doesn't get easier than this stuff.  I had around .2ppm phosphates (a TON) and dosed the recommended amount in my tank...next day I had 0.  No ill effects.  Very happy with this stuff.

Never even heard of this product. This sounds wicked, although I'm still hesitant to try it.

1 hour ago, StevieGF said:

I was thinking about a gfo reactor for my fluval 13.5 gallon. Went to BRS calculator and it said the amount of GFO was 1 tbsp? I am not familiar with gfo and fluidized reactors and this sounds like a tiny amount. My question is will this be effective on my nano reef or is it overkill. Putting a lot of time and work into this tank and hoping for great results

I just use RowaPhos in a media bag. I know people who have been doing this for years and it works for them.

Phosphate Rx is just lanthanum chloride.  This is actually used in pool maintenance to remove phosphates from the water to prevent algae growth.  I use it occasionally because I don't have media like GFO to remove phosphates.  Like GFO, however, you should be careful to avoid excessive dosing, else your phosphates drop too fast.

• Like 1

I've used both gfo and Phosphate Rx. I know it doesn't seem much, but I actually use half the dosage recommended by the BRS calculator just to make sure that phosphates don't drop too fast. The only downside is I have to replace gfo twice as often,usually about every two or three weeks. 

PhosphateRX is great but even one drop in a small tank can lower phosphates quite a bit so be cautious. Also, you must use a skimmer, or a fine filter, to filter out the precipitate. Otherwise it won't work well and can be dangerous for fish when it stays in the tank and gets in their gills. 

• Like 1
Simulated Fish

I used GFO in my 8g and still use it on my 45g.

On the 8g I just mixed the gfo with carbon and used a Media basket. You can get a tiny reactor, but if you already have a spot for a filter bag I'd recommend using the carbon/GFO mix.

I use the BRS mini reactor in my 45 but still use 2/3cup carbon and 1/4ish cup GFO and mix it. It is important that the media doesn't tumble when mixed. I change it out about once a month with great success. 

Phosguard works well. Just add it to a media bag with carbon or on its own.

These products are all very potent so you don't need large quantities of it or it will strip the tank

ReefSafeSolutions

The only number I've ever seen referenced regarding lowering phosphates is on PhosphateRX, to the tune of 0.5ppm per day.  The melev's reef video said something about going more than that and not having issue...definitely worth a watch.

That video also claims that a filter sock will remove the phosphate solids quicker than a skimmer.  I don't have a skimmer, my filter sponges removed everything pretty quickly...didn't even use a filter sock.  My fish have been fine.  Definitely will continue using this stuff every month or so to keep my phosphates down.

• Like 2

I saw Melev's video, it was very good, but please note when he talks about rapidly lowering phosphates, he's talking about his experience in his tank, and only doing it with PhosphateRX. There are dozens, if not hundreds of reports of people damaging or killing their corals overnight with too much gfo or Phosguard. Ask me how I know :(

Also the filter sock he talks about is a new 10 micron sock that Blue Life sells to filter out the precipitate in just a few hours. Then you replace it with a regular 200 micron sock (which also works, it just takes overnight). Personally I would not trust just a sponge filter with no skimmer but it probably depends on how fine the sponge is. 

fishfreak0114

^yes definitely be careful about lower phosphates too quickly.  I once used too much phosguard and wow my corals were pissed!  For several days nothing would fully open.

duncan-junkie

I've used Phosphate RX with great results in dropping phosphates, the only problem I had was with my clam....which died shortly after.  So if you have a clam, I would be very cautious about using Phosphate RX.  I know of one other person that had their clam die after using the product.....this might just be coincidence or not, just putting it out there.

• Like 2
burtbollinger
2 hours ago, ReefSafeSolutions said:

To the OP...have you measured your phosphates?  Are you having an algae problem?

bingo.  don't do things just to do them.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...