Coral Vue Hydros

Seahorse Illness Advice

Julia Pinkdog

Julia Pinkdog

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post as I'm new to the forum, so please let me know if it is not and I will remove it.

About 3 weeks ago I started my first seahorse tank, purchasing two H. Erectus seahorses (male and female) from a local fish store who gets their seahorses from the Southwatch Seahorse Farm. My father, who has experience with freshwater and saltwater tanks (but not with seahorses), helped me set up the tank over the last few months, and has helped me monitor the biological conditions of the tank. Since the seahorses arrived, they have been doing very well, eating a lot, dancing around with each other, and not showing any signs of stress. But two days ago, my female seahorse started to shake/flinch every few minutes, itch herself with her tail, and stopped eating. My male seahorse soon after also started to shake and stopped eating. I checked the water again to make sure that there hadn't been a spike in ammonia, or anything else that could be harming them, but everything seemed fine. Yesterday, after doing a lot of research, I decided to try to do a freshwater dip to see if there perhaps is a parasite problem. After a minute of being in the dip, both of them started to thrash around, which I read means that they could potentially have a parasite problem, so last night I started putting in a anti parasite medication.

This morning I was relieved to see that both of them were swimming around quite a lot, but after a while, the female swam down to the bottom of the tank, and was just sitting upright without hitching on anything. I put a tiny bit of shrimp into their feeding dish to see if they were interested, but so far neither of them have eaten. I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on how I can further help my seahorses, as I really don't know what I can do, especially if they won't eat. I know that any medicine will take time to have an effect, but I'm just really worried about them, and just wish I knew if it is even a parasite problem or not.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated, and thank you for reading!

- Julia

Dawn (AKA VLangel) has Ponies and cares quite well for them.

Here is a link to her Pony thread.  Shoot her a PM.  Be aware though, she is on a trip this week :(

Archived