SaltCritters.com

Toadstool vs SPS

SaltyBuddha

SaltyBuddha

Starting up my first SW tank and I'm thinking of corals I want. I'm not too interested in many SPS corals yet, but I do want a montipora or two in the future. I do like toadstools when they get larger, but have heard they can inhibit SPS growth due to some toxins they produce. Are toadstools constantly producing this toxin or only in less favorable conditions? If I have to choose, it would be the cap. But if there's a way to have them both I would love to hear some success stories.

I have 3 Toadstools and they kill pretty much any SPS I try. Many sofies put out a natural slime coat and triple it when they shed their outer layer. I know if I ran carbon it filters out most of it and the SPS can do OK, but IMO.....pick one or the other.

SaltyBuddha
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

I have 3 Toadstools and they kill pretty much any SPS I try. Many sofies put out a natural slime coat and triple it when they shed their outer layer. I know if I ran carbon it filters out most of it and the SPS can do OK, but IMO.....pick one or the other.

Didn't know they just shed it like that. So all soft corals do it, but I've only seen people talk about issues when they have toadstools. Do they produce more of the toxin than other softies then?

It is not all soft corals, but may of them and yes toalstools are one of the worst ones. (with the yellow fiji likely ranked the highest)

Zoas, Cespitularia, and Gorgonians (photosynthetic)  are all good easy coral that will do well with SPS.

Lol. I have a toasatool with birdsnest, pocillopora, and auperman monti. I have had no issues with them.

Running carbon aids in removal of toxins.

SaltyBuddha
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Lol. I have a toasatool with birdsnest, pocillopora, and auperman monti. I have had no issues with them.

Running carbon aids in removal of toxins.

Nice! I'll be using Renew. Not going to use anything else unless the tank needs it in the future. Think I'm going to start with a toadstool at first and try a monti later on to see if it works

I only used carbon and filter floss in all my tanks until recently. I have added phosguard now.

I always suggest using whats needed when needed.

I love toadstools.

Sps are beautiful but I'd never do them again because they are too finicky imo and there are tons of lps that are just as beautiful if not more so to me. 

The superman monti i have has grown quite a bit in only a few months, my birdsnest as well. 

I find stylophora and pocillopora very slow growing and fussy. Lol. 

Acropora are a whole other story.

SaltyBuddha

Yeah I've seen some awesome looking toadstools. They look great when the get bigger and open up. So many kinds of montis out there. If I can find a rainbow monti I would definitely give it a go. 

Archived