Top Shelf Aquatics

New to Nano reefin'

smac0806

Hi all! So I finally have my first nano reef up and running (pictures to come soon).  I purchased it through a crowd funding campaign on indiegogo and I am super happy with it. It was created by Biota aquariums.

Specs: 13.5 gal glass tank, 16W/1383 lumens LED, 500GPH pump, fluval heater, carbon filter and biomax media (protein skimmer being added shortly), Eheim auto feeder

Stock: 8lb man made live rock, 1.5" live sand, 2 captive bred black and white Ocellaris, 1 captive bred Rainford goby, 2 mushroom/leather/toadstools, various zoanthids, 1 pulsing xenia (all aquacultured).

All livestock was added yesterday and everyone seems to be happy. The xenia is pulsing and mushrooms waving their polyps (except the one I moved today, but he's poking em back out) . Zoas are open and the goby has made his self a happy home under the rock in the sand.

A little background, I had a 150gal reef tank for about 7 years. It was my first salt tank and I loved every bit of keeping it. Eventually after a crash from old tank syndrome and divorce, the tank is no more. I have been unable to start a new one of similar size (space and time) so decided on the nano reef.  I'm struggling a bit with a few things though.  This tank was designed to accommodate exactly what I currently have. I'm not looking to add anything more to it except...I don't have a "clean up" crew! I'm so used to little crabs, shrimp or snails wandering around that I'm already worried about the little bits of food I see that weren't eaten yesterday. Also, the food that is supplied (sustainable sourced mysis shrimp pellets) is instructed to be fed twice a day. (A teeny tiny little scoop that I have been able to adjust my auto feeder to give the same amount). Through all the e-research I've done, most agree that nanos should be fed once a day or every other day. I'm inclined to agree but don't want the fishes to go hungry. In a larger tank, twice a day feedings were the norm. 

Is there anyone that could give me some insight/reassurance? haha. I would appreciate it. :)

Edited to add: There are also aiptasia hitchikers on one of the toadstools and with the zoas...I HATE aiptasia and worry they will take over this tiny tank. 

• Like 1

:welcome:

It it sounds like you are well on your way!  Just feed them what you feel comfortable.... some people feed a few times a day, some people feed a few times a week......I would just watch and see what your fish can handle.  Since you do not have much of a clean up crew, just go slow. 

Also need pics! lol

• Like 1

Great start, I have the same setup.  Nice clowns!  Concerning the aptasia, I just pull the rock and put some super glue gel on top of them.  Usually solves that problem before it gets out of hand.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Great start, I have the same setup.  Nice clowns!  Concerning the aptasia, I just pull the rock and put some super glue gel on top of them.  Usually solves that problem before it gets out of hand.

The same Biota one? I love it. It's super simple to set up. One of my hesitancy with starting another large tank was I never set up the plumbing/sump. Someone else did that for me and showed me how to maintain it. I shine at the creature care. Hmm I never thought to use super glue.  I've tried the hot water/kawasser (I think that's what it was) injection but that was a pain and didn't really work. I'll give it a try. Two are on rocks so that will be fine but the other is right in the mix with the zoas....I might end up taking a few of those out with the glue too. How long do I let the glue sit before I can put them back in the water?

Not long at all.  I usually take the rock over to a sink and have some salt water in cup nearby.  I just put enough super glue gel to cover the aptasia, let it sit for a sec and then rinse a bit before I put it back in.  I just recently did a frag of zoas that had one right in the middle of it.  I think the trick is to put the frag in a container with tank water and get the zoas to close up.  Then I apply the super glue gel and put them back in the container for a minute before I put them back in the tank.  I found as long as I do not get any of the gel on the mouth of the zoa, they are fine even if i get some of the gel on the sides of em'.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

:welcome: to nano-reef!  A few hermits or omnivore/carnivore snails could definitely help with the leftover food. I can't imagine a tank without at least a couple crawling/gliding around, I like watching them!  If superglue doesn't work for the aiptasia, lots of people use aiptasia X with good results (though I've never used it myself). 

• Like 3
msparklym13

HI and welcome! ARGH I HATE aiptasia.  I had an outbreak a few months ago and picked up some peppermints who took care of it.  I am personally not a fan and pulled them after they got it under control.  I use Aiptasia X with success (currently ordering on Amazon now).  Aiptasia is a bastard though and I am hoping it doesn't take over again. After overfeeding for a long time I am a huge fan of feeding minimally.  I switch out foods each day but only give a "good feed" 2-3 times a week.  I would also recommend a small CUC. Like fishfreak said they liven up the tank and definitely take care of the unwanted debris!

Congrats on the new tank :-)

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm going to give the super glue gel a shot since there are only 4...for now. If that doesn't work I will look into the aiptasia x. I appreciate the help. :)

5 hours ago, Minmay said:

Cool looking tank!! It looks like Fluval Evo 13.5 I have that tank. Welcome to the forum! ?

Thank you! It is, good eye. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Evodad said:

The tank looks great! Do you think it could use some more live rock?

Thank you! Yes I do! That's currently 8-10 lbs of live rock and I definitely will be adding more. I've been researching potential new coral members for the future and planning out the aquascaping for it. Now I just need to find the right piece of rock haha. Will probably go with a piece of dry instead of live. Less $ and it will eventually be populated from the other rock. 

10lbs is enough rock for a 13.5g. You don't need to add more but if you do ho with dry rock or caribsea life rock, liverock may spike a mini cycle if theres any die off.

• Like 2

Does the color on the bottom toadstool look ok? It seems a little light to me. It's been that color since I got it. All polyps are out and happy looking.

I moved the top one to the sand right after I took this picture. I'm pretty sure the indent was from fragging but it seemed to start getting a little blotchy and the polyps didn't really extend from that side (right). All the other polyps also seemed to extend out away from the flow so I thought even though it wasn't high flow that maybe the flow was too much for its liking. I'll see how he likes it the next couple of days. 

IMG_0968.thumb.JPG.571d5dec064fc44d22f2ada01612c10c.JPG

• 5 months later...

Looks like a fun start (minus the aptasia - I always seem to have a few pop up as well)! Your clowns are beautiful :)

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think your toadstool is ok, there are many many color variations of that coral... 

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 8:56 AM, alexz said:

Hi - you have a beautiful tank. How is reefing going? I just purchased a Fluval Evo 13.5g too. Could you please tell me the make and model of the 500gph pump you have? 

HI Alexz! Thank you! Things are going awesome! I'll have to update soon with new pics. It is a Fluval WP1500. It's 400gph (typo in original post). Best of luck! Love to see pics when it's up and running. 

On 9/17/2017 at 9:21 AM, hinnenkm said:

Looks like a fun start (minus the aptasia - I always seem to have a few pop up as well)! Your clowns are beautiful :)

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think your toadstool is ok, there are many many color variations of that coral... 

Have fun!

Thank you! They are just amazing! I'm inclined to say you're right about the toadstool. It's been about 7 months now. It's still a gorgeous blush pink and double in size with super long polyps and a large mushroom top. I'm not a toadstool whisper but if it could tell me, I'm sure it would say it's super happy. :) 

• Like 2