Innovative Marine Aquariums

cycling with live sand and rocks

Milky Way

It's  been 2 weeks now since i started cycling my nano 12 gall tank.

I have aragonite live sand. it came in with water inside of the package. it said on the package :  "contains live marina bacteria"

Its been 2 weeks now ammonia , nitrate, nitrite are 0.

Do i need to throw shrimp in my tank? or can i start adding some livestock?????

Please give me advice. 

71fIo1n6QPL._SL1000_.jpg

8G0YO9B184Q.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Did you ever see any ammonia or nitrite at all?

i haven't at all

Did you ever see any ammonia or nitrite at all?

no algae bloom .......... nothing 

Sounds like time to toss a shrimp in. 

You need to have some source of ammonia so that you can get a large enough colony of nitrifying bacteria to be able to break down tank waste. 

You need to have some source of ammonia so that you can get a large enough colony of nitrifying bacteria to be able to break down tank waste. 

I've just added a shrimp in my tank. Lets see what happens)))

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

i love you Weetabix7. You are the only one who always reply on my posts 

Simulated Fish

I agree time to add a ammonia source and start testing over the next few days/ hours to confirm that it is getting converted. 

Personally I would go with artificial over a shrimp just to cut the time factor down ( waiting for the shrimp to break up and get eaten by the bacteria).

@Milky Way you have your test kits on hand? Assuming you do since you verified your levels are at 0. Now that the shrimp is in try test your parameters everyday and record them. Please feel free to post up your results here so we can look at it and let you know where the cycle stands.

Also, +1 on @Weetabix7 being awesome!B)

Did you use liverock or dry reef rock?

If dry reef rock, you need to add ammonia source and the cleanest and best is ammonia dosing.

The shrimp will work but slowly and it will cause high nutrients in the tank.

49 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Did you use liverock or dry reef rock?

If dry reef rock, you need to add ammonia source and the cleanest and best is ammonia dosing.

The shrimp will work but slowly and it will cause high nutrients in the tank.

i used live rocks

If you use straight ammonia, make sure to get one that doesn't have added surfactants. 

Not positive, but I think I've heard that Ace carries a good one. 

12 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Are they "Real Reef Rocks"?

i believe so. Im not sure where it came from but the guy from LFS said its real and its been live and cycled. he said that they have just received that stock

25 minutes ago, Milky Way said:

i believe so. Im not sure where it came from but the guy from LFS said its real and its been live and cycled. he said that they have just received that stock

I'd try dosing ammonium chloride instead of using a shrimp. Shrimp is a good option but dosing ammonia precisely is better in my opinion. If the rock you have is http://realreefrock.com (from the picure it appears this is the case, but I could be wrong.) then it's possible the cycle will be quite mild. What kind of test kit are you using?

7 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

I'd try dosing ammonium chloride instead of using a shrimp. Shrimp is a good option but dosing ammonia precisely is better in my opinion. If the rock you have is http://realreefrock.com (from the picure it appears this is the case, but I could be wrong.) then it's possible the cycle will be quite mild. What kind of test kit are you using?

I'm using API salt water test kit. I have this kit for more than a year. The expiration date is 2018.

37 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

that shows clues to tell if rock is live and if it is, you just start. Lfs guy has confirmed too. We see those rocks a lot, they're ready 

the sole takeaway from that link is how group b rock = begin 

The next move for your tanks is a clump of zoanthids.

thank you very much !!! very informative!!!!! Now I'm more confused 

your rock is group B from the thread, and there are likely already tiny pods in the tank that ride in on group B rock

The next thread I posted is a RRR thread for direct comparison to yours 

2 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

Yep lol

it takes six pages to simply discern which group of rocks gets ammonia and which do not, and there's only three sets we work with in reefing :)

your rock is group B and there are likely already tiny pods in the tank that ride in on group B rock 

so with group B do you need to add shrimp or liquid ammonia or not? i researched online and still confused because ppl say different things 

You are fine with the shrimp @Milky Way. Let it run its course and just test your water, no need to be confused lol. Everyone has a different way of cycling their tank and what they think is the best approach.

I used premium live rock and live sand, and I never had a cycle. I used Brandon429 advise and my tank has ran perfect for over a month now. 

We don't think anyone should rush fish purchases or plumbing/temp verification etc

but for the realm of cycling Milky Way you are past that stage and onto the next, that's a simple way to see it. You are at the choose your first coral stage.

the second link I posted is literally a real reef rock setup just like yours. Your tank will run like his did

he has new corals as of now, little animals stuck to the glass etc

from the second link consider the ratio of posters saying to hit the tank with ammonia. there isn't any setup where posters recommend not spiking with ammonia yet half the cycles being  done on forums are the kind we do not add ammonia to...

its a never ending cycle pun intended lol

put down the ammonia, go buy some ten dollar zoanthids and install/enjoy

ammonia is for dry rock cycling, toughest concept for new keepers in tank cycling threads. your rock was wet from a long time ago and ill bet theres little critters to prove it if we check in fine detail for pods in the tank

Archived