Coral Vue Hydros

Kessil A80 40 Breeder

dankdartfish

dankdartfish

Hey! I'm about to set up my first reef tank and have decided on a 40 breeder. After looking through different lighting options I really like Kessil. I was wondering if two Kessil A80 Tuna Blue hung over the 40 breeder would be enough coverage for a mixed reef. Thanks!

I suspect most people would say No. 

What kind of corals are you wanting to keep in this?

It makes a difference. 

dankdartfish

What if I do 3 A80 over the whole tank. It is still cheaper ($390) than most other leds. Would all three kessils be strong enough for SPS?

You might find this thread helpful in making a decision: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/381388-keeping-sps-under-kessil-a80/

Keep the dimensions of the tank in mind, both the dimensions of the tank you want to set up and the dimensions of the tanks that people on that thread who are commenting on the light. 

Especially pay attention to the depth of the tank and to how high they are saying they have the lights over the water surface, as well as the strength they are running the lights at. 

I also saw this post for a great used LED fixture from a long-time reliable member: 

jedimasterben

I would stress that you would need double (or more) what you're planning. The A80 is not a strong light and does not cover a large area. Expect it to cover a 12" area at less than 12-14" over the bottom of the tank. A 40 breeder is 16" tall, which puts your light a few inches above that, and you're asking a lot of a 15 watt light.

I'll echo other's concern here. A80 will be underpower for 40G tank. Infact it might be under power for even 12G+ , if you consider SPS. Go with at-least A160W , if you want mixed reef, or A360 if you are aiming for SPS that require high PAR. I use A360 on my Biocube 29. A160 is recommended for 14G, its not even super safe option for 29G. Just my two cents,

Archived