Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hands-on with Innovative Marine's APS stands for Nuvo Aquariums

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

So I got something kinda cool on Saturday....

33536289282_d26a7acac1_k.jpg

I got the opportunity to receive the Innovative Marine Peninsula 14g system due to something pretty cool coming up that I can't talk about right now, and after some convincing of my wife, it was on its way (full disclosure - it may or may not have been on its way before talking to the wife ;)). IM said that they likely wouldn't receive their new aluminum extruded stands in time to be able to send one (though they didn't hesitate to tease me with photos of its sexiness!); but sure enough, when I got the shipping notice it did mention the stand, and when it arrived it was in a MASSIVE box. Lo and behold, there was not only the tank, but the stand! Awww yiss.

980x.jpg

IM had mentioned that the guys from Marine Depot were able to put the stand together without any instructions, so I was determined to do the same, but to the shame of my inner 8 year old Lego master ben, I dumbed it up and had to peek once :D

The stand is a super light aluminum extrusion that is coated to look like wood grain, and the quality of the finish is awesome. I've seen similar finishing before, but never on metal.

33610250116_382e94a3f6_k.jpg

The locking mechanism is built into the extrusion and is incredibly straightforward - simply twist the locking screw using the included torx driver for a half turn and the joint is locked in place. There is even a little mark on each screw to let you know if it is fully opened or closed. Little clips open up and grab the adjacent extrusion, pulling it extremely tightly.

Closed.

33651107585_22716e16b8_k.jpg

Opened.

33651116015_96d3e4aa6d_k.jpg

33651149375_d6e4a262b0_k.jpg

The instructions are clear and there are very few pieces required for assembly (eleven, counting the top and bottom plates), so expect it to take you about 15 minutes to assemble once everything is removed from its packaging (which was also great - everything individually wrapped several times in plastic wrap to prevent any damage to the finish).

32808883614_fde3b37c31_k.jpg

33651475275_a287bfaca3_k.jpg

All in all, the stand looks fantastic, is very light (the tank is quite a bit heavier empty than the stand), and assembly is a piece of cake. I look forward to getting this tank wet, stay tuned for more info on that! ;)

• Like 11
MainelyReefer

Atleast now when they charge an arm and a leg for a stand it won't be some particle board junk or something you could build at lowes for 50$. Looks great

• Like 4
jedimasterben
8 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Atleast now when they charge an arm and a leg for a stand it won't be some particle board junk or something you could build at lowes for 50$. Looks great

Exactly. And IM doesn't have any pricing yet, but say it will be comparable to what is currently available on the market. Just looking on Marine Depot's website, I'm seeing something like $150-250 for competitor's stands and their own, so I am thinking it will be somewhere in that range.

6 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

High tech low nutrient acro tank? ?

You wish! Too much work :P

5 hours ago, Mariaface said:

See, I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of my desk.

Dooo itttttt

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

Exactly. And IM doesn't have any pricing yet, but say it will be comparable to what is currently available on the market. Just looking on Marine Depot's website, I'm seeing something like $150-250 for competitor's stands and their own, so I am thinking it will be somewhere in that range.

Really? I was hoping it would be cheaper their usual stands. I really dislike having to pay as much or more for the stand as for the aquarium itself.

• Like 1

do they have options for doors do you know? It would suck for those of us with kids and 4 legged non-aquatic pets if they didnt.  I need to lock that isht up.

• Like 4

Yeah, they do have door panels you can put in. If you look at the Reefbuilders sneak peek article or their global pet expo video (I think it was the day two one) you can see them with the doors and panels and stuff. 

jedimasterben
1 hour ago, JLynn said:

Really? I was hoping it would be cheaper their usual stands. I really dislike having to pay as much or more for the stand as for the aquarium itself.

It's still possible it might be cheaper, but we'll all have to wait and see :(

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

do they have options for doors do you know? It would suck for those of us with kids and 4 legged non-aquatic pets if they didnt.  I need to lock that isht up.

AFAIK, for the 14g and 20g tank, they will not come with any. I don't know if they will be an optional upgrade or not. 

12 minutes ago, JLynn said:

Yeah, they do have door panels you can put in. If you look at the Reefbuilders sneak peek article or their global pet expo video (I think it was the day two one) you can see them with the doors and panels and stuff. 

Yes, the larger ones come with panels, but not the smaller ones.

• Like 2

What are the dimensions of the top? curious if any standard tanks will fit their sizes, pretty nice looking stands as long as they arent hella expensive.

jedimasterben
On 3/29/2017 at 1:10 PM, metrokat said:

What are you planning to do inside the stand?

Fart. But until I start that, it makes an excellent cat holder.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, Arce said:

What are the dimensions of the top? curious if any standard tanks will fit their sizes, pretty nice looking stands as long as they arent hella expensive.

They fit the IM tanks exactly. This one is 20"x12", but you would need a tank at least that the rim would hit the frame.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:29 PM, Mariaface said:

Also, how soon is this mysterious matte black version coming out? I need this. For reasons.

No clue. IM hasn't given a date on either color yet.

Oh myyy.

33821707006_97db77945f_h.jpg

33709603892_ca52ae5cbc_h.jpg

• Like 7
jedimasterben
On 4/5/2017 at 10:31 PM, fishhands said:

Its wet!

That's what he said! :D

19 hours ago, Hexadron said:

Wow, sweet setup!

/following

Thanks! Though this won't actually be the tank journal, I haven't officially started that yet. :) 

16 hours ago, spectra said:

What light are you running over it ?

Looks good Buzzkill!

In the pic it's just an old Coral Compulsion 40w PAR38. A little on the purple side (especially in photos) but a damned good light. Just temporary, though, will have some more on the actual light choice soon ;)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...