SaltCritters.com

Al prime or ?

Nano345

Just bought a 60 gallon rimless cube setup with metal halide.  the guy recommended the Al prime for 200 plus the bracket for mounting.  Reviews seem iffy, and was wondering what you guys think?  Should I stick with it?

I do have coral in the tank, just concern if light will reach that depth.

That seems out of budget at this time.  Running at 440 was hoping to stay under 350.00  as I just dropped 2800 on the saltwater setup

machonachos

Damn $2800! Well light is one of the most important elements.  Definitely wouldn't skimp if keeping corals.  Try to work out a deal with this guy.  Its actually might be worthwhile because you might need the spread of 2 primes

Well the light that comes with the setup is a metal halide which is plenty however I am wondering about asking to take back the Al prime and switching to the Hydra 26 HD

2800 Basically included:

60 gallon cube rimless
Wavemaker
Metal Halide
Sump under stand
Stand
Live rock and sand
Livestock (4 fish, 2 shrimp, sea urchin, coral, purple mushroom, feather duster worm few others I cant remember)
Installation of tank and everything setup
Al Prime w bracket
Fish food including frozen
some liquid supplements.

Yea I def dont want to skimp out.  I really didnt want to spend this much walking into the hobby.  However I felt like the fact the tank is already cycled and will be setup by a professional I can avoid the risk of having the tank crash on me. He has had this tank showcased in the store for awhile.  SO it has def had time to establish itself.

machonachos

Ah got ya.  You bought a fully established setup.  So does the 2800 include the prime?  if trade in for hydra how much more is he asking?

I purchased this at the store, so he is going to deliver tomorrow I am hoping he has the hydra 26 and should only be 350 so I would only have to pay the difference.  Not that big of deal since the lights still in the box.  I have read people getting by with the Al Prime but I think the hydra 26 be a better option.

machonachos

Well if budgets the concern I'd say just go Prime and save yourself the $150.  Prime should handle the 24x24x24 cube according to ai and you got the halides.  Plus that's what ran in the display at the store, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hopefully more can chime in and help you out before tomorrow

Metal Halide doesnt give the vibrant look the corals get under led full spectrum.

I agree,  I hope others can chime in I have already been reading up on making sure I have what I need for a "beginner" in saltwater setups.  Thinking of getting an apex controller to help keep things lined up down the road.  For now I am intending on selling the Metal halide and have him set up the new light that way I dont run into any algae growth due to me not having the right cycle on or not enough light or the opposite.  Thanks again for your input.

Thanks!  Yes I sure am I kinda got lightheaded and question my sanity, but I know if I take care of the tank and setup that it will pay off  in long run.  Thanks again for the input!  Miguel , the guy at the store, was very nice and forthcoming with info.  He wasnt trying to sell me something just to sell.  He took in consideration that I was new into the hobby and directed me on what corals to start off with and what to avoid.

It depends on what you're going to keep in that tank.  I wouldn't do an AI prime as a solo light for that tank.  I have a custom 60g rimless cube myself and I use a single XR15W Pro G4.  The spread on it is absolutely amazing and so is the par.  It's a bit higher than what you appear you want to spend but honestly a few extra bucks on what is probably one of your most important pieces of equipment is your best bet. 

I read that the Al Prime can get you by, but I figured I have better success lighting with better PAR rating.  I am new to saltwater and brighter doesnt neccesarily mean better but just like you said depends on what you keep in the tank.

I am going to keep a variety of coral, already purchased some from the guy.  

I thought about doing MH and Al Prime but MH already creating enough heat as it is.  I think the Hydra 26 will be an excellent choice.. Granted the XR15W Pro G is only  60 MORE but it adds up.

shaneandjohn

I own both the Hydra26 and the Prime. I would strongly recommend the Hydra, however, the Prime will work as well. Both are excellent fixtures, but having 2 pucks really helps eliminate shadows. ? 

Thanks this topic has been answered and I went with the Hydra26 and really loving it!  I do not have it at 100% since the fish and livestock were under a metal halide lamp

Here is the journal I started to keep track of my progess in this new journey in saltwater.

Thank you everyone for the input and I really do mean it. I am very satisfied with the Hydra26 lighting and the ramping process.. Very easy setup 

Archived