Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube light cover hazing

Toomanyfish

Toomanyfish

My bc29 light cover ( plastic ) is starting to become hazy after I installed the retro kit. Is there a solution to this ?

Toomanyfish
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

Does it wipe off?

It's literally the plastic, no salt creep or splashes. I've taken the plastic off and cleaned inside and out with no effect.  

54 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

May be try the stuff they sell to remove the haze from car headlights?

I'll give it a shot and see what happens 

4 hours ago, Toomanyfish said:

My bc29 light cover ( plastic ) is starting to become hazy after I installed the retro kit. Is there a solution to this ?

The first I've heard of this ever. How close do you have the leds to the guard? 

10 hours ago, Toomanyfish said:

They're at the stock position of the reflector. 

Honestly not sure. There are a ton of these out in the wild and first I have heard of this. 

Do you use any type of spray on the cover? 

Which Biocube version...  Coralife or Oceanic?  The problem with the splash shields are that they're polycarbonate plastic which will haze and yellow over time.  Mine did, and that was using the stock CFLs, well before adding my Nanobox Retro LEDs.  I used UV resistant acrylic sheet to build a replacement splash shield.

Here is someone's fix with the Coralife version.

And here is jcreefer's and my fix for the Oceanic version.

Toomanyfish

Thanks for the tip. One of my club members actually told me to cut out the plastic and leave 1" or so around the edge and screw some acrylic to it so I could still seal it in the stock location 

Archived