Coral Vue Hydros

No2 high

Asal

Hi everyone 

Im just have alittle experience in marine aquarium.  And im start a new aquarium before 3 months but I do a mistake that was before the cycle complete I added 3 fishes and from that time till now I have a problem with no2 it's arround 2 ppm others are OK nh3-nh4  are 0 and no3 arround 25ppm so I do a 40%water change before one week but it's still high then today again water change but the same no2 high, the good is that all fishes are alive could any one help me to solve it or it will never solved untill I start new water and wait till the cycle finish?  

CharlesFoxtrot

Let me try to clarify. You have a 3 month old tank with 3 fish in it. Your ammonia (NH3/NH4) is 0 (that's good), but nitrites (NO2) are around 2 ppm and that has you concerned. Your nitrates (NO3) were 25 ppm, then you changed the water about a week ago to get them down. 

So. You have nitrates being produced, which means nitrite is being metabolized. Apparently just not fast enough to keep it at 0. Sounds like you may have added your fish before the cycle was finished.

I would recommend you do frequent water changes (like daily) to keep the nitrite down so it doesn't kill your fish. Normally you wouldn't change water during a cycle, but normally you wouldn't have fish in there during a cycle either. Hopefully your cycle will establish itself fully before the nitrite kills your fish. Keep testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. As long as the nitrate continues to increase after each water change, that's a fairly good sign. 

If anyone has a better idea, please chime in. 

Oh, and can you move this thread over to beginner's discussion, please, @Christopher Marks?

Archived