Pod Your Reef

Multiple corals died/damaged overnight

BearsHawksSoxBulls

BearsHawksSoxBulls
7 hours ago, aviator300 said:

Did you happen to use a new mixing bucket or other equipt just before this happened. Something similar to this happened to me a year ago and I traced the problem to a residue of mold releasing fluid left in the new bucket after production.

Nope. Seems so far that is was the peppermint after researching other people's experiences. Thankfully the frogspawn looks back to normal and the damaged acan is getting there. Sadly the hammer doesn't seem to have any polyps remaining, but hopefully there is just a tiny bit of tissue left so it can revive itself. Probably gonna try a revival dip in some of that lugens. Would be really bummed about that one. Only had it for 3 days before it got hurt. It's a really cool vertical structure with multiple openings. Polyps were still very tiny, though. 

Obviously if I continue to have problems it's something other than the pep, but like I said corals are looking much better. The peppermint was always out at night and his usual hangouts were by those three different areas anyways.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'd rather use Aiptasia x and not loose $60 + in corals.

I lost 3 brains to 2 peppermints and they didn't touch the aips 

Yep, I had read some negatives about peps before we purchased one. Got one anyway, a really tiny guy that had a lot personality. He would clean our hands more willingly than our skunk, though our skunk is more adventurous and is always out. Sadly he went from a Cadillac of a tank to a little unused QT with three PVC pipes in it. Gonna go get some live rock for him and probably some live sand.

If I ever have an aiptasia problem peps certainly won't be in my plan, either.

Anyways, I'm still in college, but in a few years when I have my own place my tank will be a FOWLR. Corals are pretty but they break the bank and are sensitive. Maybe one day I'd set up a small reef, but my dream tank is still gonna be the FOWLR.

19 hours ago, BearsHawksSoxBulls said:

Nope. Seems so far that is was the peppermint after researching other people's experiences. Thankfully the frogspawn looks back to normal and the damaged acan is getting there. Sadly the hammer doesn't seem to have any polyps remaining, but hopefully there is just a tiny bit of tissue left so it can revive itself. Probably gonna try a revival dip in some of that lugens. Would be really bummed about that one. Only had it for 3 days before it got hurt. It's a really cool vertical structure with multiple openings. Polyps were still very tiny, though. 

Obviously if I continue to have problems it's something other than the pep, but like I said corals are looking much better. The peppermint was always out at night and his usual hangouts were by those three different areas anyways.

Yep, I had read some negatives about peps before we purchased one. Got one anyway, a really tiny guy that had a lot personality. He would clean our hands more willingly than our skunk, though our skunk is more adventurous and is always out. Sadly he went from a Cadillac of a tank to a little unused QT with three PVC pipes in it. Gonna go get some live rock for him and probably some live sand.

If I ever have an aiptasia problem peps certainly won't be in my plan, either.

Anyways, I'm still in college, but in a few years when I have my own place my tank will be a FOWLR. Corals are pretty but they break the bank and are sensitive. Maybe one day I'd set up a small reef, but my dream tank is still gonna be the FOWLR.

YOU SAID  "If I ever have an aiptasia problem peps certainly won't be in my plan, either".

Go ahead and try Aptasia X or one of the other solutions available. You don't find much success using these in real life. My PEP is the star of my tank. I put him in a month ago and he ate all 9 of the Aptasia I had overnight. He has not touched any corals at all for 2 reasons. one is that I feed him shrimp pellets which he loves but the main reason is that you have to TRAIN them not to eat your corals which takes some skill that newer reefers haven't gained yet.

kickstartbuddy

When you guys do water changes do you add instant ocean salt every time?

I picked up a mass spectrometer and my salinity is ok 1.025

Got my Master Reef test kit and Saltwater test kits. Not sure how accurate these are but it showed me to have a high Ka (magnesium) and everything else is good. I wonder if the Magnesium is high because of the shells I had in there. I lost a hermit crab over this past week But two others seem to be doing well. I had a brown algae bloom going on butit has mostly resided. Now there is some long haired greenish moss growing in the less turbid areas.

Trying to get the tank ready for corals and critters.

It my 1st salt tank, 70 Gal live rock and live sand in it for a month now

Archived