SaltCritters.com

ID hitchhiker crab

boyscoutrickybobby

Pinner Reef

Hmm... still can't tell from the pics. As a rule of thumb when it comes to HH crabs look at the tips of their claws. If the tips are sharp and pointy they're adapted to rip and tear flesh and the crab should not be trusted. If they're blunted or flattened the claws are usually used for foraging algae and can be trusted more readily. The fact that yours is hanging out near the coral all the time is a red flag as well. Watch the coral colonies it likes the best. If the coral will not open or looks stressed in any way blame the crab first.

RayWhisperer

I ain't never seen no crab with those markings. Any chance you have a sump to put it in? That just seems like such a unique animal, it'd be a shame to just kill it.

beyond that, I'd agree with the pinner.

boyscoutrickybobby

Yeah he has sharp pointy claws, just got a pepermint shrimp and he disappeared after two days he may be the culprit. Hewill be put in the sump, any ideas on how to get him out, when I walk near the tank he crawls further into the zoanthid rock instantly.

Pinner Reef

The best crab trap trick I know is to put piece of food into a glass and tilt it towards the crab's burrow. The crab crawls in and slides to the bottom as they cannot grip the glass.

Good luck :)

boyscoutrickybobby

I managed to get him out slowly with a toothpick he is now living in the sump until I figure out what he is.

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

Pinner Reef

Huh, Dunno what that one is... I'll let someone else try the ID. Until then; keep it in the sump just to be safe.

Archived