ReefCleaners.org

Is this a sea star?

Soneca-II

Hi,

I don't place anything in my tank since Christmas but yesterday i have found a new critter. The tank is not yet a year old.

Is it a sea star and is it safe? Since yesterday i saw it in different places but always far from the few corals i have.

Sorry for the pic but it's really tiny, maybe just over 1cm diameter.

BR

IMG_0264.JPG

MainelyReefer

Asterina star fish, pretty common hitchhiker and most of the time are reported to be reef safe, both of my tanks have them with zero negative impact so far but a few people have run into a variant of the species that isn't reef safe from my research.  Some tanks also seem to grow these to a population that is undesirable but I have yet to experience that 1 1/2 years in.  I say keep it they are interesting and if they reach plague proportions there are cool shrimp who would eat them 

Great news :).

Many thanks for the feedback. I will keep it. I just wonder how did i missed it all this months :).

I think they're fantastic additions to the tank. In my experience they usually come out more at night and clean the glass. During the day they usually stay pretty camouflaged on the rocks or they hide just under the rim of a tank. 

Archived