Cultivated Reef

Keeping SPS under Kessil A80

HighCurrent

HighCurrent
4 hours ago, reefist said:

@HighCurrent why change anything? Your tank looks fantastic. Just keep doing whatever you are doing, who cares about a little PE?

I really appreciate the kind words! I was concerned because I had great PE for weeks and then all of the sudden it was just gone! I figured out that my yellow clown goby was the culprit.

The very next day i had twice as much extension than the day before. It is still not back 100% but its maybe 70-80%. I at least know my acropora are eating again : )

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Reefaddiction

@HighCurrent

I'm new to the forum and thought this was very helpful. I have a 14g biocube with a few mods and I too am running the kessil A80 over it. I love the kessil shimmer and the design looks great for nanos in my opinion. I was surprised to see that you run your lights at 100% intensity for quite some time. I thought this would cook my corals to a crisp so I've been running it at a much lower intensity closer to 40-50%. But in doing so I've noticed my corals losing color and that "pop" look and some have browned which I think is related to excess zooxanthellae likely from lower light in my tank. I'm just wondering what's your current light schedule and what kind of success you are having with it. I'm definitely open to suggestions from any other followers on this forum. 

-J

• Like 1
HighCurrent
13 hours ago, Reefaddiction said:

@HighCurrent

I'm new to the forum and thought this was very helpful. I have a 14g biocube with a few mods and I too am running the kessil A80 over it. I love the kessil shimmer and the design looks great for nanos in my opinion. I was surprised to see that you run your lights at 100% intensity for quite some time. I thought this would cook my corals to a crisp so I've been running it at a much lower intensity closer to 40-50%. But in doing so I've noticed my corals losing color and that "pop" look and some have browned which I think is related to excess zooxanthellae likely from lower light in my tank. I'm just wondering what's your current light schedule and what kind of success you are having with it. I'm definitely open to suggestions from any other followers on this forum. 

-J

IMG_4286.thumb.PNG.c06cdb384d8c5275ecce917e44d1d421.PNG

J here is my schedule in orange for power and the dashed blue is my color. Since adding a second light I had to drop my power down to 60% and slowly work my way back. I had a little bleaching on my sps but they are bouncing back great.

• Like 1
Reefaddiction

Thanks! I'm almost certain that my light schedule is way to weak for my corals! Certainly slow adjustments are the way to go, just wondering how slow or fast do you adjust your lights? Something like 5% increase in intensity over a week? Slower... faster? I'm gonna try to mimic your light schedule and just slowly increase the intensity. I see your running the apex over the kessil spectral controller... how do you like it? Any reason you chose that over the kessil? Thanks for all the help, I think my colors should start coming back. Thought it might be phosphates being too high (I'm feeding a green mandarin and blue spotted jaw fish daily) resulting in browning but my water parameters are on point. I'll start increasing the light intensity and see how it goes.

• Like 1
HighCurrent
32 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

Thanks! I'm almost certain that my light schedule is way to weak for my corals! Certainly slow adjustments are the way to go, just wondering how slow or fast do you adjust your lights? Something like 5% increase in intensity over a week? Slower... faster? I'm gonna try to mimic your light schedule and just slowly increase the intensity. I see your running the apex over the kessil spectral controller... how do you like it? Any reason you chose that over the kessil? Thanks for all the help, I think my colors should start coming back. Thought it might be phosphates being too high (I'm feeding a green mandarin and blue spotted jaw fish daily) resulting in browning but my water parameters are on point. I'll start increasing the light intensity and see how it goes.

I raise mine 5% every 10 days. You could do it over the course of a week but I just do it all at once. I love the apex controller. No issues with the Kessil control. It's just way easier to adjust my set points on my phone or computer.

28 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

And why the second light on a nano? Are you now running two kessil A80's or some other combination of lights? 

-J

I just wasn't getting as much light as I would like down the sides of my acropora. I was getting a lot of shadowing.

Yes. 2 A80 tuna blues.

IMG_4235.thumb.JPG.f6889050514f144f03de52f23b7009dc.JPG

• Like 2
Reefaddiction

Tank looks great, after seeing that picture I feel so much better about not cooking my corals. Your lights are right on top of them at 80% intensity. This was extremely helpful!  I'll try posting a pic of my tank later.  Btw what type of tank do you have? Make... size etc. 

• Like 1
HighCurrent
16 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

Tank looks great, after seeing that picture I feel so much better about not cooking my corals. Your lights are right on top of them at 80% intensity. This was extremely helpful!  I'll try posting a pic of my tank later.  Btw what type of tank do you have? Make... size etc. 

Thank you! 

Glad i I could help you out. My tank is an Innovative Marine NUVO Peninsula 14g.

I have a full tank thread in the All-In-One section. If your interested. You can see pictures from when I had just one light and two.

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2017 at 7:36 AM, HighCurrent said:

Thank you! 

Glad i I could help you out. My tank is an Innovative Marine NUVO Peninsula 14g.

I have a full tank thread in the All-In-One section. If your interested. You can see pictures from when I had just one light and two.

Do you always go with no top or just for photos? I was wondering how much light I’m losing with the im top. Don’t want the damn fish to jump either though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...