Coral Vue Hydros

T5 lights for a 12 gallon nano

Braun036

Filter floss looks like and some people use pillow stuffing. If you buy pillow stuffing just read the bag and be sure it is not treated. How many crabs did you get? I would think you only need a few in 12 gallons. Cleaning the back chambers can be hard so any thing you can put in a mesh bag just makes it easy to pull out and change or rinse off. When doing the weekly water change take out the media bags and rinse or replace as needed. Filter floss replace at least weekly, carbon replace every 3 weeks. Weekly vacuum the sand not more than about 1/3 of the sand surface. I do the areas that have low flow the most. You will have to clean the back chambers monthly also. So one week a month vacuum the water from back there as best you can with tubing if the hose is too large. There is a lot to learn and most people within a few months after the tank has cycled come up with maintain plan that works for them. Every tank is different. Member here will try to tell you what has worked for them and most will be similar but there are things that do not always work for everyone. 12 gallon nano-cubes were very popular for years so you should be able to find some threads on what worked for others. Still lots of time to research and learn. Make any changes slowly and you should be fine.   

Okay thank you for that. And to answer your question the guy at the LFS recommended that I put 10 hermit crabs in.  Which I did on Sunday I personally think it is to many but that is what the guy told me. I do have some sand down in those back chambers which is going to be a pain to get out.  But I just found out that I need to get the sand out I will try to vacuum it out along with cutting my sponge down.  I just found out that my sponge is in there way to tight.  Thank you all for all the advice you have given.  

Agreed 10 sounds like a lot but what's done is done. Might I suggest when you decide to add some snails just get a few. If your tank was mature and  having algae issues I would only have 1 snail per gallon as the maximum amount. Of course with that many crabs in there. Some snails will absolutely be lunch. I think taking the sand out of the back will save you a lot of headaches. I believe most people also replace the sponge with filter floss and just throw it away as needed instead of trying to clean it. Not to be mean but remember the LFS is in the business of selling so around here the saying is take every thing they say with a grain of salt! You are asking questions that is the best thing to do. There are so many helpful members here that love to help. Keep up the good work. 

Okay I might take out like 5 crabs and put in a couple snails that seems like a better idea than having all these crabs.  Right now it just looks like I am doing a hermit crab tank and it looks  ridiculous. I will replace the sponge with floss tonight, going to a different fish store tonight that seems to be more about fish safety then money. They won't even sell you a fish or coral unless you provide a water sample and it checks out.

What type of snails would you recommend 

Trochus and Astrea snails are good. 

Cerith snails are good, but there's a chance the crabs would kill those for their shells. 

Yes that is what the guy at the LFS recommended as well.  Even though I didn't buy my hermit crabs there he said I could trade him 5 crabs for 5 snails so I am pretty happy about that. He also informed me that the  alkalinity  buffer I was using was really only for fresh water so I am not sure why the other place told me to buy that. He sold me this 8.4 PH buffer and it is really nice, I am just using a half dose and after doing another water change (my second one of the day) I added some of that stuff and my PH went from 7.8 to 8.0. So it looks like I should have been using this stuff along. 

I also replaced one of my live rocks with a much better looking rock that I think is going to be a lot more useful. It has this beautiful red tone to it. 

CharlesFoxtrot

It might not be the best idea to be buffering your pH. It's normal for pH to vary during the day due to photosynthesis, and buffering may cause you more serious water chemistry issues. I was advised not to chase pH, and I'll pass that on to you. Go slowly, and ask lots of questions. 

Archived