inTank Media Baskets

Sump Plumbing Configuration

holy carp

So in setting up a new tank, I'm curious about connecting a pre-built sump.  For nano tanks, a lot of manufacturers make sumps that only have one input bulkhead, but virtually all plumbing overflows that I've seen use 2 or 3 drain lines, as in herbie or beananimal styles.  So if connecting these to a small sump, it seems like it would jeopardize the benefits of redundancy if they were joined with a T to meet a single input into the sump.

So how do people typically plumb into a small sump like these?  Do you drill additional bulkheads, or join drain lines with a T, or simply let another hose hang into a separate section of the sump?

To illustrate what I mean, these are some of the overflows I've looked at:

Eshopps-Overflow-Box-Eclipse-L-99.jpgEshopps-Overflow-Box-Eclipse-M-99.jpg210337-synergyreef-theshadowoverflow-1.j

And then most of the smaller sumps have one input like these:

sehjf-4onls6gwibvcrx6yhdosp-dh5wt8ra8outcubes_1__99928.1444745926.500.750.jpg?c=

Perhaps I'd be better off with a standard 10 or 20 gallon tank as a sump given space constraints...

FWIW, I'm looking at a 20g display.  Any insights or opinions are appreciated.

Well I have the overflow on the right that you posted. I also ended up just getting a 40 breeder for a sump. I can not stand acrylic and since the tank was glass why not a glass sump. I vote for a 20 long for a sump or something along those lines.

I had a trigger sump and well it was nice but like you posted one hole for the return and that just doesn't work.

I ended up finding a really nice sump kit and did my own. I have a refugium area that one return flows into (also the emergency drain) then it all goes into a skimmer section where the second drain goes also. Finally the return area. I love the set up and has worked so far.

tanacharison

On almost all plumbing set ups only one of your drains will hold the majority of the water the other ones are emergency or have only a tiny amount of flow.  Typically the other is an emergency and if you have 3 then the second has a slight flow or trickle once you achieve a syphon in your main drain. The other drains can be directed into the skimmer or the next section of the sump without any issues.  With the small amount of water don't need to filter them with a sock but if you wish you can add additional sock brackets.  

tanacharison
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Well I have the overflow on the right that you posted. I also ended up just getting a 40 breeder for a sump. I can not stand acrylic and since the tank was glass why not a glass sump. I vote for a 20 long for a sump or something along those lines.

DIY is the way to go I agree!  This was my first sump build a few years ago.  It was a 29 tall and a sheet of acrylic from the hardware store.  Cost a little over $50.  

On 3/24/2017 at 10:49 PM, tanacharison said:

On almost all plumbing set ups only one of your drains will hold the majority of the water the other ones are emergency or have only a tiny amount of flow.  Typically the other is an emergency and if you have 3 then the second has a slight flow or trickle once you achieve a syphon in your main drain. The other drains can be directed into the skimmer or the next section of the sump without any issues.  With the small amount of water don't need to filter them with a sock but if you wish you can add additional sock brackets.  

+1 for this

One drain will be the main drain for either the herbie or BA, just connect that one and route the others into the open compartments for emergency/ tickle. 

Archived