Cultivated Reef

Xenia Problems

HITSEEDS

XENIA WILL NOT OPEN SEEMS TO BE DYING SOME HELP PLEASE ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.... WATER SEEMS TO BE FINE

Xenia like off to the side water flow to barly any at all, bye the way if u just put it in there they will be pissed off especially if u had to rubberband it to a rock to get it to stick. Xenia is very very hardy if it goes so will alot of your other corals

Edit it likes alot of light also i placed mine at the top of my nano like top 25% regan of your tank but dont let it hit the surface of your water or u will run into alot of problems

Xenia won't open can drive you crazy when its trying to adapt to the water and lighting but after it's happy and thriving it will drive you more crazy worrying about xenias(Aptasia) taking over the tank.Xenia get mad pretty long so give it some time ,even a dead root can come back to life . i squeeze a branch because it come too close to the acro ,about a week later a bunch of babies xenia is born at the same spot. well good luck!

i recently transplanted some xenia from another tank and they shriveled terribly after two days. Then I checked some refs and read that xenia will sometimes adapt to new conditions by shriveling their arms retracting the trunks and growing new podlike extensions and walking to a new spot, only to rejuvenate. Mine are coming back as we speak, and began pulsing again rigorously only today. Give it a week and see what happens. The one colony I kept messing with died and melted. The others recovered. Just let them recover on their own and don't mess with them too much.

Cesar: they don't require MH lighting, PC's will suffice.

HITSEEDS: is everything in your tank doing OK? your water params might be off since it's been a little over 2 weeks and your xenia still hasn't adjusted yet. do a water change, and check your params to make sure nothing's off.

Xenia are also living iodine test kits. They need a fairly large amount to do well. In my tanks when the iodine levels start to drop, the xenia will slow down or even stop pulsing. Add it and within minutes they will pick up and start pulsing again. Have you tried an iodine additive ?

do you have the gold kind or the more common purple/brown kind? It makes a huge difference. From my experience the gold kind is far more sensative and will die within a few days under lighting that is too intense, while the more common kind seems to thrive under even the most intense light. Water current goes the same way too- gold likes less, purple likes more

Archived