SaltCritters.com

Easiest Soft and Lps corals?

Chiliana

Hi everyone! 

I am interested in knowing what you think are the easiest soft and lps corals. I am starting a tank cone Saturday so I have about 1-2 months to pick out what corals work best. As a beginner with a budget and low experience, corals that don't require high quality lighting is preferred. So far, I am researching: 

-Zoas 

-Clove Polyps 

-Ricordea 

- Mushroom Learher coral 

(Tank is 30" long, 12" wide) 

(20g long) 

What lights do you plan on using?Right now I'm using a dual 39w t5 fixture over my 20L and I'm keeping a ton of xenia,star polyps,zoas,chalices,cloves and an acan echinata

Xenia and green star polyps are easiest softies for sure.

For LPS ive always had an easy time with candy cane coral (aka trumpet coral)

On 3/23/2017 at 9:22 PM, Narzyzz_12 said:

What lights do you plan on using?Right now I'm using a dual 39w t5 fixture over my 20L and I'm keeping a ton of xenia,star polyps,zoas,chalices,cloves and an acan echinata

I'm not sure yet. I am holding off for another month on the aquarium and I'm still deciding on the lights. I just wanted to know what the easiest corals in you opinion are regardless of the light ?? 

On 3/24/2017 at 0:47 AM, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

Leathers can be slightly temperamental but, again, with the right light, can flourish in a tank

On 3/24/2017 at 0:45 AM, Clown79 said:

It depends on the light you will be using.

Properly recommending corals will all depend on the light.

fishfreak0114

My hammer has grown great for me and hasn't given me any problems. It's been with me for nearly two years. Leathers are easy one you get them in the right spot.  Candy canes, Zoas, mushrooms, acans, blastomussa.  My lobo has been easy too, so long as I feed it once in a while. 

I have terrible luck with xenias and zoas. they are so finicky.

Meanwhile my frogspawns are growing like crazy. Doesn't matter where I place them.... they grow and grow.

Blastos are a lot of fun. Fun to Feed.

Duncans are so easy and fun to feed.

In my personal opinion. Rock Flower Anemone is superrrrrr easy. low light, low flow, eats right away and are BEAUTIFUL.

Every tank is different and every reefer will have a different experience. For example, a few people recommend trumpets/candy canes as good first corals but I have terrible luck with them. Xenia grow like crazy in my tank, but some people have trouble with them. All of my euphilia (hammers, frogspawn, torch) have always done well. I also have had great success with acans. Zoas are nice but are small and take a while to build a colony. Most of the corals mentioned will do well with just about any lighting as long as you keep temperature, salinity, pH, Alkalinity and calcium stable.

msparklym13

I love Duncans, Frogspawn and Zoas! My Xenia is out of control almost a weed at this point!

So far I have killed ever Acan I have put in my tank.  I have no clue why but like another posted each tank is different!

Best of luck!

11 hours ago, msparklym13 said:

I love Duncans, Frogspawn and Zoas! My Xenia is out of control almost a weed at this point!

So far I have killed ever Acan I have put in my tank.  I have no clue why but like another posted each tank is different!

Best of luck!

Thank you ?

Archived