Innovative Marine Aquariums

20L to AIO peninsula tank planning stage

Oracus

I am planning on converting my spare 20L to an AIO peninsula tank. After trying to find dimensions on the filtration chamber that others have done and coming up empty. I thought why not replicate the IM Fusion10/Peninsula 20 setup minus the sock filter. Right now it will be made of 1/4 black acrylic. This tank will replace my current 8g. Then come here and inquire to recommended changes as I am still new to tank construction. Only modification i foresee is the depth of the chambers might need to be bigger so I can fit my hand in. 

58d40308a53f9_20peninsulafiltration.JPG.026d210285bc941117ee137e92eb254d.JPG

58d403521d546_Filtration2.JPG.19e66757d833e2d0fe7b9abcf738ed38.JPG

holy yes measure your hand, width and depth when you make a fist. I did not do this and trying to grab a fallen chemipure bag is a royal pain. Also if 1/8 is cheaper and in the color you want, go for it. It doesnt have to withstand any net pressure

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that! I just sent a price request. As I just got home from vacation I was going to buy my acrylic this week but Ill wait till i hear back from these guys.

6 minutes ago, Oracus said:

The ocean box kit is $180 for a 20long.  The Octoaquatics guy actually responded very fast to my inquiry less than 5 mins. 20 long short side is $65 +shipping

1 minute ago, Outofstock said:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forum/198-octo-aquatics/

Octo is a forum sponsor too. Built one of my aquarium tops, very quick with responses and getting product out too. 

Cool, good deal. 

• Like 1

After so more thinking and math, if I make the chambers 4" deep that puts the display area about 15.1 gallons before substrate and rock. Going to use my Kessil A80 for lighting and my Phosban 150 media reactor. That leaves me needing a return pump, heater, and wave maker to get it going.

Had a thought right before I ordered my kit from Octo. I  thought maybe I should change the design, how would I silicone the bottom side of the lower acrylic piece? Any suggestions?

20 peninsula filtration 2 .JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

bit of a necro bump...but what is the empty portion on the bottom, to the right of the pump, for?  :unsure: 

edit - I also reached out to Octo in July, but they said they weren't making the wall anymore. :(  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, Friendly said:

bit of a necro bump...but what is the empty portion on the bottom, to the right of the pump, for?  :unsure: 

edit - I also reached out to Octo in July, but they said they weren't making the wall anymore. :(  

I copied the IM20 design so I guess just more water

I realize it's probably so that the appropriate MiniMax Media Reactor or Ghost Skimmer don't sink and stop working...as the tank is 'deeper' than they are high.  :haha:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Well this project went idle for a bit. I just kicked back into gear and should have it finished and all livestock transfer over this week(LFS is having a Black Friday sale). I will get updated photos soon.  

Aragonite is in a dust settled until I add the new dry rock, new heater installed and running, should have return pump moved over with livestock Friday/Saturday. Working on a temporary light setup until I can get a second Kessil A80. The light is an old Coralife 24" deluxe PC that i am 3D printing some legs for.  Still need a permanent solution to hold the filter floss in the chambers(maybe inTank basket).