SaltCritters.com

Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)

samnaz

yungKitten
2 hours ago, samnaz said:

Got myself a NANOBOX QUAD for the 30L setup. Happy birthday to me. WOO!

Now that's how you do a birthday! Happy birthday :]

15 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Oh and happy birthday!

15 hours ago, yungKitten said:

Now that's how you do a birthday! Happy birthday :]

Thanks guys! Should have said *three weeks early* birthday gift to myself.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Nixperience said:

So where's the new tank already?

I'm taking my sweet time, haha. If you really want to see it, I'll post a picture when I'm back home from vacation. It's just an empty glass box sittin in my hallway at the moment (it's still beautiful though).

Now that I have my light fixture decided on, all I need is an RO/DI system, maybe a skimmer but I haven't decided on which one yet. I should have the tank wet in 2 weeks, gunna try for it anyway. Finally done with classes, I have so much free time!

• Like 1

Which HOB skimmer should I get? I've narrowed it down to these:

Aquamaxx-1

Reef Octopus Classic 100

Reef Octopus Classic 1000

AquaC Remora

Nixperience
45 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Which HOB skimmer should I get? I've narrowed it down to these:

Aquamaxx-1

Reef Octopus Classic 100

Reef Octopus Classic 1000

AquaC Remora

AquaC seems to be the tried and true one, but I've heard awesome things about the Aquamaxx. Aquamaxx has been making some really nice stuff. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yungKitten said:

I would advise not using a skimmer.

Interesting! Care to elaborate?

I've had my 20L up for nearly a year now, skimmer-less. Haven't had any major issues but I do have some green algae (Cladophora I think?) and quite a lot of brown scum (Diatoms I assume). 

1 minute ago, pal said:

My opinion  is run a skimmer, a chaeto reactor, blast your new fancy light and feed alot

Skimmer or reactor recommendations?

Here are a couple photos of the Phyllangia americana (Hidden Cup Coral) that hitched along with my live rock. It's still going strong after nearly a year, and I didn't even discover until about 7 months after purchasing the rock. 

IMG_6901.thumb.JPG.166f4d11ae13183f0781d7c10d8ac60b.JPG

IMG_6905.thumb.JPG.ba56bbb8ea220bfb41d7872e0e570d26.JPG

• Like 2
yungKitten
On 5/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, samnaz said:

Interesting! Care to elaborate?

I've had my 20L up for nearly a year now, skimmer-less. Haven't had any major issues but I do have some green algae (Cladophora I think?) and quite a lot of brown scum (Diatoms I assume). 

I had an Aqua C Remora for a month or two. My tank was in my bedroom. I though it was kind of loud and cumbersome and I didn't really see any major improvement in water quality. I stopped using it and had no ill effects. This tank had no real filtration to speak of. This tank did have a refugium that was about 1/3 volume of the display with some cheato and a bit of LR rubble. I never had any problems with high nutrients or algae. I was religious about 10-20% water changes and that is what I attribute the success of the tank to. It's worth noting that I didn't have any extremely difficult to keep SPS, but I did have monti's and birds nest along with a variety of LPS and softies. (I've included some pics of the tank. I had it about 9 years ago when I was in high school)

I felt like I could ditch the skimmer because of the following article. (Take it with a grain of salt as it is from 2002)

10gallon.jpg

10gallon2.jpg

10gallon3.jpg

• Like 3

Check out this super cool sponge I found washed up on the shore! If you look closely there are a couple tiny brittle stars. 

IMG_8237.thumb.JPG.001a2be8fa457e75b8e5abf5878e3545.JPG

IMG_8238.thumb.JPG.089b1709c57a4bae5d4e89d87dbdc6c5.JPG

• Like 2
1 minute ago, yungKitten said:

are they still alive?

1 minute ago, Nixperience said:

Put it in your tank. See what happens ?

The Stars were alive. The sponge was dying I assume, as they can't be out of water for even short periods of time. I was tempted to bring it back on the plane but since water isn't allowed, there's no way it would make the trip alive. So I threw it out into the ocean.

yungKitten
On 5/4/2017 at 11:57 PM, pal said:

I don't have any experience with hob skimmers, I  have been running the marine depot aquamax reactor package for a few months and I  am loving it

The algae reactor is so effing cool. Definitely gonna have to get one of those.

Upon examining my tank after going on a 6 day long vacation, I made some awesome discoveries! 

First, found that my Duncan is finally budding a new head.

IMG_8291.thumb.JPG.8f60c3ddd5b69e5b2034f53781828cbd.JPG

IMG_8293.thumb.JPG.5c0ee90ea85c815506b1b65d3dbca68e.JPG

And, caught my hidden cup coral eating a snail....

IMG_8300.thumb.JPG.3d7ccd1468e6fa3f21a39c6436fbb260.JPG

Now I think I know how it survived so many months without being fed.

• Like 3

I also found another tiny hidden cup coral on another rock. It's so small, I couldn't get a good picture. 

IMG_8571.thumb.jpg.02d1d961f2b64e14076c31e4a0269b79.jpg

IMG_8555.thumb.jpg.c98e98def764f9dc295e06e3e9c2efba.jpg

More pics of the cup coral devouring a snail, featuring bright red feather duster, colony of unknown brown polyps, and a giant nasty looking amphipod. 

IMG_8454.thumb.JPG.c57630a36b3a0cb1facca8ffd3f33d8f.JPG

IMG_8393.thumb.JPG.dac72afeb019d4c8ee4b585dfa6716be.JPG

• Like 2
  • samnaz changed the title to Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)