Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxspect Gyre XF230 Or ecotech mp10

RyanRe1n8olt

If noise is important to you, the ecotech is way quieter than the gyre.  I had a mp40 on my 170 with no complaints.  Upgraded to a Reefer 250 and bought another mp40.  I tried a pair of xf230 on the 250, wasn't happy with the noise and put the mp40s back in.

RyanRe1n8olt
29 minutes ago, WRX said:

If noise is important to you, the ecotech is way quieter than the gyre.  I had a mp40 on my 170 with no complaints.  Upgraded to a Reefer 250 and bought another mp40.  I tried a pair of xf230 on the 250, wasn't happy with the noise and put the mp40s back in.

If noise wasnt a problem which would you recommend 

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 0:20 PM, RyanRe1n8olt said:

If noise wasnt a problem which would you recommend 

I'd probably still go with the vortech.  It feels like a more premium and durable product, can have wireless control, and has been around longer with more of a history. The gyre was ok, had a really good flow pattern, it was just too loud for me. 

I've been running an XF130 in my 24g (24x16x16) for 14 months (just upgraded to the new xf230 controller just a few weeks ago).  At the speeds you'd be running the gyre at in a Reefer 170, you won't be able to hear it unless you've got your ear to the glass.  In fact, that is probably the one downfall of the gyre in tank the size of a 170 - almost too much power for the tank...

If you mount it horizontally, you'll only be able to run it up to about 50% in the forward direction - any more and you'll have a sandstorm. Running in reverse, doesn't really generate much flow - unless you use 'opposite' paddles. But if you do that, even at the lowest setting of 10%, the paddle pushing water down the glass wall it's mounted on will create a sandstorm. So, mounted horizontally you're essentially limited to pushing water in one direction (e.g. across the top, down the far wall, and along the bottom). 

On the other hand, if you leave enough room between your rock and back glass to mount it vertically, even at just 10-20%, you could get some amazing flow moving both clockwise and counter-clockwise (looking down on the tank).

That said, I love my gyre ... but that doesn't mean you will.

And Burt loves his mp10 ... but that doesn't mean you will.

IHMO, the only way to know which you'll like best is to either try to see each one running in a tank with your own eyes ... or decide which one you THINK will best fit the aquascape, tank space, and aesthetic you have in mind for your tank, then try it. Yes, it can be difficult and/or expensive. But both pumps have lovers and haters ... both have people who've had great success with them ... and both have people who've experienced problems with them (i.e. broken paddles on the gyre ... rapidly worn bearings or rusting magnets on the vortechs).

In other words, both are great pumps - and which would be best for you tank will boil down to purely a matter of personal taste.

The good news is both hold their value fairly well. So you can try one, and if you don't like it you can sell it and try the other.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

As a follow up to this older post  - I'm running a XF230 in my 20H.   10-30% provides what I consider the perfect amount of flow for the tank (controller only allows setting flow in 10% increments).   No comparison to my prior Jabeo RW4  power head.   I went with a slightly larger unit for future upgrade plans.

Noise at that % is almost non-existent (the tank sits right next to my desk at home).  You can hear the stepper motor "whine" a little if you put your ear up close to the pump but after a foot or so it fades into the background.