Coral Vue Hydros

TheBigOs EVO 13.5g/20L DIY AIO - Rock Flower Garden

TheBig053

11 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

So I just started with 1 mL of each and tested regularly. As Alk and Ca started to drop I would increase the dose. Lots of testing and adjusting. Trying to keep my alk around 8.4 dKH and Ca around 450 ppm. 

Perfect, thanks a lot!  Seems like the tried and true method so I shall stick with it.  Appreciate it!

4 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I still can't believe you have a clam in this LOL

Go big or go home.... or find your big clam a new home in a year, hah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

did you upgrade the pump on the EVO? mine is loud and vibrates a lot

Yes, sicce syncra silent 0.5. Tight fit in the third chamber but it is more powerful than the stock and runs silent. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Christopher Marks. Yes, I cut the intensity in half from the single Prime when I added the second. So far I've only increased the intensity of the violets and blues by 2% since adding the second. I have some LPS in the sand bed still that I have moved to shaded areas (what's left of them, hah) but will be keeping a close on eye them. 

I lost the rainbow mille yesterday. I noticed a small area of TN on Sunday afternoon that appeared to be the result of too much flow based on where the TN originated. I turned the jebao down and angled it a little farther away from the mille, apparently it was too late. Over night it RTN'd. I came down monday morning to almost entirely white skeleton. Real bummer. 

• Sad 3

Careful upping the lights with such a small/nonexistent amount of PO4 in the water....PO4 is necessary for them to deal with photosynthesis.

I'd use a light meter so you can be more precise with how much you increase your lights.

(I'd increase the amount of PO4 in the water.)

22 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

a8u2qDd.jpg

man, looks like you got a pretty sweet little spot right at the center of the tank for the competition acro, getting light from both Prime's.

Oh yeah. We'll make it work! 

On 18/08/2017 at 11:01 PM, TheBig053 said:

Whatever you end up doing with the tank be sure to plug the hole in the center of the AIO wall!!!

What did you use to plug the hole? Is there a reason for this?

7 hours ago, M-A-T-T-Y said:

What did you use to plug the hole? Is there a reason for this?

Coral/rock epoxy. Plugging the hole will greatly increase your flow through the rear chambers. It forces all water through the overflow and through both chambers back in to the display. This also will help cut back on detritus build up in the rear chambers. I really have no idea why they put the hole there.

Losing a sapphire mille but everything else seems fine in the EVO. The 20 is another story. Our basement is just too cold for a heater only being run intermittently to keep up.

I am debating abandoning the 20 and cramming what I can into the EVO. Thats five fish in a 13.5 gal tank ?

mitten_reef

if temp is the main issue, do you still have access to hot water? Real question,, cuz some ppl’s hot water tank is electric. 

You could get get a bottle or a plastic container filled with hot water from the tap. Obviously, it has to have a tight lid.  Stick it down in the tank, should help adding heat back in, and slow down your heat loss. 

No hot water unfortunately. Looks like im stuck running the car all night switching the power from one tank to another.

Whats even more fristrating is that all the neighborhoods around us have power. Havent seen one crew from the power company in our hood all day.

• Sad 3
18 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Coral/rock epoxy. Plugging the hole will greatly increase your flow through the rear chambers. It forces all water through the overflow and through both chambers back in to the display. This also will help cut back on detritus build up in the rear chambers. I really have no idea why they put the hole there.

Just tried plugging the hole with my finger and could see an immediate difference in the water flow! Going to grab some Seachem Reef Glue over the next couple of days and plug it from the media basket side of the hole.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, M-A-T-T-Y said:

Just tried plugging the hole with my finger and could see an immediate difference in the water flow! Going to grab some Seachem Reef Glue over the next couple of days and plug it from the media basket side of the hole.

Yep, it'll go a long to keeping the tank cleaner. 

I'm up at the moment here (2:30 AM EST) to plug the heater and powerhead into the car again, since we still are with out power from the storm. The wind has died down some but still pretty still howling pretty good outside.  

It's been 15.5 hrs since we lost power. I got a feeling this isn't going to end well. No updates from the power company on when we can expect our power to be restored.

House is down to 61F, EVO is 74F and the 20L is 72F. 

This sucks!

• Sad 1

I was able to raise the EVO up to 76F and the 20L up to 73F. I wrapped a second blanket/quilt around each tank. Time to try and get a little more sleep. Alarm set for 6:00 AM to do this again. Maybe I'll get lucky and wake up to electricity in the house.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

I was able to raise the EVO up to 76F and the 20L up to 73F. I wrapped a second blanket/quilt around each tank. Time to try and get a little more sleep. Alarm set for 6:00 AM to do this again. Maybe I'll get lucky and wake up to electricity in the house.

Best of luck TheBig053, horrible situation to be in. Hope it is all okay and the powers back on shortly!!

• Thanks 1

Commencing 6:30 AM Jeep Grand Cherokee Generator Session. For the record, if you're in the market for a generator I'd recommend one that doesn't require mid-grade gasoline! ?

Temp in the house is down to 59F 

EVO was 74F and 20L 71.8 F at 6:30 AM

I've hooked up the 20L to the car first since the temp is lower and our basement always runs a few degrees colder than the rest of the house. 

Oh yeah, still no power, in case that wasn't obvious ?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Commencing 6:30 AM Jeep Grand Cherokee Generator Session. For the record, if you're in the market for a generator I'd recommend one that doesn't require mid-grade gasoline! ?

Temp in the house is down to 59F 

EVO was 74F and 20L 71.8 F at 6:30 AM

I've hooked up the 20L to the car first since the temp is lower and our basement always runs a few degrees colder than the rest of the house. 

Oh yeah, still no power, in case that wasn't obvious ?

If you have gas hob can you not boil some water, put it in some bottles and pop it in the tank?