Coral Vue Hydros

TheBigOs EVO 13.5g/20L DIY AIO - Rock Flower Garden

TheBig053

This is looking great. Been thinking of getting back into the hobby with one of these but have reas mixed reviews on the light. Are you still using stock lighting? Heard you can't keep corals with it but your tank clearly proves otherwise.

6 hours ago, molsen187 said:

This is looking great. Been thinking of getting back into the hobby with one of these but have reas mixed reviews on the light. Are you still using stock lighting? Heard you can't keep corals with it but your tank clearly proves otherwise.

No, I upgraded to an AI Prime HD because I wanted to add SPS and the stock light was a bit too white/bright for my liking. Also, the stock light really lacked for programability and control. Stock light should be fine for softies and most LPS though.

Awesome thank you. Not ready for sps for awhile so stock lighting will be good. Are there any upgrades you think are a must? Am I going to need to add a powerhead flow or change the pump at all? I found a great deal today on Craigslist for this tank with an intank media rack for 90.00 so had to do it. I don't mind taking my time collecting the rest but wanted to know if you thought there were any must have upgrades from the jump .

Quick update.  My nitrates have been running a little higher than I'd like so I put in the hardware for a chaeto refugium in chamber 2 tonight. 

iA9YGh0.jpg

RSfMKW2.jpg

I plan to place the chaeto in a large media bag to start so bits dont get loose in the chambers and get sucked into the return pump. If not enough light gets through the mesh bag then I will repurpose the DIY eggcrate media basket I made for chamber 1 when I first set up the tank.

Here is the light I am using at the recommendation of fellow nano-reefer, @Nart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W6VNR3S/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I attached it to the glass with sticky backed velcro strips for easy removal. 

Won't be able to get to the LFS to pick some chaeto till this weekend. Will provide updates on how/if its working down the road. 

Will post a 5-month updated FTS this weekend after I clean and WC. 

• Like 4

Only plan to run it at night while display light is off. I ran it for several hours yesterday after setting it up to see how hot it would get and if it would effect the tank temp. While the unit did get warm to the touch, it did not cause the tank temperature to fluctuate during this time. I certainly don't think it will get hot enough to damage the glass either. 

On ‎08‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, molsen187 said:

Awesome thank you. Not ready for sps for awhile so stock lighting will be good. Are there any upgrades you think are a must? Am I going to need to add a powerhead flow or change the pump at all? I found a great deal today on Craigslist for this tank with an intank media rack for 90.00 so had to do it. I don't mind taking my time collecting the rest but wanted to know if you thought there were any must have upgrades from the jump .

Hey, sorry @molsen187I totally glazed over your questions here.  I am running the stock pump still but I also have two power heads in the tank at the moment.  A jebao SW-2 for some intermittent flow and koralia 425 just for added water movement in general.  The koralia is directed upwards and towards the front glass so it doesn't blow on anything directly. I've been contemplating upgrading the stock pump for better flow from the return, or replacing the koralia with another jebao so I can get some alternating wave flow on opposite sides of the tank. If the new chaeto fuge ends up working well then I may need to upgrade the return pump regardless of the power head situation to increase flow through the chambers. Whatever you end up doing with the tank be sure to plug the hole in the center of the AIO wall!!!

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I am new to the hobby but happy to help any other EVO owners if I can. Lots of trial and error so far, hah!

Oh yeah and welcome to the EVO club!

tenor.gif

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hipertec said:

does the refugium light get hot after keeping it on? and are you running it 24/7?

@hipertec Just saw your tank thread over on ReefCentral.  How has the chaeto in chamber 1 worked for you so far?

On 8/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, TheBig053 said:

Not quite 5 months but heres a little update...

New acans from supreme reefs

MZC8T9Y.jpg

Purple mili

rKIYyUS.jpg

Forest fire digi

3JUvOdw.jpg

and Rock Flower Anenome

sbbBqGc.jpg

Those Acans are on FIRE! Wowza! :haha:

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Those Acans are on FIRE! Wowza! :haha:

Thanks! I wish I had a better camera than my iPhone. It picks up so much blue that it really does not show the true color of the coral. The one up front has really awesome teal color and the yellow ring near the outer part of the one in the back really "pops". They both have new heads coming in already also!

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

Thanks! I wish I had a better camera than my iPhone. It picks up so much blue that it really does not show the true color of the coral. The one up front has really awesome teal color and the yellow ring near the outer part of the one in the back really "pops". They both have new heads coming in already also!

I find myself in a similar dilemma... Just with a Galaxy S8, and I'm only irritated with how my rockwork looks! Haha not even close to corals yet...

I've heard gel filters are the key, so I guess I'll pick some up and see. I also need to uncover an easy way to post video.

Anyways yours look great, and I'm definitely a fan of Acans! 

On 8/18/2017 at 5:36 AM, TheBig053 said:

Only plan to run it at night while display light is off. I ran it for several hours yesterday after setting it up to see how hot it would get and if it would effect the tank temp. While the unit did get warm to the touch, it did not cause the tank temperature to fluctuate during this time. I certainly don't think it will get hot enough to damage the glass either. 

you can add a tiny desk fan pointed at the refugium to lower the temp

3 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

you can add a tiny desk fan pointed at the refugium to lower the temp

Thanks. Ran the light all last night even with no chaeto and the temp held steady, so no concern here.

• Like 1

Nice set upB) clownfish are just soooo fascinating!!! Used to have a pair of Clarkiis hosted by a carpet anemone. Had them for over 3 years then had to sell them. Setting up an Evo 13.5 to get a pair of occelaris this time. It's gonna be in the living room so everyone one can admire that tank. It's gonna be cleaner than my 8g mixed reef tank in my bedroom lol

A new FTS has been posted in the lead post on this thread. I've already documented much of the additions between the 4-month update and now. The free pieces of acro and poci I got at the local aquarium club meeting appear to be doing well. Color is definitely coming back on both. The poci flesh is turning green and the acro is a metallic green/blue. It will be interesting to see what the pieces end up looking like once fully rebounded.  

I set up the second chamber to serve as a chaeto fuge because nitrates have been running a little higher (5-10 ppm on red sea kit) then I'd like recently despite regular water changes and more careful/decreased feeding. Unfortunately, I have been unable to procure any locally through two nearby LFS or local reefers. Finally caved and ordered some from Reef Cleaners, should be here mid-week. 

I will need to spend some QT with the epoxy and superglue this week so I can get these frag racks out of the tank. My fish are beginning to look a little cramped. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

A new FTS has been posted in the lead post on this thread. I've already documented much of the additions between the 4-month update and now. The free pieces of acro and poci I got at the local aquarium club meeting appear to be doing well. Color is definitely coming back on both. The poci flesh is turning green and the acro is a metallic green/blue. It will be interesting to see what the pieces end up looking like once fully rebounded.  

I set up the second chamber to serve as a chaeto fuge because nitrates have been running a little higher (5-10 ppm on red sea kit) then I'd like recently despite regular water changes and more careful/decreased feeding. Unfortunately, I have been unable to procure any locally through two nearby LFS or local reefers. Finally caved and ordered some from Reef Cleaners, should be here mid-week. 

I will need to spend some QT with the epoxy and superglue this week so I can get these frag racks out of the tank. My fish are beginning to look a little cramped. 

NICE! seems like your hammer doubled in size :haha:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

NICE! seems like your hammer doubled in size :haha:

I noticed that as well. It has grown but I think it is likely just in a better mode today than it was a month ago, hah.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:41 AM, TheBig053 said:

@hipertec Just saw your tank thread over on ReefCentral.  How has the chaeto in chamber 1 worked for you so far?

My chaeto in chamber 1 is growing but slow. Its on our powered by the small led and only during my main lights when on. About 8hrs.  

I have a larger tank and the chaeto grows very fast but the bulb is left on 24/7.

On Friday another local reefer on our clubs board posted a FS for RBTAs for only $30/each. Never being one to pass up a good deal I had to jump on it. Spent some time on Saturday popping some corals off the main rock in my tank and moving some free standing ones around to make room for the new addition. Shortly before leaving my house to pick up the nem the seller PM'd to apologize for selling all of the larger ones she had. All she had left was a 1.5-2" and a 1" nem. I guess she felt so bad that she decided to sell me both for $30, so I now have two bubble tip anemones, albeit small ones.

The larger one is actually about 2.5-3" and the smaller one about 1.5". The tentacles are a nice purple and the disc is mint green right now. Hopefully they get a little better/darker color once they really get settled in. Anyways, I got them home last night, acclimated, and in the tank all before the finale of GoT. 

Here are they are.

VoQnQ6z.jpg

The smaller one ended up crawling up the main rock and around the back so getting a good shot was a bit tough. 

NGptAxW.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/18/2017 at 11:20 AM, TheBig053 said:

You can download Snapseed. Helps edit your photos colors etc.