inTank Media Baskets

TheBigOs EVO 13.5g/20L DIY AIO - Rock Flower Garden

TheBig053

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts about it, since I'm seriously contemplating picking up that particular tank myself ^_^

Seems to be working well so far.  There is a bit of spillage over the sides from the surface skimmer being used as a flow director.  I think I might be able to correct it by shaving a little of the plastic off the corners of the surface skimmer. 

However, my Cobalt Neo Therm 50W heater appears to be on the fritz. I came home and my water temp was only 78.4 (usually between 79.6-80.0) and I noticed the LED indicator on the heater was not on. I jiggled the heater and it came back on, then off again. Jiggled again and it came back on. I watched it for a few minutes and it remained on. I check again after dinner and it was off again. Aquarium temp was down to 76.6. After dinner I ran to Petco and picked up an aqueon 50W heater (only brand they had available). I got the Cobalt to come back on while doing my water change and it has been back on since and the temp is slowly rising. I was trying to hold off on installing the aqueon because it was $30 and im sure I can find something of better quality for cheaper on amazon, but I am nervous relying on the Cobalt over night. Guess I'll have to get up during the night and check. 

6 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Seems to be working well so far.  There is a bit of spillage over the sides from the surface skimmer being used as a flow director.  I think I might be able to correct it by shaving a little of the plastic off the corners of the surface skimmer. 

However, my Cobalt Neo Therm 50W heater appears to be on the fritz. I came home and my water temp was only 78.4 (usually between 79.6-80.0) and I noticed the LED indicator on the heater was not on. I jiggled the heater and it came back on, then off again. Jiggled again and it came back on. I watched it for a few minutes and it remained on. I check again after dinner and it was off again. Aquarium temp was down to 76.6. After dinner I ran to Petco and picked up an aqueon 50W heater (only brand they had available). I got the Cobalt to come back on while doing my water change and it has been back on since and the temp is slowly rising. I was trying to hold off on installing the aqueon because it was $30 and im sure I can find something of better quality for cheaper on amazon, but I am nervous relying on the Cobalt over night. Guess I'll have to get up during the night and check. 

I keep a couple of $10 Tetra heaters from Walmart on hand (you'd probably want 100w for that size tank though) though I've heard of people having trouble with them not maintaining temp.  I've yet to have an issue though.

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I keep a couple of $10 Tetra heaters from Walmart on hand (you'd probably want 100w for that size tank though) though I've heard of people having trouble with them not maintaining temp.  I've yet to have an issue though.

Yeah, i have a very small tetra heater that I use to warm the water for water changes but it definitely wouldnt be powerful enough for my tank. 

Looking online right now for a permanent replacement for the Cobalt. It was nice because it was so compact and fit with space to spare in the third chamber with the pump. 

6 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Yeah, i have a very small tetra heater that I use to warm the water for water changes but it definitely wouldnt be powerful enough for my tank. 

Looking online right now for a permanent replacement for the Cobalt. It was nice because it was so compact and fit with space to spare in the third chamber with the pump. 

How long have you had the Cobalt?  Hey, maybe between the Tetra and the Cobalt the tank will stay warm enough! :lol:

Eheim Jager is another brand I've seen recommended but their heaters are pretty dang long imo.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

How long have you had the Cobalt?  Hey, maybe between the Tetra and the Cobalt the tank will stay warm enough! :lol:

Eheim Jager is another brand I've seen recommended but their heaters are pretty dang long imo.

Cobalts only two months old.  The amazon product description says it has a three yr warranty. Unfortunately I think I tossed the box and paperwork that cane with it. Trying to google it now.

17 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Cobalts only two months old.  The amazon product description says it has a three yr warranty. Unfortunately I think I tossed the box and paperwork that cane with it. Trying to google it now.

Oh wow.  That's ridiculous!

8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh wow.  That's ridiculous!

Yeah, I know!  We'll see. Still working at the moment. Just gotta keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1

Well the Cobalt took another dump during the night. The temp was back down to 76.0 this morning.  Just set up the aqueon. Still bitter that Petco got away with hosing me for $30 for it!  I'll be contacting Cobalt about a free replacement this morning under there three-year warranty. 

Argh!  How frustrating!  Well at least it will only be ugly heater in tank temporarily!  Hopefully Cobalt gives you no issues on replacing it.  At least you'll have a backup heater?

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Argh!  How frustrating!  Well at least it will only be ugly heater in tank temporarily!  Hopefully Cobalt gives you no issues on replacing it.  At least you'll have a backup heater?

They are a sending a new one!  Hopefully it will last longer than two months. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

One can only hope! :happy:

When examing my tank this morning before leaving for work, I noticed that my branching hammer had two mouths near the the center of the single head.  This is the first time I've seen this while its tentacles are retracted in the dark.  After doing some research, it sounds like this means it is going to split into two heads, which is exciting. Anyone have any idea how long this usually takes? I spot feed twice a week, once with reef roids and once with a meaty food (mysis or frozen reef plankton). Water chem has been good each time testing twice a week (ca 450-400, mg 1600 - 1400, dKh 8-10). I'll try to get a photo tonight after lights out. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

When examing my tank this morning before leaving for work, I noticed that my branching hammer had two mouths near the the center of the single head.  This is the first time I've seen this while its tentacles are retracted in the dark.  After doing some research, it sounds like this means it is going to split into two heads, which is exciting. Anyone have any idea how long this usually takes? I spot feed twice a week, once with reef roids and once with a meaty food (mysis or frozen reef plankton). Water chem has been good each time testing twice a week (ca 450-400, mg 1600 - 1400, dKh 8-10). I'll try to get a photo tonight after lights out. 

Thats awesome!! How exciting! Congratz!!

On 5/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, TheBig053 said:

I've had really good success with the Finnex HMO's.  I can't quite justify the extra for the neotherms, but I use the Apex to control the temp and the internal as a failsafe.  Call me paranoid about heater failures...

• 2 weeks later...

Feeding time! Giving he LPS (and clowns and s***head shrimp) soke mysis. 

The favia

SB6p11T.jpg

micromusa

gtXYwX3.jpg

acan 1 and acan 2 (homage to dr seuss!)

BGG8U23.jpg

and the newest tank addition... major heyward! (If you get the reference we are immediately best friends) The duncan coral. 

NmjHRcc.jpg

and of course s***thead the shrimp got fed also......

8T2Qg55.jpg

I almost feel glad he got an atennae stuck in a powerhead the other day!

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

How did that spillover with the InTank media basket work out? I am curious and would like one but Every. Single. Review. I read on his baskets - no matter the make or model - there's overspill. I got a Duncan today, too! And a skunk cleaner shrimp. Why's yours a shithead?

10 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

How did that spillover with the InTank media basket work out? I am curious and would like one but Every. Single. Review. I read on his baskets - no matter the make or model - there's overspill. I got a Duncan today, too! And a skunk cleaner shrimp. Why's yours a shithead?

There is spill over on either side no matter what I do. I wI'll continue to use it because it is better than my diy egg crate rack, but it does lose water over the sides and probably needs more holes in the shelf on rack one. That being said, it does a good job of forcing water through the floss.  My floss never dirtied this quickly with my diy.  @steveT am I doing something wrong?

i love the Duncan, but skunk cleaner is a shithead because steals food from a the corals and has even ripped tentacles off my hammer. He was well behaved tonight thought. 

• Like 1

Loooong update!

The tank is now three months old (new FTS in the first post of the thread) and everything is still going well.  Been pretty consistent with weekly 20% water changes, feeding the fish a little each day and corals twice a week. Came back from a week long vacation and found a lot of new growth on the corals. Specifically the monti cap and acans are taking off. Right before I left for vacation I added two new ricordia (orange/pink and blue) and some bam bams from Legendary Corals. 

Current stock:

-two oscellaris clowns

-one skunk cleaner shrimp

-two dwarf hermits

-one turbo snail

-one trochus snail

-three cerith snails

-rainbow micromussa colony

-branching hammer x frogspawn (splitting into two heads)

-two rainbow acans (three new heads budding)

-green star polyps

-fire and ice zoas

-rasta zoas

-bam bam zoas

-purple fusion palys

-duncan (two heads)

-three Ricordea (orange, orange/pink, blue)

-toxic waste leptoseris (finally starting to grow!!!)

-red monti cap

-blue/green sympodium

Here are some photos of the new additions and growth.

Duncan all swoll and happy

ApU7QPs.jpg

New Rics

2yvYaa9.jpg

Bam Bams

XUhVKdJ.jpg

Happy little micromussa colony (and yes I do read that in the Bob Ross voice in my head)

n0DvGXO.jpg

And new Acan heads/buds (sorry for the blurry photo)

fnxB3y1.jpg

Next up is to add some more SPS to the tank.  Gonna try to acquire this locally through my local reef club since folks are always looking to sell and trade frags on the forum much cheaper than through dealers. Thinking about a ponape birdsnest and digitata to start, then trying my hand at some acro.  We also have our local fragfest coming up in July where they hand out a bunch of free frags of assorted coral at the meeting.

I am also considering adding a third fish. I know I am pretty much at my limit with the two clowns but so far I have been successful at running a very clean tank and keeping up with water changes hasn't been a problem. I am looking at something small with a low bioload (obviously) that won't have a problem with the clowns. Thinking a purple firefish or a goby (either two spot or yellow watchman). Is this completely ill advised and overly ambitious?

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Loooong update!

The tank is now three months old (new FTS in the first post of the thread) and everything is still going well.  Been pretty consistent with weekly 20% water changes, feeding the fish a little each day and corals twice a week. Came back from a week long vacation and found a lot of new growth on the corals. Specifically the monti cap and acans are taking off. Right before I left for vacation I added two new ricordia (orange/pink and blue) and some bam bams from Legendary Corals. 

Current stock:

-two oscellaris clowns

-one skunk cleaner shrimp

-two dwarf hermits

-one turbo snail

-one trochus snail

-three cerith snails

-rainbow micromussa colony

-branching hammer x frogspawn (splitting into two heads)

-two rainbow acans (three new heads budding)

-green star polyps

-fire and ice zoas

-rasta zoas

-bam bam zoas

-purple fusion palys

-duncan (two heads)

-three Ricordea (orange, orange/pink, blue)

-toxic waste leptoseris (finally starting to grow!!!)

-red monti cap

-blue/green sympodium

Here are some photos of the new additions and growth.

Duncan all swoll and happy

ApU7QPs.jpg

New Rics

2yvYaa9.jpg

Bam Bams

XUhVKdJ.jpg

Happy little micromussa colony (and yes I do read that in the Bob Ross voice in my head)

n0DvGXO.jpg

And new Acan heads/buds (sorry for the blurry photo)

fnxB3y1.jpg

Next up is to add some more SPS to the tank.  Gonna try to acquire this locally through my local reef club since folks are always looking to sell and trade frags on the forum much cheaper than through dealers. Thinking about a ponape birdsnest and digitata to start, then trying my hand at some acro.  We also have our local fragfest coming up in July where they hand out a bunch of free frags of assorted coral at the meeting.

I am also considering adding a third fish. I know I am pretty much at my limit with the two clowns but so far I have been successful at running a very clean tank and keeping up with water changes hasn't been a problem. I am looking at something small with a low bioload (obviously) that won't have a problem with the clowns. Thinking a purple firefish or a goby (either two spot or yellow watchman). Is this completely ill advised and overly ambitious?

Tank is looking great!  I'm no expert but I know people have kept 3 (or even 4) fish in 10+ gallons before so it can be done.  I reckon you just have to make sure you keep up with water changes!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank is looking great!  I'm no expert but I know people have kept 3 (or even 4) fish in 10+ gallons before so it can be done.  I reckon you just have to make sure you keep up with water changes!

Thanks! Figured i'd be alright if I kept up with water changes.  My other concern is  the clowns being agressive with a new addition. They actually arent all that agressive with each other, the larger one does pick on the smaller occassionally. However, this isnt anything more than normal assertion of dominance.

57 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

another fish is probably fine.  look for a small fish like a goby or blenny. 

That's what I was thinking. Hadn't considered a blenny yet though. I really like starry blennys but I am pretty sure my tank is too small. Unless they are slow growers like the clowns. What other blenny would you suggest?

2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Thanks! Figured i'd be alright if I kept up with water changes.  My other concern is  the clowns being agressive with a new addition. They actually arent all that agressive with each other, the larger one does pick on the smaller occassionally. However, this isnt anything more than normal assertion of dominance.

That's what I was thinking. Hadn't considered a blenny yet though. I really like starry blennys but I am pretty sure my tank is too small. Unless they are slow growers like the clowns. What other blenny would you suggest?

What about a tail spot or twin spot bimaculatus blenny?  (I've been looking at these).  They stay pretty small and, it seems, are still full of blenny personality!

Tank keeps coming along! I added a purple fire fish form the LFS that looked pretty beat up when I got him home but has since rebounded.  He is actually bullying my two clowns.

Went to the local reef clubs meeting last sunday.  Picked up seven free frags, here are some of them.

68HWNlx.jpg

The forestfire digi and strawberry shortcake up front werent free. ?

I also got a huge piece of purple tipped green monti cap and slme clove polyps.

I did get two frags that didnt make it. One was a large chunk of branching monti that was almost completely bleached when I got home from the meeting. The other is a "chalice" which is on its death bed, flesh sloughing off.  All the other frags appear to be doing well. The acro lost all its color but the flesh is intact and polyps extending. I am hopeful it rebounds and colors up soon. 

I also got to meet fellow Nano-reefer, Nart, at the meeting which was great. 

Party on!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite 5 months but heres a little update...

New acans from supreme reefs

MZC8T9Y.jpg

Purple mili

rKIYyUS.jpg

Forest fire digi

3JUvOdw.jpg

and Rock Flower Anenome

sbbBqGc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1