Innovative Marine Aquariums

TheBigOs EVO 13.5g/20L DIY AIO - Rock Flower Garden

TheBig053

Ok, nevermind.  Apparently all of my remaining phots are over 6 MBs and cannot be posted? Oh well. Maybe some other time. 

SaltyBuddha
13 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Ok, nevermind.  Apparently all of my remaining phots are over 6 MBs and cannot be posted? Oh well. Maybe some other time. 

Nice new additions! If you want, you can make an Instagram account and you can embed the photos directly to your posts. I don't think there is a limit and you can even do videos that way. I made an Instagram account specifically for this purpose 

• Like 1

Sympodium

mFqKC6M.jpg

Tank Shot (complete woth hydroids all over the glass)

FEMoyBn.jpg

Thanks SaltyBuddha. Imgur works also.  Guess I had a mental lapse yesterday afternoon. Hah.

• Like 4

Two new additions!  Picked up a green tip hammer and red monti cap from Ben at Supreme Reefs. 

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.216898929367d04f7bdb4ba6ed6dd8e2.JPG

Bonus photo bomb by Turbo the pooping snail!

Follow my SPS under stock EVO LEDs experiment here ...... 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheBig053

Been awhile since my last update and a lot has happened with the tank since.  Most significant being the upgraded light to an AI Prime HD.  This light is so much than the stock EVO LED.  My corals seem much happier and the added control over the photoperiod is a huge plus. 

I also reworked my scape a bit. I took out the large rock up front and broke it into four smaller pieces. Heres a FTS and one closer up.xqYMFbq.jpg

nFn3I2X.jpg

I've been having an issue with either diatoms or cyano on the sand bed, so I have added a jebao SW-2 to increase flow in the tank.  The increased flow and shorter photoperiod seem to be working at taking out the algae on the sand bed.

I bought DIY screen lid kit from BRS to accomodate the new light. I was able to succesfully construct the lid but its no masterpiece. It'll do though. 

Anyways, heres a few more shots of the tank with photobomb from Pennywise our camera loving clownfish.

cY4yguV.jpgwBxuAws.jpg

• Like 4
mbarton2010
1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

Been awhile since my last update and a lot has happened with the tank since.  Most significant being the upgraded light to an AI Prime HD.  This light is so much than the stock EVO LED.  My corals seem much happier and the added control over the photoperiod is a huge plus. 

I also reworked my scape a bit. I took out the large rock up front and broke it into four smaller pieces. Heres a FTS and one closer up.xqYMFbq.jpg

nFn3I2X.jpg

I've been having an issue with either diatoms or cyano on the sand bed, so I have added a jebao SW-2 to increase flow in the tank.  The increased flow and shorter photoperiod seem to be working at taking out the algae on the sand bed.

I bought DIY screen lid kit from BRS to accomodate the new light. I was able to succesfully construct the lid but its no masterpiece. It'll do though. 

Anyways, heres a few more shots of the tank with photobomb from Pennywise our camera loving clownfish.

cY4yguV.jpgwBxuAws.jpg

Looking good! I have the Evo5. Makes me kinda wish I would have gotten thesis bigger one instead

• Like 1
TheBig053

Went to the LFS yesterday afternoon to fill up on RO/DI but their buildings water pressure took a dump so they didnt have any water.  I couldn't go home empty handed so I began perusing the coral tanks. They have a nice piece of rainbow micromussa that I am interested in that one of the employees was going to sell me for $30 cheaper than what it was listed for. Unfortunately he wasnt there yesterday afternoon and the other employee told me it was $120. No thank you, I'll wait. 

So I bought a skunk cleaner shrimp! Drip acclimated him for a few hours and introduced him to the tank. He was still doing well this morning when I checked before heading off to work. 

UIhPxdN.jpgk2kiQt4.jpg

so far he seems to enjoy hanging out on the promontory of the rock tower like he owns the joint. 

• Like 1
LooneyBadger

Hello, I'm new to the page, but I just recently bought a fluval sea evo 13.5 also and I was wondering if a stock list of:

2 firefish

2 hermits 

And 3 or 4 snails 

I haven't even cycled my tank yet just trying to get a long term idea. I've been into freshwater tanks all my life and saltwater is a tricky thing lol

• Like 1
TheBig053

So I am new to this hobby as well, but everything I have read seems to be in agreement that 2-3 fish is max for a tank this size.  Probably best to stick with two, unless they are smaller/low bioload fish.  You would be fine with two firefish.  My current stocking is 2 oscellaris clowns, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 hermits, 1 turbo snail, 1 tochus snail, 3 cerith snails, and 2 nassarius snails.  Also, an assortment of soft, LPS and easier to care for SPS corals.  I really like the tank itself, but I have replaced every piece of equipment that came with it, minus the return stock pump. 

• Like 1
LooneyBadger

Ok I guess the main thing that freaks me out is the snails. I've heard so many horror stories of snails taking over tanks. 

Weetabix7
Just now, LooneyBadger said:

Ok I guess the main thing that freaks me out is the snails. I've heard so many horror stories of snails taking over tanks. 

What???

SW snails are not like FW snails. 

I have been keeping Reef Tanks since about 1993 and I have never heard of a Reef Tank getting overrun by snails. 

In fact, I got pretty excited the other day when I saw snail eggs on the tank glass. 

• Like 1
LooneyBadger

See this is where my sw newbie shows

26 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

What???

SW snails are not like FW snails. 

I have been keeping Reef Tanks since about 1993 and I have never heard of a Reef Tank getting overrun by snails. 

In fact, I got pretty excited the other day when I saw snail eggs on the tank glass. 

Weetabix7
Just now, LooneyBadger said:

See this is where my sw newbie shows

Meh, it's not a problem, you learn by asking questions. :)

Went back to the LFS today. The gnarly lookin' rainbow micromussa was still there. I had to!

Updated with better photo:

8oKFH1i.jpg

Tentacles out!

• Like 1

Well, we had been calling our cleaner shrimp "scampi" but our toddler keeps calling it a newt. So henceforth he will be called Newt the shrimp.

• Like 1

Added two rainbow acans yesterday. 

Mnv4nE3.jpgggEoicW.jpgxwL5OgN.jpg

I also added a nice size chunk of GSP mat because why the hell not?  Its not yet opened all its polyps so I'll wait share a pic. 

• Like 2
On 5/8/2017 at 9:36 AM, LooneyBadger said:

Hello, I'm new to the page, but I just recently bought a fluval sea evo 13.5 also and I was wondering if a stock list of:

2 firefish

2 hermits 

And 3 or 4 snails 

I haven't even cycled my tank yet just trying to get a long term idea. I've been into freshwater tanks all my life and saltwater is a tricky thing lol

I'm not positive but I think that firefish have to be a mated pair to be kept together.

This tank is shaping up nicely!  I also got a few pieces from drgibby's tank shut down (3 rics, GSP, and a frag of that gorgeous pipe organ).

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm not positive but I think that firefish have to be a mated pair to be kept together.

This tank is shaping up nicely!  I also got a few pieces from drgibby's tank shut down (3 rics, GSP, and a frag of that gorgeous pipe organ).

Thanks! the Rastas and Fire and Ice zoas i got from him didn't look so hot just after adding them to my tank. I actually lost several polyps from each, but they have since rebounded nicely and it seems like new polyps are growing daily. The Fire and Ice is doing especially well, its doubled the number of polyps in the past three weeks or so. Being a huge Game of Thrones nerd I had to put some Fire and Ice in the tank! I'll post a picture later once the tank light comes on. 

8 hours ago, LivingWaters said:

Tank is looking great! Man that micromussa is HOT! ??

Thanks! It's a nice big piece also. Probably 3" x 3" x 2.5 " triangle with approximately 15 heads in total (6-7 larger onces). I tried to mount it to some rock but the skeleton underneath is pretty large and it doesnt sit right anywhere/looks awkward jutting out. I think i'll just keep in the sand bed. 

The Acans came from Supreme Reefs - http://supremereefs.com/home/. The wysiwig on the website isn't even half of the coral Ben has available. Follow on Facebook to see more livestock inventory. He also does eBay auctions. I've found the prices to be reasonable and have had no issues with any of the livestock I've purchased from Ben. If you are looking for something specific not on the wysiwig, just shoot him an email, he probably has it.  Tell him Eric sent you. I highly recommend!

• Like 3
On 5/19/2017 at 11:06 AM, TheBig053 said:

Added two rainbow acans yesterday. 

Mnv4nE3.jpgggEoicW.jpgxwL5OgN.jpg

I also added a nice size chunk of GSP mat because why the hell not?  Its not yet opened all its polyps so I'll wait share a pic. 

Beautiful! I love acans!

WhiteWulfe

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts about it, since I'm seriously contemplating picking up that particular tank myself ^_^