inTank Media Baskets

Starting to cycle my new 20G and had a few questions.

ms71171

Stats:

I have a 20H with 2-36w PC (1-actininc /1-10K) and so far about 18lbs of LR. Some of my LR is base rock that I hope eventually will become encrusted again. I just bought a CPR BakPak 2R and plan to use it to help me through my cycling. I run my lights for only about 6 hours a day.

My questions are:

1. what would be the best cleanup crew for my 20?

I plan on having only softies in the beginning and maybe some LPS later.

2. What would be a good schedule for dosing Kalkwasser?

i'd stay away from crabs like sallys, arrows, and emeralds until you settle on the corals and inverts you want. those common crabs may be very destructive to the livestock, esp. soft corals.

i'd recommend the blue-legged hermits (smaller the better) and astrae snails (ol' faithful). turbos may also look very nice though for your setup, the 20H is very picturesque. a couple of lumbering turbos grazing on the rocks.

Are you adding a sand bed to the tank? If so, you will need worms and other critters to stir it up and keep it clean. I believe the best cleaning crew member is the lowly bristle worm.

Hah, I was in a LFS the other day, getting some LS. First, the owner thoguht I was crazy for wanting to buy 10lbs of sludge from his LR tank, instead of pre-bagged, shelved live sand.

Then, as I'm standing at the register, I saw a little worm crawlign through it, and made a comment about it. The owner's like, "oh... are you SURE you don't want the bagged sand? It doesn't have any of those ansty critters."

I'm like, "nasty? you kidding me? I'm sure this sand doesn't have ENOGUH worms for me."

He thoguht I was on crack. Damn old-schoolers.

When I set up my 29g I purchased the following order online from Greg Hiller:

small snails $5

dwf brittle stars 5

bristle worms 5

live sand 7 (shipping)

brighter green tree coral 17

total $39

He includes a cup of live sand with each order if you pay the extra shipping ($7). I added the tree coral to make the order more profitable for him. It is so beautiful that the order would have been worth the $39 for it alone. The shipping from MA to MO was $25 for a grand total of $64 with everything alive on delivery and very professionally packaged. Here is a link to his website: G Hiller

all i got in my tank is 7 lb of crushed coral from a dry packaged bag. should i buy some live sand also and put on top of the crushed coral or no . if not should i buy those worms you guys were talking bout

Archived