Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef Roids for beginners - Basics Needed please

burtbollinger

gone_PHiSHin

I highly recommend target over broadcast but this obviously requires more time, and may not be applicable for larger tanks 

I feed every other day or every third day with very little.  i put a tiny amount in the tank about 30 min before lights out with the powerhead on to let the corals know it's feeding time.  I then turn off my pump and use a syringe (sans needle of course) to target feed each mouth a tiny amount.  again, this is in my IM10 so this only takes 5 minutes or so.  I then set a 15 minute timer and let them eat before turning the pump back on.

i never really see a significant increase in nitrates doing it this way.  I don't have a low range phosphate tester so I can't comment on that.  I usually don't let my filter floss go more than a couple days after a feeding before changing it. I believe it's smarter to feed tiny amounts more often than larger amounts less often. on Saturday before I do my water change I'll feed some larger frozen food mix, let them eat, turn on the pump to catch the excess, then do a WC and change the filter pad.

I just posted in another thread too, BRS reef chili seems to get a great response from my corals too.  you get a lot for the money and my blenny loves the excess that floats around.

also coral frenzy is on sale at marine depot, 20% off.

i use all three of those on a rotation.

natalia_la_loca

Once or twice a week, in conjunction with several other small-to-medium-particle feeds. I target feed.  No impact on nitrates at all.

burtbollinger

is BRS reef chili a Reef Roids "equivalent"?  I might be leaning in more in the reef chili direction I think.

gone_PHiSHin

they are both very small particles, which is what you want.  they look different though and the reef chili seems to have a little more of a fishy, flake food type smell to it. I've never actually looked into exactly what's in them though.

honestly if you get a bottle of each, you'll be good for a LONG time.

watch the BRStv video on target feeding corals for a little more insight.  there isn't a doubt in my mind that target feeding helps with growth.

theres no exact answer on how much or how often to feed, just monitor your parameters, observe your corals, and go from there.

I feed 1 to 2 times a week.

I get a small container and add tank water. Then i add a pinch of the roids. I stir it.

I then turn pumps off and use a pipette to target feed.

Then i dump the remainder in and turn pumps back on.

burtbollinger
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I feed 1 to 2 times a week.

I get a small container and add tank water. Then i add a pinch of the roids. I stir it.

I then turn pumps off and use a pipette to target feed.

Then i dump the remainder in and turn pumps back on.

should i be freaking out observing if the corals are eating or just do and and move on....assuming they are getting at least something?

gone_PHiSHin

you will know that they are eating.  it's very interesting to watch.

and once they 'get used to it', you will see even more of a response IME.  some corals take longer to return to normal after eating, and others like my duncans will gobble down a ton of food if I let them.

most of your corals will be perfectly fine without spot feeding, just think of it as you doing them a favor.  there should be no freaking out of any kind B)

burtbollinger

I've always spot fed but just not food this small.  I tend to stress.  I'm somewhat looking forward to broadcast feeding :)

gone_PHiSHin

ahh I see, the lazy way :D

you'll get more out of your Roids if you spot feed, but I'm sure the tank will benefit from just having the food in the tank. 

gone_PHiSHin

I wanted to bump this thread because I recently learned of Polyp Booster. I've used Reef Roids for a while now but somehow I never heard of Polyp Booster?!

can those of you that use this in conjunction with Reef Roids chime in on how you use it? is it necessary? 

i feel like it I'm doing myself a disservice by using one without the other...?

Archived