Cultivated Reef

Just_Pete's Fusion Nano 20

Just_Pete

Name is Pete and this is my first saltwater tank. I've setup my Fusion Nano 20 kit tank on 03.16.17

Aquarium Specs
Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 20
Sand: 20lbs of Special Grade Arag-Alive Carib-Sea

Rock: 5lbs live rock & 10lbs dry rock
Lighting: 2 Innovative Marine 18 Watt Skkye Lights - AI Prime HD with aluminum mount
Heater: Eheim 75 Watt

ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152
Filtration: Chemipure Elite, 2 media socks (came with kit)
Salt Mix: Nutri-Seawater
Pump: 211 GPH Return Pump (came with kit) 

Fish

2 Snowflake Clowns 

Coral

Orange and green Zoanthids

Xenia

Pastel Torch

Frammer

Invertebrates

2 Mexican Turbo Snails

1 Astrea Snails

2 Blue Leg Hermit Grabs (tiny)

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

FTS -05.05.17

FTS.jpg

FTS - 03.21.17

IMG_6345.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

:welcome:

what are your future livestock plans for this?

any planned upgrades?

new tanks are so exciting B)

Thanks!

No plans for upgrading the tank just yet... I want to use what I have for at least 6 months or so.

Livestock:

Fish - Pair of clowns, Goby and a Basslet. (maybe one other)

Corals - Not sure yet? GSP, Duncan... maybe pulsing Xenia

I like corals that move and are obviously beginner proof... any recommendations?

gone_PHiSHin

highly recommend duncans, I love mine

i have a green variety that fluoresces nicely.  they always look happy flowing in the tank, and I love watching them eat like pigs, feed them!

i do love pulsing xenia but would not put them in my tank.  once established they will quickly overgrow and spread everywhere!  not for nanos imo, where real estate is limited.

get some neon green caulastrea, or trumpet coral.  it's a classic LPS and has been around in the hobby since I got started in 2002, and probably WAY before that. I've had nice colonies in every tank I've had, and I just got a nice small 2 head frag a couple months ago and it's already 4-5 heads.  they don't move in the flow but they're hardy, very bright, easy to frag, and grow quickly with feeding.  they simply glow and add a dramatic pop of color in any tank.

as far as fish go slow, and I would suggest no more than 4.  

keep us updated!

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with Green Star Polyps. Super easy to keep, lots of flowing movement. 

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Duncans just because I've struggled somewhat to make mine happy. It's definitely picky. The good thing about them though is that you can tell immediately if they're content or not. This is only a good thing if you know what to do to when they're unhappy. Mine shrivels and does weird things sometimes and I'm always afraid it's dying, then the next day it's fine and normal.

Ricordia (Florida species, not Yuma) and Mushrooms don't sway in the flow but they are hardy, easy to please, good starter corals. Low to moderate light and flow is all they need. (Certain large species of Mushrooms are capable of eating small fish/inverts though, so stay away from those)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, samnaz said:

Can't go wrong with Green Star Polyps. Super easy to keep, lots of flowing movement. 

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Duncans just because I've struggled somewhat to make mine happy. It's definitely picky. The good thing about them though is that you can tell immediately if they're content or not. This is only a good thing if you know what to do to when they're unhappy. Mine shrivels and does weird things sometimes and I'm always afraid it's dying, then the next day it's fine and normal.

Ricordia (Florida species, not Yuma) and Mushrooms don't sway in the flow but they are hardy, easy to please, good starter corals. Low to moderate light and flow is all they need. (Certain large species of Mushrooms are capable of eating small fish/inverts though, so stay away from those)

Great recommendations there. I really like the looks of gsp, if I do go with the would you recommend putting it on its own smaller rock so they don't spread? 

Putting it on its own island helps keep it in control just make sure it cant creep across the sand to the other rock work or let it grow all on your back wall & cover it in a wavy green mat. Just as long as it stays off the rocks. Zoas are a decent starter but mine did better with occasional additions of amino acid supplement & iodine. Pallys also are great. Palyotha grandis are mostly indestructible (if you can find them) Mine stayed shriveled up as nubs for months due to lighting & water quality issues (noob) & even came back after my tank got to 90 degrees for several days. They have survived everything I have thrown at them. I have found they tolerate low light levels but loose most color & look the best under higher lighting. Mushrooms are a staple for a beginner coral & come in a huge variety of colors that will do extremely well under those lights. They will expand to huge sizes I had one more than 5 inches across under skyee light in my 10 g once.

• Like 1

So this has been my current setup for the past 4.5 days, BLAH!!!

AI Prime HD comes in tomorrow, thank god!

Tunze nano ATO comes in later this week :D

IMG_4131.JPG

AI Prime HD is in! Wow, what a YUGE difference lighting makes. These Zoas are popping!

Gonna be picking up a pastel torch tonight, pix to come!

Crappy cellphone pic...

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

Current light setting I'm using is from Facebook AI Prime Group - Mike Hai's. I know its hard to tell without the percentages but you can see the general chart.

I like but I want to adjust the whites a little higher towards the end of the day, thoughts?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.09.39 PM.png

Interesting, I haven't seen an AI jump up/down like that schedule? Mine ramps up and peaks, couple hours, then ramps down!

Good looking start to your Fusion 20!  I have my AI with the string/ wire hanging from ceiling above so it's about 8" from the water level on my tank. Looks good man!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kijho said:

Interesting, I haven't seen an AI jump up/down like that schedule? Mine ramps up and peaks, couple hours, then ramps down!

Good looking start to your Fusion 20!  I have my AI with the string/ wire hanging from ceiling above so it's about 8" from the water level on my tank. Looks good man!

Thank man. I downloaded the schedule from Facebook's AI Prime Group... Mike Hai_s there are a few people running this with promising results. For me personally they are a little too blue.

Thanks for the deets on your tank... as mentioned before, you build is inspiring :D

Just_Pete

My Torch however has been acting weird... The middle has blown up tremendously and at night time, the tentacles shrink in considerably. Is this normal? I'm concerned about the inner part being to swollen like that.

IMG_4245.JPG

Pete,

Your tank looks great!  The new light really makes the corals pop.  How did you choose your planned stocking order?  

N&N

• 6 months later...