Top Shelf Aquatics

Can my tank sustain a Mandarin Goby?

BenFraz8

Hi guys, I have noticed for awhile that my amphipod and copepod population have increased immensely. I now see many on the lower parts of the glass, crawling over my rocks, and have seen very large ones in the back of my tank. The tank in which this is happening is my 14gallon BioCube. I was wondering if this population would be sustainable to keep a mandarin goby. 

All info would be helpful, Thanks Ben

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

How long has this tank been established?

From my research, a mandarin would wipe the population in a tank that size fairly quickly. You would have to dose pods/come up with a method to culture pods/etc. in order to keep your mandarin alive.

I have no experience with mandarins, but I will say at one point the pod population in my tank exploded, stayed large for a while, and declined on its own. I have a Biocube 29.

Here is a good thread to learn about Mandarins in the Beginner's Discussion.

I would also tell you there is no such thing as a mandarin goby.  It is not a goby.  It is a dragonet. Not to be mean or anything, but not knowing that difference would indicate you would need a lot more research on this fish. 

It's not an easy fish. Pods make a good portion of their diet, but they're not exclusive.  Not in captivity, not in the wild. I had to train mine to eat frozen and roe (and she did) but she was still difficult to keep weight on in an 85 gallon tank with plenty of pods on top of being target fed two times a day.  I would not suggest them in a nano unless you had serious time to permanently dedicate.  It's not a fish that "once its trained you can walk away while feeding".  Not if there are other tankmates.  A species specific tank, maybe.  They are a difficult fish to keep.  Personally, I was burned out on mine by the time I tore down my tank.  I think I had her for 9 months.  I won't be keeping another mandarin for awhile. 

bonghapster

Depends on your current livestock and your dedication to feed/raise the dragnet.  i found it easier to keep a dragnet in 20g macroalgae tank by herself.  I raise pods cultures in my basement.  she is trained on frozen and fish roe.

No.

They shouldn't be in a 14g and they eat constantly.

Mandarins require serious dedication and a constant supply of pods. You're looking at spending $$$ on feeding it and feeding it multiple times a day. 

Do a search and read some of the others experience on keeping mandarins

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Can my tank sustain a Mandarin Goby?

Archived