Cultivated Reef

regenerating purigen a good idea?

Pjanssen

I came across small bag of purigen that I had pulled out of my tank a couple of months ago, but got side tracked and never got around to doing anything with it. I "re-generated" it according to directions, left it soaking for a day in RO/DI. I just picked it up and it smells. Like dead fish. I should just pitch it, right? Or should I soak in bleach a second time?

I researched that when I was originally researching to set up my tank.

Most people seemed to just pitch them when they discolored enough, and bought new bags since they aren't that pricey, because they weren't sure about the whole "regenerating" process and how safe/helpful it was for the tank.

Just now, dandelion said:

Twice I did the regeneration to a T and my corals hated it right after. I'm buying new from now on. 

This is good to know!

I read but never verified, you can regenerate with hydrogen peroxide.  But I am also a member of the ditch it train.  I just buy a new bag.

Tank is actually looking really good without it anyway-probably better than it ever has. I just added my 1st SPS though and know they tend to like a cleaner tank than my softies and LPS. So far they seem good with just the carbon and GFO. I'll probably get rid of the GFO soon as well, I just had a slight rise of phosphates that I'm hoping the GFO takes care of. I can pick up more Purigen if I need it. 

3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I came across small bag of purigen that I had pulled out of my tank a couple of months ago, but got side tracked and never got around to doing anything with it. I "re-generated" it according to directions, left it soaking for a day in RO/DI. I just picked it up and it smells. Like dead fish. I should just pitch it, right? Or should I soak in bleach a second time?

I would be very cautious about trying to regenerate the Purigen. I tried to do so awhile back and nuked my tank, lost some corals. I think it's very tough to completely remove the bleach from the tiny microspheres of Purigen. Why take the risk when they are less than 10 bucks for a new bag? It seems my experience is pretty common.  

gone_PHiSHin

to be fair, fresh Purigen right out of the bag smells horrible.

that said, I just buy a new bag when the time comes, I've never tried regenerating it after reading all the negative stories

I want to add though I have used regenerated purigen in my 29G FW tank with no issues. I guess corals are a lot more sensitive. My pico sized tank doesn't help with dilutions either. 

Apparently you're supposed to use prime during the ro/di soak. 

That being said, I have never regenerated mine, I just fill a new bag.

SarlinDescent

I have regenerated it a few times without issues for planted FW and reef SW.  I just rinse in the sink and get as much stuff out as I can.  Then bleach soak for 12hrs to a day.  Then rinse under a sink, then rodi with prime for a day.  Change water and do another prime soak for a day.  Rinse and place in tank.

With all that said, if you buy the bug container of Purigen and fill your own bag, its pretty cheap.  For the seal bag, I regen a couple times.

machonachos

Yeah personally I don't think its worth the trouble on nano setups.  Cost savings not really worth the cost if a regen goes bad

Archived