Top Shelf Aquatics

Hammer vs BTA

Bubba30

I have had this BTA about two weeks. Added it and it ended up settling in right next to my wall hammer. I kept a close eye on both and it appeared the anemone was avoiding the hammer and both were inflated and happy for two weeks. Today I see the hammer coral is beat up; happened overnight. I see some exposed skeleton and it is retracted on the side next to the nem. I've got them seperated now and am just wondering if the damage on the hammer is going to progress if I don't step in. Do I need to frag the hammer or will it recover if it stops getting stung?

it is crazy the BTA didn't sting the hammer for weeks then decided it didn't want to share the space anymore... thanks for any help!

It will recover as long as it is given space and you have good tank parameters. I've got a micro lord that has been stung on one side by a hammer and then it fell on another coral and got stung on the other side. Skeleton is still exposed but the rest of it is looking puffy and healthy. As long as your hammer gets space and your water is good then it will recover but it will definitely take a while. 

Just now, Bubba30 said:

I'm thinking I may dose some iodine into the tank and hope it comes around. 

Personally I do not dose iodine into the tank itself. If you want to use iodine then I would dip it in a separate container. I don't have a test kit for iodine so I'd rather not dose it into the tank. I'm assuming you're moving it anyways so it shouldn't be too hard to give it a nice dip.

Dosing iodine is not advised, testing for it is inaccurate and its easy to overdose iodine leading to problems.

Never dose what you can't properly test.

Doing an iodine dip would be better or letting it heal on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

So the hammer started turning into brown jelly and half of it disappeared overnight. Should I try cutting it or should I just consider it lost? I'd guess it got infected after being stung...

I figured it will be brown jelly in the morning if I don't step in. I cut it through some healthy flesh and am giving it an iodine dip. I'm going to superglue the tissue where I cut so nothing is flapping around on the edge. Fingers cross it will  hold on. I forgot how much of a bummer it is to lose coral.

Archived