• Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 Testing (4/1/17):

Temp: 78 degrees F

pH: 8.4

Ammonia: 0.50 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm (back to zero already?)

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

So it looks like the Nirite was converted into Nitrate, but I still have ammonia, so the cycle isn't done.

I then added 17.5 mL of ammonia to keep the cycle going. I checked the ammonia 7 hours later (when I woke up) and it was at 2.0 ppm.

I will test the tank again tonight and see what I come up with.

Day 10 Testing (4/2/17):

Ammonia: 4.0 ppm (up even more)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Oh man, I need more patience. I seem to be running out!

If you're still deciding which fish to keep in your 55 and you want something that shoals well, I would not recommend the neon.  I recommend a school of Rummy Nose tetras; one of the best (if not the best) FW shoaling fish, that schools tightly.  Nice companion fish are Angels and/or Rams.  

fishfreak0114

Great suggestion Type-H2O!  I love runmynose. Sadly I'm down to one loner who's outlived the rest of his group :( 

On 4/4/2017 at 6:54 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Great suggestion Type-H2O!  I love runmynose. Sadly I'm down to one loner who's outlived the rest of his group :( 

My cherry barbs were like that, I bought three females and a male from PetSmart in summer 2008, in fall 2011 they produced a single baby.  Last September I lost the last of the original females (at eight years old!!!) and a couple months ago lost the "daughter" of the group (at 5 years old).  I'd love to try rummynose tetras sometime!

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Type-H20 said:

If you're still deciding which fish to keep in your 55 and you want something that shoals well, I would not recommend the neon.  I recommend a school of Rummy Nose tetras; one of the best (if not the best) FW shoaling fish, that schools tightly.  Nice companion fish are Angels and/or Rams.  

They're pretty neat looking! I'll think about them.

Day 15 Testing (4/7/17):

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm (coming down)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Feels like I'm going nowhere...

I did take a couple pictures on 4/5/17. Here is an FTS, but it is already outdated because we've added some more decorative rocks:

33556446330_766a2a793b_o.jpg

Here is a close-up of the crystal rock. My boyfriend found it in a corn field while he was working:

33784183982_a53fb3fee9_o.jpg

I'll test the tank tonight and try to get a couple more pictures.

I'm tired of waiting on this cycle!! Me want feeeesh!

Archived