Pod Your Reef

Alex's Freshwater 55 Gallon

xAyanex

This is exciting. I have a 55 gallon eye-sore FW tank that I want to redo and turn into a planted tank. Really all I need is upgraded lighting, and better substrate. It's taking the time to tear it down and redo it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishfreak0114

The males have a yellow tail end and blue front end, the females are green. We only had the two for years and their colors were pretty much the same then as they are now with more of them. Me and my mom adore rainbow fish, there's so many varieties!  Whenever we see a type we don't have, we pick it up!  Dwarf neon rainbows are pretty tiny, ours are only about an inch so far. The females are quite drab, but the males really shine :) 

Cichlids are nice too, I have 4 yellow labs and two peacocks in a 45g. It's not overstocked, but so far I've been lucky in terms of aggression. There's some chasing, but everyone just kind of picks their own little territory. You really can't beat the colors in terms of brightness. Very cute personalities also (at least for the labs). 

4 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The males have a yellow tail end and blue front end, the females are green. We only had the two for years and their colors were pretty much the same then as they are now with more of them. Me and my mom adore rainbow fish, there's so many varieties!  Whenever we see a type we don't have, we pick it up!  Dwarf neon rainbows are pretty tiny, ours are only about an inch so far. The females are quite drab, but the males really shine :) 

Cichlids are nice too, I have 4 yellow labs and two peacocks in a 45g. It's not overstocked, but so far I've been lucky in terms of aggression. There's some chasing, but everyone just kind of picks their own little territory. You really can't beat the colors in terms of brightness. Very cute personalities also (at least for the labs). 

I would want a male rainbowfish then. And Cichlids come in many stunning colors, but I don't think I'm up for the challenge of having a cichlid tank.

Here's the picture I promised; I'll have to take a better one tomorrow. This was after a major water change, and the fish are scared and the bubbles distract from the glass quality. The tank has been struggling with hair algae that was introduced by the buce plants too...

IMG_1050.JPG

1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Here's the picture I promised; I'll have to take a better one tomorrow. This was after a major water change, and the fish are scared and the bubbles distract from the glass quality. The tank has been struggling with hair algae that was introduced by the buce plants too...

Wow, that's really pretty!! Love the neon tetras!!!

4 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

Wow, that's really pretty!! Love the neon tetras!!!

Thanks! I'm actually super disappointed by the buce plants, they haven't grown at all and they look horrible. Not to mention the algae they brought. BUT I'll be adding some dwarf hair grass or red bucopa to combat algae and give some height and texture. I love the tetras as well, especially since they get along with the red cherry shrimp lol. After being in the tank for a few weeks they're just now starting to be less shy :)

A huge school of tetras would be awesome in a 55G, that or make it an exotic specimen tank. I saw some freshwater teacup stingrays at my lfs that were in a really tiny tank, maybe you could look up their requirements?

1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Thanks! I'm actually super disappointed by the buce plants, they haven't grown at all and they look horrible. Not to mention the algae they brought. BUT I'll be adding some dwarf hair grass or red bucopa to combat algae and give some height and texture. I love the tetras as well, especially since they get along with the red cherry shrimp lol. After being in the tank for a few weeks they're just now starting to be less shy :)

A huge school of tetras would be awesome in a 55G, that or make it an exotic specimen tank. I saw some freshwater teacup stingrays at my lfs that were in a really tiny tank, maybe you could look up their requirements?

Wow, they were shy for months? I think a bunch of tetras would be great, and so would a tiny stringray!! But this tank is a compilation between my boyfriend and me, so it is up to him as well.

26 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

Wow, they were shy for months? I think a bunch of tetras would be great, and so would a tiny stringray!! But this tank is a compilation between my boyfriend and me, so it is up to him as well.

Not quite months, but a couple weeks (and they're still somewhat shy). Also it says online that teacup stingrays require 70+ gallons, but I was just using it as an example of something unique. Discus are beautiful but expensive. I love my dwarf pea puffers, you could do a huge community of them if you decorate/plant the tank heavily. Angelsfish never get old..

Just now, JoeR said:

Not quite months, but a couple weeks (and they're still somewhat shy). Also it says online that teacup stingrays require 70+ gallons, but I was just using it as an example of something unique. Discus are beautiful but expensive. I love my dwarf pea puffers, you could do a huge community of them if you decorate/plant the tank heavily. Angelsfish never get old..

My mom has had angelfish forever, they're old to me. Lol

Today my API Freshwater Master Test Kit and Ammonia arrived. I tested the tank.

Temp: 81 degrees F

pH: 7.6+ off the chart, so I tested high range pH to be 8.2 or 8.3.

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Just as expected. So I added the water treatment and two bottles of Tetra SafeStart. Tomorrow I will test/begin dosing ammonia.

We are still waiting on the filter to arrive. We still have not yet ordered a new hood/lights.

So after a little research, I am under the impression pH should be 6.5 to 7.5, and temperature should be 75-80 degrees. I will monitor the pH (but not take any action at this time) and turn down the heater, again.

As long as the ph is stable you really dont have to worry about it.  If you put in some drift wood the ph well come down and you want have to keeping adding stuff to keep it down. Heaters do a great job keeping my tanks temp stable. I turn the off in the summer and back on in the winter.

So yesterday I tested the tank:

pH: 8.4, even higher than last time. 

Alkalinity: 15.7+++ off the charts, yikes!

So that's with our well water (that has been softened). Needless to say, we will be changing that water out with other water (like maybe distilled water). 

So then, to start the cycle I added some Austin's ammonia. I read it is approximately 3-4%, so I dosed 17.5 mL to try and get the ammonia to a level of 3 ppm. I didn't have time to test it afterward because I had to go to work, but I'll test it now. 

Oh, and also, the Fluval filter came today! :) We added it to the tank with everything except the carbon. Oh, and we went to buy another 20 pound bag of black gravel, but they didn't have any. Instead, we got a fake rock and a fake plant. I'll post pics once they're in the tank.

Since I added my first dose of ammonia yesterday, I'll call yesterday Day 1 (3/24/17). 

Today is Day 2. Testing:

Temp: 78 degrees F. (We turned the heater down again). 

pH: 8.4 (still high)

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm (Not as high as I had anticipated, but that's okay).

There we go! Glad my cycling is started.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:21 PM, xAyanex said:

I like the blue striped neon tetras, golden/black and dalmation mollies, and the boesemani rainbow. My boyfriend likes the harlequin rasbora and fancy guppies. And if course some small algae eaters. 

I would highly recommend you look into otocinclus catfish for your algae eaters.  They stay small, shoal, and they are super adorable. :wub: Most plecos get ginormous, though there are smaller varieties. 

I always thought it would be neat to do a mixed tetra tank, with schools of different types of tetras.  Maybe someday!

1 hour ago, xAyanex said:

So yesterday I tested the tank:

pH: 8.4, even higher than last time. 

Alkalinity: 15.7+++ off the charts, yikes!

So that's with our well water (that has been softened). Needless to say, we will be changing that water out with other water (like maybe distilled water). 

So then, to start the cycle I added some Austin's ammonia. I read it is approximately 3-4%, so I dosed 17.5 mL to try and get the ammonia to a level of 3 ppm. I didn't have time to test it afterward because I had to go to work, but I'll test it now. 

Oh, and also, the Fluval filter came today! :) We added it to the tank with everything except the carbon. Oh, and we went to buy another 20 pound bag of black gravel, but they didn't have any. Instead, we got a fake rock and a fake plant. I'll post pics once they're in the tank.

I've had a fake rock cave thing in my 15H that's almost nine years old (this summer!), got it from Petsmart when I set it up.  Still looks nice imo even though the tank doesn't right now! :lol:

Oh, and fish can usually adapt to your water's levels, iirc.  Not sure if distilled is ok for FW or not, I don't remember lol.

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I would highly recommend you look into otocinclus catfish for your algae eaters.  They stay small, shoal, and they are super adorable. :wub: Most plecos get ginormous, though there are smaller varieties. 

I always thought it would be neat to do a mixed tetra tank, with schools of different types of tetras.  Maybe someday!

I've had a fake rock cave thing in my 15H that's almost nine years old (this summer!), got it from Petsmart when I set it up.  Still looks nice imo even though the tank doesn't right now! :lol:

Oh, and fish can usually adapt to your water's levels, iirc.  Not sure if distilled is ok for FW or not, I don't remember lol.

I have no idea! We figured since nothing is in there yet we still have time to research! My mom said distilled probably isn't the best idea. 

Not sure where you are from, but I've always thought it would be cool to have a freshwater tank with local fish.  For me it would be green sunfish, bluegill, various minnows, bass (not sure 55 gallons is big enough for a bass though). 

That would be pretty neat!

I think a mixture of tap water and RO or distilled water will work just fine for lowering the alkalinity but still providing the needed nutrients/pH/water hardness.

Here is a picture of my low tech planted tank (I no longer have) at its best.

Can't see all the fish cause of the jungle. lol

tanks4272013003_zpsc231d023.jpg

Day 5 Testing (3/28/17):

Temp: 78 degrees F

pH: 8.4

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm (coming down)

Nitrite: 0-0.25 ppm (maybe going up?)

Nitrate: 0-5.0 ppm (maybe going up?)

We added a 24" Aqueon compact fluorescent light/hood with lid. They only had one in stock so waiting to get another before posting pictures.

It's nicely set up because it has the lid I want in the front (to feed the fish) and the light just sits on top of a glass panel, so if/when we decided to ditch it for LEDS we can just set them on top with no modifications.

The rock we picked out and the fake plant look nice. We picked up three 5 pound bags of black gravel because they didn't have the 20 pound bags in stock, and we figure 15 more pounds should be enough. We haven't rinsed it or placed it in the tank yet.

On 3/26/2017 at 0:37 PM, HIppieRose said:

Beautiful! More details/info would be awesome...

32 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I didn't think you had to cycle a freshwater tank line you do a reef tank? Are you going to put live plants in it?

Nope. Cycling for fish.

Edit: Just to clarify, you do need to cycle a freshwater aquarium. The nitrogen cycle occurs in the freshwater aquarium as well as the saltwater aquarium. When I said "Nope", I meant no I wouldn't be putting live plants in the tank. But if I put fish in the tank, I would have to do a lot of water changes that I don't want to do, so I would rather establish my cycle prior to adding fish.

On March 26, 2017 at 0:37 PM, HIppieRose said:

Really nice planted tank. Why did you break it down?

I went to take care of my sister for 6 months needless to say it was a mess when I come home.  

Specs are light that came on the tank.  Replaces with GE soft white bulb.  1 inch organic dirt something cheep with no additives.  Remove as much wood shavings as possible.   With a one inch cap of Seagram aquarium gravel.  Weekly water changes and fish food to feed the plants.

Archived