xAyanex

Alex's Freshwater 55 Gallon

37 posts in this topic

This is exciting. I have a 55 gallon eye-sore FW tank that I want to redo and turn into a planted tank. Really all I need is upgraded lighting, and better substrate. It's taking the time to tear it down and redo it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The males have a yellow tail end and blue front end, the females are green. We only had the two for years and their colors were pretty much the same then as they are now with more of them. Me and my mom adore rainbow fish, there's so many varieties!  Whenever we see a type we don't have, we pick it up!  Dwarf neon rainbows are pretty tiny, ours are only about an inch so far. The females are quite drab, but the males really shine :) 

 

Cichlids are nice too, I have 4 yellow labs and two peacocks in a 45g. It's not overstocked, but so far I've been lucky in terms of aggression. There's some chasing, but everyone just kind of picks their own little territory. You really can't beat the colors in terms of brightness. Very cute personalities also (at least for the labs). 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The males have a yellow tail end and blue front end, the females are green. We only had the two for years and their colors were pretty much the same then as they are now with more of them. Me and my mom adore rainbow fish, there's so many varieties!  Whenever we see a type we don't have, we pick it up!  Dwarf neon rainbows are pretty tiny, ours are only about an inch so far. The females are quite drab, but the males really shine :) 

 

Cichlids are nice too, I have 4 yellow labs and two peacocks in a 45g. It's not overstocked, but so far I've been lucky in terms of aggression. There's some chasing, but everyone just kind of picks their own little territory. You really can't beat the colors in terms of brightness. Very cute personalities also (at least for the labs). 

I would want a male rainbowfish then. And Cichlids come in many stunning colors, but I don't think I'm up for the challenge of having a cichlid tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the picture I promised; I'll have to take a better one tomorrow. This was after a major water change, and the fish are scared and the bubbles distract from the glass quality. The tank has been struggling with hair algae that was introduced by the buce plants too...

IMG_1050.JPG

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Here's the picture I promised; I'll have to take a better one tomorrow. This was after a major water change, and the fish are scared and the bubbles distract from the glass quality. The tank has been struggling with hair algae that was introduced by the buce plants too...

Wow, that's really pretty!! Love the neon tetras!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

Wow, that's really pretty!! Love the neon tetras!!!

Thanks! I'm actually super disappointed by the buce plants, they haven't grown at all and they look horrible. Not to mention the algae they brought. BUT I'll be adding some dwarf hair grass or red bucopa to combat algae and give some height and texture. I love the tetras as well, especially since they get along with the red cherry shrimp lol. After being in the tank for a few weeks they're just now starting to be less shy :)

 

A huge school of tetras would be awesome in a 55G, that or make it an exotic specimen tank. I saw some freshwater teacup stingrays at my lfs that were in a really tiny tank, maybe you could look up their requirements?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Thanks! I'm actually super disappointed by the buce plants, they haven't grown at all and they look horrible. Not to mention the algae they brought. BUT I'll be adding some dwarf hair grass or red bucopa to combat algae and give some height and texture. I love the tetras as well, especially since they get along with the red cherry shrimp lol. After being in the tank for a few weeks they're just now starting to be less shy :)

 

A huge school of tetras would be awesome in a 55G, that or make it an exotic specimen tank. I saw some freshwater teacup stingrays at my lfs that were in a really tiny tank, maybe you could look up their requirements?

Wow, they were shy for months? I think a bunch of tetras would be great, and so would a tiny stringray!! But this tank is a compilation between my boyfriend and me, so it is up to him as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

Wow, they were shy for months? I think a bunch of tetras would be great, and so would a tiny stringray!! But this tank is a compilation between my boyfriend and me, so it is up to him as well.

Not quite months, but a couple weeks (and they're still somewhat shy). Also it says online that teacup stingrays require 70+ gallons, but I was just using it as an example of something unique. Discus are beautiful but expensive. I love my dwarf pea puffers, you could do a huge community of them if you decorate/plant the tank heavily. Angelsfish never get old..

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeR said:

Not quite months, but a couple weeks (and they're still somewhat shy). Also it says online that teacup stingrays require 70+ gallons, but I was just using it as an example of something unique. Discus are beautiful but expensive. I love my dwarf pea puffers, you could do a huge community of them if you decorate/plant the tank heavily. Angelsfish never get old..

My mom has had angelfish forever, they're old to me. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today my API Freshwater Master Test Kit and Ammonia arrived. I tested the tank.

 

Temp: 81 degrees F

pH: 7.6+ off the chart, so I tested high range pH to be 8.2 or 8.3.

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

 

Just as expected. So I added the water treatment and two bottles of Tetra SafeStart. Tomorrow I will test/begin dosing ammonia.

 

We are still waiting on the filter to arrive. We still have not yet ordered a new hood/lights.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after a little research, I am under the impression pH should be 6.5 to 7.5, and temperature should be 75-80 degrees. I will monitor the pH (but not take any action at this time) and turn down the heater, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the ph is stable you really dont have to worry about it.  If you put in some drift wood the ph well come down and you want have to keeping adding stuff to keep it down. Heaters do a great job keeping my tanks temp stable. I turn the off in the summer and back on in the winter.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now